Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 14877 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Doctor Who
« on: May 30, 2009, 08:14:38 PM »
What seems to be a millenia ago* I watched some Dr. Who episodes on TV and now I decided to plunge in again and ordered the first season of the new series (with David Tennant as the tenth Time Lord). Hope it's worth it.

Here's David and Catherine Tate on a Red Nose Day special:

*but that can't be. I was in Asia a millenia ago (wasn't to keen on the crusades) and they didn't have TVs there.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 02:13:23 AM »
Yeah, they're pretty good and Tenant makes a great Doctor! Have you seen the Christopher Eccleston ones?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 07:19:13 AM »
I don't know which Doctor it was back then. I watched it in the early nineties but the episodes could be from any time.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 01:45:30 PM »
No, Eccleston was the brand new Doctor in 2005 when the BBC relaunched it, but despite being perfect in the role, he decided he didn't want to be typecast and stepped down. Tenant has now done three series plus specials and three or so in the pipeline, but the next full series will be with Matt Smith.

Early 90s? That could have been the film with Paul McGann which bore very little resemblance to the series! If that's all you've seen so far you're in for a treat... :P

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 01:54:23 PM »
No it was the series, it ran about 5 o'clock in the morning on Saturdays and was about 25 minutes long. From what I remember I'd date the episodes in the 70s.
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 02:03:25 PM »
Oh sorry, I misread your earier post and thought you'd been watching a current series. Well, despite some good ideas and great atmosphere, I always found Dr. Who to be very silly and cheap, but I really enjoy the new ones. I'm not sure now which one you're getting (first new Dr. Who, or first Tennant) but either way they're worth seeing.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 02:45:22 PM »
This one

And I already wondered why the guy didn't look like Tennant. I thought Tennant had been the Time Lord since the restart.
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 02:55:45 PM »
 :laugh: Don't be concerned though. The real star of the new Dr. Who is the writing and Eccleston would have been as huge as Tennant, if he'd continued.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 09:32:20 PM »
I've watched the first season series now and I really liked. It was only then that I recognized Eccleston as the invisible guy from the first season of Heroes. I agree that Eccleston could have been great as The Doctor. Now let's see how Tennant is doing.

Second series is ordered.
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 11:44:22 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it! Personally I do prefer Tennant, but a lot of that is because he's had so much more time in the role that he inhabits it very well indeed now. By the way, do these sets include the specials? I'm sure the regeneration was part of a Christmas special, because I remember Rose was very good at trying to hide him while he recovered, all the while wondering who the hell he was! :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 09:50:19 AM »
No, the regen was in the last two minutes of the last episode. It basically ended with the scene you see in the YT video. But the xmas special is part of the second series.

Practically every disc has some sort of special feature, e.g. Interview with Christopher, Deconstructing Big Ben, Designing Doctor Who, The Adventures of Captain Jack, ...
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »
Ah yes, of course. Doctor Who always ends with the regeneration. The Christmas special picks it up immediately.

I'd forgotten about Captain Jack. Are you aware of the excellent spin-off, called Torchwood? It is a slightly more adult take on the Doctor Who world. They don't really do crossovers (except Jack is a regular guest on Who and the whole team were involved against the Dalek's once), but their stories sometimes deal with the fall-out from the Doctor's escapades.

There's another spin-off called The Sarah Jane Adventures, which is very much for younger kids, but does feature the wonderful K9. They were reintroduced via the proper stories and I think a scene with K9 and Mickey in a car is my favourite. I seem to remember Giles was the villain that week! Oh, and Spike popped up in Torchwood too. ;)

lovemunkey187

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 12:49:56 PM »
Ah yes, of course. Doctor Who always ends with the regeneration. The Christmas special picks it up immediately.

I'd forgotten about Captain Jack. Are you aware of the excellent spin-off, called Torchwood? It is a slightly more adult take on the Doctor Who world. They don't really do crossovers (except Jack is a regular guest on Who and the whole team were involved against the Dalek's once), but their stories sometimes deal with the fall-out from the Doctor's escapades.

There's another spin-off called The Sarah Jane Adventures, which is very much for younger kids, but does feature the wonderful K9. They were reintroduced via the proper stories and I think a scene with K9 and Mickey in a car is my favourite. I seem to remember Giles was the villain that week! Oh, and Spike popped up in Torchwood too. ;)

Slightly gonna have to disagree with you about Torchwood.

The first season is awful.

The Second season is very good.

Unfortunatley watching series one is quite important to fully understanding series two.

Plus James Marsters does a cracking job in his guest role.

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 12:55:06 PM »
Certianly it got better, but I felt it was always a good idea that fit in well with Doctor Who, but I never watched it religously. I was just glad it existed! In the middle of all the reality crap, Who and Torchwood might as well have been solid gold... :shrug:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 11:23:52 PM »
From what point exactly did Torchwood branch off?
Karsten