Author Topic: Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman Marathon  (Read 15304 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman Marathon
« on: July 13, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »
Lois & Clark
The New Adventures of Superman

Season 1:
Share the soaring adventure and romantic fun in this Deluxe 6-Disc DVD Set of 21 first-season episodes, including a Feature-Length Pilot and High-Flying Extras. As DAILY PLANET reporters CLARK KENT and LOIS LANE, Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher clash, cooperate and flirt while chasing the hottest stories in METROPOLIS. The hottest scoop of all is Lois's secret heartthrob, the superhero she doesn't know is Clark's alter ego.

Disc 1:

1. Pilot (9/12/93)
Mild-mannered Clark Kent arrives in Metropolis, becomes a reporter for the Daily Planet, and creates his secret Superman identity. His first challenge: stop Lex Luthor from sabotaging the Space Station.

My Thoughts:
This is a double length episode that started the series. I enjoyed every minute of this episode. It is a good introduction to the characters. I did find it strange that they had Lex Luthor with hair.... but that is ok... it didn't take away from the show for me. This season is the only one to have the character of Cat played by Tracy Scoggins.  I don't mind that she was in the only season... as Cat has always been my least favorite character of the series. I really enjoyed the scene where Martha Kent was making Clark's Superman outfit. Some of the costumes they came up for him was pretty funny... but there was actually one or two that I kinda liked. Of course not as much as the real costume... but cool for some newly made up superhero.  Another reason I really like this show... it focuses more on the lives of Lois and Clark... making Superman something Clark can do... not who he is.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

2. Strange Visitor (From Another Planet) (9/26/93)
Superman discovers his roots. A phony warrant leads Clark to proof of his alien origin... and to a shadowy federal agent who wants Superman dead.

My Thoughts:
A very good episode to continue from the pilot movie. It had a great story. I really liked how they handled Clark finding out where he is from. It was only a short piece of the story... but it was done well. I did like the pilot movie a little better then this episode... but that could be because of the length. Where they had more time to tell the story then they did in this episode... which was maybe just ever so slightly rushed.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman Marathon
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:06:44 PM »
What I found interesting, were the different advertisement techniques for such a show.

The original title is "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" but in Germany it's reversed: "Superman: Die Abenteuer von Lois & Clark" (and no "new" adventures, just adventures).

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:23:17 PM »
The original title is "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" but in Germany it's reversed: "Superman: Die Abenteuer von Lois & Clark" (and no "new" adventures, just adventures).

I always liked the original title better, as it shows, that Lois & Clark are the focus of the show, not Superman. The "new" alludes to the old George Reeves Superman series "The Adventures of Superman". I don't know if that show even aired in Germany, so the play on "The (New) Adventures of Superman" probably wouldn't have worked here.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:42:29 PM »
While that is interesting... I agree with Tom. The original title is much better for the series. As Lois and Clark was more the center of the story.

I have all 6 seasons of the George Reeves Superman too... may have to do a marathon of that series sometime soon too!
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:47:36 PM »
I have all 6 seasons of the George Reeves Superman too... may have to do a marathon of that series sometime soon too!

I still have season 3-6 in my unwatched pile. I still haven't seen George in color yet :laugh:

Rogmeister

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:11:15 AM »
I recall that they altered the costume just a bit from the pilot to the other episodes...his "S" emblem got about 5 times bigger (well, 2 times at least) and his first costume looked like it was made of cloth while his costume after that looked almost like it was made of rubber...very slick-looking.  Not that I'm complaining...  :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:29:48 AM »

I always liked the original title better, as it shows, that Lois & Clark are the focus of the show, not Superman.

Yes, I agree. I assume they changed the title, because they (the marketing guys) assumed that "Superman" has a much higher associative power than "Lois & Clark" (everybody has heard of Superman, even my granny, but I very much doubt that she has a clue who Clark Kent is).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:05:31 AM »
I recall that they altered the costume just a bit from the pilot to the other episodes...his "S" emblem got about 5 times bigger (well, 2 times at least) and his first costume looked like it was made of cloth while his costume after that looked almost like it was made of rubber...very slick-looking.  Not that I'm complaining...  :laugh:

I never really noticed the size of the S before... but I did notice how the cape connects to the suit has changed.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:07:19 AM »
I take that back... it is pretty obvious about the S on his chest on Disc 2!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 01:14:15 AM »
3. Neverending Battle (10/3/93)
To test just how strong and fast Superman is, Lex Luthor masterminds a series of emergencies around Metropolis to assess the Man of Steel in action.

My Thoughts:
A good episode. In this episode they really added to the comedic levels. I loved how Clark knocked Lois down a peg or 2 after she stole his story.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

4. I'm Looking Through You (10/10/93)
A nerdy scientist who's invented invisibility suits becomes the unseen Robin Hood of Metropolis. Then crooks swipe some suits, steal from the rich...and keep the loot.

My Thoughts:
An entertaining episode... if not a little on the silly side. In this episode one of the guest stars is Leslie Jordan. I had to look that name up as it is one of those deals where I know him so well when I see him... but had no idea who he is. One of those faces that shows up all over the place.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

5. Requiem for a Superhero (10/17/93)
Cyborgs vs. Superman. Lois and Clark go after a heavyweight story: corrupt fight promoters with a stable of bionic boxers. (And the doctor who created the humanoid machines for Lois's father!)

My Thoughts:
This is a very good episode. It is one of my favorites. I really enjoyed the story. I much more serious one compared to the last couple episodes. Though it did still have some laughs in it. I loved the scene with Superman in the boxing ring.  Especially since he had to hold back against the guy as Clark Kent.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

6. I've Got a Crush on You (10/24/93)
Dressed in feathers, Lois goes onstage to investigate a series of nightclub arsons. But she's upstaged by the new bartender: Clark, who's determined to get the story and ice the arsonists.

My Thoughts:
While ok... this has never been a favorite episode of mine. Not that Lois didn't look great in it... but I could have went without the whole nightclub scene...and never been much for organized crime stories. Which of course is a big part (basically all) of the storyline.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 04:07:33 PM »
6. I've Got a Crush on You
Pete's Thoughts:
While ok... this has never been a favorite episode of mine.

It has always been a favorite of mine. I like the way Clark (once again) basically puts Lois in her place (ratting her out if I recall correctly)

Lois and Clark has always been one of my favorite TV shows. I love the chemistry between the two of them. IMO Dean Cain is a the best Clark Kent / Superman of any of them. The supporting cast is great as well. Perry White is perfect! The Mom and Dad are great (love the phone calls where they each pick up  :laugh: ). The only issue I had was with Jimmy Olson in S1... and they do a good job remedying that situation in S2

Great marathon Pete. Enjoying your take so far.  :thundergod:

Rogmeister

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »
I don't know if it's true but I heard they replaced the first Jimmy Olsen in this series because they decided he looked too much like Clark.  Of course, in the comic books, Jimmy always had red hair but they never had a Jimmy with red hair in the TV shows or in the movies.  Another person I liked in the series was Tracy Scoggins (I liked her before the series ever started) but they never really had anything for her to do so I wasn't surprised when the actress left the show after season 1.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 05:07:18 PM »
I heard the same thing about the reason they replaced Jimmy. I think I mentioned earlier that I didn't care for Tracy Scoggins on this show... so I didn't mind at all that she was gone the next season.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »
7. Smart Kids (10/31/93)
With financial support from Lex Luthor, a mad scientist gives orphans an intelligence-boosting potion. But the kids escape...and use their cerebral powers to disrupt Metropolis.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun episode. I enjoyed watching the kids seeing how much stuff they could get into. And I especially enjoyed what turned out to be a prank on Lex Luther towards the end. I remember when I originally watched this episode that I would have liked to see a follow-up episode with these kids... as even at the end of the episode they still half-heartedly believed Clark was Superman.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 12:14:07 AM »
8. The Green, Green Glow of Home (11/14/93)
Lois and Clark investigate a suspicious EPA story in Smallville. But it isn't man-made toxins the feds are after - but a chunk of Kryptonite, the substance that can rob Superman of his powers or even his life.

My Thoughts:
This is an excellent episode. It is the first time we get to see Kryptonite in the series... and the second (and final) appearance of Trask... the government agent that was obsessed with killing Superman. Not only is it a great action-packed story... it is also a fun one what with Lois out of her element and in Smallville with Clark. I got a kick out of when she told Clark to look at that man (unknowingly pointing to his father) and saying he is probably a cross dresser.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete