Author Topic: Dollhouse - Season 1  (Read 974 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Dollhouse - Season 1
« on: September 21, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »

I watched this show from the time it started airing in February.  I liked the show from the beginning, though I do agree that it got better as the season progressed.  Many things aren’t fully explained in the first episode, so things don’t make the most sense at that point.  There was more focus on Echo and the engagements she was going on during the first several episodes while slowly starting to share things about the Dollhouse in general.  About half way through the season, there seems to be a shift so that there is more attention going to the overall story line dealing with the Dollhouse instead of just focusing on the engagements.  Those are still shown, but there is also a lot more with the Dollhouse being shared.  The episodes are very interesting and entertaining, though I can see the show being too different for some people.  There is sort of some closure to one or two things by the end of the season while leaving all sorts of other possibilities open for the future.

The basic idea for the show is intriguing and provides a lot of possibilities for stories.  There is a decent amount of action in the episodes, mostly happening during the various engagements that are shown.  Most of the engagements include Echo, though one or two others are also shown.  The violence that turns up isn’t too extreme or graphic.  I do think there is a good amount of mystery to what is going on. 

I think the characters are interesting and I’m still interested in learning more about them.  I think the cast does well, though at times some of them seem more...stiff. 

The DVD includes the original pilot that ultimately wasn’t used.  After watching it, I think the right decision was made to redo it.  The episode was still entertaining, but several things didn’t make as much sense.  The DVD also includes an extra episode called Epitaph One that is mostly set in the future and shows the impact of what was going on in the Dollhouse.  There are some flashbacks as well that show things like when Topher got his job.  The episode is very interesting in showing where things are leading.  Whedon did make this one with a smaller budget and I’ve heard him say that he thinks being able to do the episode with the lower budget helped to get the show renewed.  The DVD also includes other extras on the making of the show, including one where Whedon gives a tour of the Dollhouse set, pointing out various things.  The extras are very entertaining.

The episodes in Dollhouse do get stronger as the season progresses, so the show is worth checking out.  I think the DVD set is a good one for fans of the show.

:thumbup:

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Dollhouse - Season 1