Author Topic: December Christmas Marathon Discussion Thread HoHoHo!  (Read 25470 times)

RossRoy

Re: December Christmas Marathon Discussion Thread HoHoHo!
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 10:40:17 PM »
Hopefully we can get a few stragglers to do the half marathon this time round?

I've spoken about this at work, poking around to gauge interest. Well, it turned out into a full blown movie marathon among colleagues! (it's only 15-20 movies, but still!)

So what I did is ask them to send me the list of movie they plan on watching, and I'll create a poster that we'll put in the cafeteria (we tried for the reception, but it didn't fly too well with the bosses, even though 1 of them is participating), with cover scans and people can then put whatever they wish to mark it as read (push pins, stars, check marks, etc). We'll see how it turns out!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 11:28:28 PM »
Hopefully we can get a few stragglers to do the half marathon this time round?

I tried last month in the German Profiler forum to get some new participants. With no success  :(

RossRoy

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2007, 04:08:18 PM »
Alright, 31 movies ripped and ready to be watched!  :training:

(Yes, I prefer having them on my hdd and just mount the image, rather than take the disc out every time, I'm weird like that).

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 07:35:23 PM »
The first movie I will probably watch in this marathon will be "The Princess Bride". After seeing "Stardust" this week, I feel like watching it again  :tv:

lyonsden5

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 07:49:32 PM »
The first movie I will probably watch in this marathon will be "The Princess Bride".
:o Inconceivable!

:hysterical:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 09:19:51 PM »
I am not even going to reserve a spot in the other thread. There is no way I will manage to watch 31 movies during December...

...and I don't really want to either. For once I have several days planned for other stuff already and I also need to get going to arrange the new computer (organizing the files, getting accustomed to the new software a little more). So, I'll watch as much as I can, but no way up to 31. I have seen it doesn't have to be Christmas movies after all, which wouldn't have been easy for me, but still...

I'll join again in February. In January I am going to Germany for 2 weeks, without my DVDs, but in February, then I have a week holiday! (Chinese New Year) :yahoo:

RossRoy

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 10:48:08 PM »
So, I'll watch as much as I can, but no way up to 31.

You could reserve your spot, and do a half-marathon  ;) or option C

12 DVDS of Christmas (C)...
Watch 12 films or TV episodes linked directly to Christmas

lyonsden5

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2007, 03:27:40 PM »
Richie, I see you gave "The Escape Clause" a 2/10. That's a pretty low score! :laugh:

When I watched it last week I didn't expect much, but even at that I was pretty disappointed. The first one was really good. The 2nd at least had a good story. This one just looked as though they were making it up as they went along. There were very few parts where I even chuckled. Another series of movies that should have ended at two, although I'm sure they made a boatload of cash on it and that's all that mattered.

And one more comment:
(click to show/hide)

Probably would have rated it a 3 or 4 though had I included it in my marathon last month (was sandbaggin it in case I needed to pull one out for this month :bag: ). Although looking at my ratings I guess most of my stuff is high, even if I didn't like it that much. Hmmmm... time to re-evaluate

richierich

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2007, 07:04:17 PM »
Richie, I see you gave "The Escape Clause" a 2/10. That's a pretty low score! :laugh:

When I watched it last week I didn't expect much, but even at that I was pretty disappointed. The first one was really good. The 2nd at least had a good story. This one just looked as though they were making it up as they went along. There were very few parts where I even chuckled. Another series of movies that should have ended at two, although I'm sure they made a boatload of cash on it and that's all that mattered.

^^ couldn't put it better myself Rick, major disappointment, just cashing-in on the previous 2 films success.
Not a great start to the marathon  :(

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2007, 07:17:15 PM »
From the other thread:
bumped above the November marathon - hopefully will attract some new runners  ;)

I propose, that the two threads of the current month's marathon are pinned.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2007, 10:50:08 PM »
I have gotten a good start on my Christmas marathon. I started with 2 of my all time favorites; Rudolph and Frosty. I rated them both as a 10, generous I know but I can’t help it I love them. They make me happy and I look forward to seeing them every year.

The third movie I watched was The Polar Express. Although I did enjoy it I’m afraid I was disappointed. The interesting thing is that my disappointment related to some of the topics we’ve discussed in these forums, Tom Hanks in particular.

This might be the first film that Tom Hanks did that I saw him instead of the character(s) he is portraying. Whoever designed the animation made the main character look too much like Tom; it was eerily life like, so much so all I could see was Tom Hanks.

This was a major mistake as far as I am concerned. I think the movie should have designed the character another way; for example I liked Tom Hanks in Toy Story because I saw Woody as Woody.

What makes this so sad is that I really enjoyed the rest of the movie; the visual effects, story line and general feel of the movie was great. But… :'(

Najemikon

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2007, 11:01:15 PM »
I've never seen The Polar Express, because I don't like the clips of the animation. Reviews comment on the "dead eyes" and I agree. It seems to leave it cold and creepy, going against the intentions of the story and leaving you with no choice but to focus on Tom Hanks.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2007, 11:02:36 PM »
I have started the first day of the marathon with 6!! movies. Just to get a good start to be able to watch 31 movies this month  :laugh:
I am even watching "Les Douze travaux d'Astérix" a second time now. As a DVD bonus, each Asterix movie has an extra audio track (on the German release) with the movie dubbed in a different German dialect. This movie (my favorite of all Asterix movies) is dubbed in my native Bavarian  :thundergod:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 03:40:09 AM »
You could reserve your spot, and do a half-marathon  ;) or option C
That sounded interesting, so I checked... I have 3 movies and maybe 4 TV episodes that are directly linked with Christmas (well, with "Christmas" in the Overview) :bag: I guess I could find 2 or 3 more if I looked hard, but still not enough. (I'll take a deeper look, as 12 sounds like a fair number and would give me something to do on the actual holidays, after work :stars:)

RossRoy

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2007, 05:40:24 AM »
The third movie I watched was The Polar Express.

Hey! I forgot about that one! I'll have to slip it in, it is a Xmas movie after all! :) Thanks for reminding me!