Poll

Will I Make 92 Days without watching any horror?

What are you smokin?... There is no way!
4 (26.7%)
I Have  Faith!... You will make it!
11 (73.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Will I Make It?  (Read 46928 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Will I Make It?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 04:56:12 PM »
Wow... I must not be right in the head today... not thinking straight. I actually almost slipped up today. I had one of my Vampire High dvds pulled out and just about to pop it into the player before I remembered I am not allowed to watch it right now!  :slaphead:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »
Since I'm sure that you will read this one :P

If you had not decided yet all the title you will order for the marathon this year, a nice Canadian "classic" get the special treatment the october 6 (I know you had it like me, but the current dvd isn't really great)

The Gate: Monstrous Special Edition

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »
Awesome! I haven't thought about what titles I would buy this year... other the a small handful of possibilities. Yes I do already have The Gate... but would love to upgrade it to a special edition!
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 06:17:19 AM »
Thanks Jimmy, wish-listed...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »
What to do... what to do?..

My niece and sis-in-law recently gave me a late B'day present...

And now every time I see them they ask me if I watched it yet and what I thought of it. I know most people do not see this movie as horror... and in DVDP it is listed as Drama, Fantasy & Romance. But I have always seen anything dealing with Vampires to at the very least have an under-tone of horror... after all vampires are monsters.

Can a movie dealing with a horror monster in any way not be considered at least partially horror? I not sure I think so. What is all your thoughts on this?

And before you ask... yes I do see stuff like Buffy the Vampire Slayer as horror. As they are creatures that are trying to kill you. But in this case it seems it is just a romance story with one of the involved happens to be a vampire? I don't know. I never seen anything dealing with vampires that wasn't at least partially horror.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »
Vampires = Horror. End of story.

(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »
See... that is the way I always believed...  Vampires=Horror.

I tried to explain it to them... they don't get it as they do not see it as horror in any way shape or form. So they will just have to deal with I will get to it when I get to it.  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 07:27:12 PM »
Empire commented in their recent review for Let The Right One In that Vampire is almost a separate sub-genre now, because it's got so unique and wide. But you have to think what the basis of the creature is, and that's horror; an abomination, something that can't exist and if it did, would be an fundamental threat to what humans have become accustomed to. Even if used for pure comedy, the dead don't come back to life and the idea they do is horrific.

Vampirism though has always been tied in with sex, so although the creature is horror, often the stories are actually fantasy wish-fulfillment for immortal power, etc, not far removed from super-heroes. You asked before about Hellboy, but no-one actually wants to be a creature from Hell, no matter how cool he is. But live forever with super strength? Hmmmm...

So it is horror, but maybe you can make an exception, because it's played off as fantasy and in this case and you're torturing your relatives! :voodoo: :devil:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 07:33:25 PM »
For me the context is important. I don't see Forever Knight as a horror show, just because Nick is a Vampire. For a Vampire movie to be a horror movie the intention has to be that the Vampire(s) are supposed to infuse fear into the viewer.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 07:49:15 PM »
@Jon...
I don't know... will have to think about that... as making an exception to me feels like I would be cheating. But maybe after a few more opinions I may be able to be convinced... I dunno.

@Karsten
I understand what you are saying about the context being important. And I agree with that with some horrors. But when it comes to monsters (Vampires, Werewolves and so on) in my opinion it at least has horror aspects to it as such creatures are horror.

The question that remains for me... in this case the horror is such a small aspect to it...  is it enough to effect my abstaining from horror? or is it such a slight  part of the movie that it is not enough to be seen as horror for a horror marathon. I do have other movies while I classify it as having horror aspects... it is not enough where I would include it in my horror marathon.

This is also something I will be looking at when I watch Hellboy. If it is not enough horror in my opinion to include it in that marathon... I will not add it to that marathon and actually review it in my separate movies I have watched recently thread.

Maybe I should get some more opinions at the other site as well.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 07:52:04 PM »
Sorry Pete it's an horror movie and a pretty stupid one. Just wait to see the baseball game and you will understand why it is :laugh:

Just pass it to Brittany she will like it, since it's a girl movie :tease:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »
Just wait to see the baseball game and you will understand why it is :laugh:

Just because it makes you shiver doesn't mean it's a horror movie, it could simply be that bad.  :tease:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2009, 08:10:03 PM »
Just to clarify : the baseball game is related to the stupid part not the horror one. Like I've said it's girl horror, probably not horror for Pete but horror anyway.

Let Brittany watch it Pete, she will tell you ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2009, 08:18:06 PM »
LOL... I will probably just do what I am doing with Hellboy. Wait... watch it during the month and if I don't think it is enough post it in the other thread instead of the horror marathon thread.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »
Another Canadian horror classic to be released in october from Anchor Bay. Not a lot of info about the extra, but at least the cover can't be uglier than the previous released of this film. Almost forgot the title... It's Happy Birthday to Me and this is a great horror movie ;D

Pre-order link at DVD Empire

It would be great to see more of those Canadian classics properly released in the future.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:32:28 PM by Jimmy »