Author Topic: Borrowing DVDs from the Library  (Read 3503 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Borrowing DVDs from the Library
« on: May 21, 2009, 06:12:51 PM »
Today I had to stop by the library to get some copies made. I look over to the far wall and I see it filled with DVDs you can borrow. Needless to say I got myself a library card... found out you can get 5 DVDs out at a time and keep them for a week. I walked through and saw many possibilities but decided to limit myself to 3 titles this week... I borrowed...

- Good Luck Chuck (I love me some Jessica Alba!)  :drooling:
- 3:10 To Yuma (Heard good things)
- Rocky Balboa (The only Rocky movie I never seen!)
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Borrowing DVDs from the Library
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:20:21 PM »
And as you know, in my opinion the best of the bunch!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 06:35:53 PM »
Yeah... I am looking forward to it. I know I liked all the other Rocky movies.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:34:25 PM »
Today I had to stop by the library to get some copies made. I look over to the far wall and I see it filled with DVDs you can borrow. Needless to say I got myself a library card... found out you can get 5 DVDs out at a time and keep them for a week. I walked through and saw many possibilities but decided to limit myself to 3 titles this week... I borrowed...

- Good Luck Chuck (I love me some Jessica Alba!)  :drooling:
- 3:10 To Yuma (Heard good things)

Which version of 3:10? I'm guessing the new one...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »
Yup... 2007 version with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »
The library here has DVDs too...I haven't checked on renting any in like a year.  The selection here isn't that great.  But I should check again.  There are a few books I've been meaning to check for there too.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 12:48:29 AM »
I will be probably the only one here with this opinion but...

Movie had nothing to do in a library there are many others places to rent films. This isn't for nothing if the youngs today don't read and can't write ::)

:tomato:

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 01:18:23 AM »
I will be probably the only one here with this opinion but...

Movie had nothing to do in a library there are many others places to rent films. This isn't for nothing if the youngs today don't read and can't write ::)

:tomato:

I agree with this so far as the pathetic selection Pete described! Don't misunderstand me, I'd happily buy any of them and don't blame Pete for grabbing them.

However I don't mind in principle, although books should always come first. I've noticed our libraries also at least used to have a small selection of videos and DVDs, but they were of key, important films or documentaries. Not the latest teen comedy.  ::) Libraries are free for a very important reason. If they start lending any old shit, well, what's the point?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 02:37:30 AM »
The library here has a lot more movies than they use to.  And they are in an area that had books before.  I'm not sure if those books got moved somewhere else or what.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 03:46:42 AM »
I've noticed our libraries also at least used to have a small selection of videos and DVDs, but they were of key, important films or documentaries.
This is the only exception that I can understand and don't have problem with. At least you can learn something from a documentary, I don't talk of propaganda documentary like the Michael Moore's one by exemple. Important films, no problem to see movies like Citizen Kane, Birth of a Nation, Apocalypse Now or Shindler List in a library. But this isn't the place for Iron Man, Epic Movie, There Something About Mary or 95% of what I own (but that would be great :laugh:).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 04:32:27 AM »
Our library has a whole wall dedicated to nothing but DVDs... of all types. I did see Citizen Kane there. Almost picked it up today too... but held off. But they have all kinds of movies and TV series... Should they being a library? I dunno if they really should... but hey a free way to watch them... you better believe I will take advantage of it!  :P
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 10:04:51 AM »
OK, it's been a while since I last set foot into a library. It was still back in the days of VHS. Our library had some of them but they were all of the kind that Jon described, like Effi Briest or Schindler's List, etc.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 10:07:56 AM »
or 95% of what I own

Don't you own Schulmädchen-Report? It's quite the decumentary. ;D
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 07:13:53 PM »
Yes, only the first one. I will have to continue the serie one day since I've like this one. I think that Impulse had released the first five in North America at this time.

Boomstick98

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 10:42:49 PM »
My local library has 2 rows of nothing but DVDs. It has grown a lot over the last year. It started out with only the classics and educational documentaries, but now its a little bit of everything. I agree that films like porky's seems out of place at the public library. :-\ A lot of their DVDs are donations though, so I think they will accept most anything as a donation. They have a rather large VHS section as well. I donated a good portion of my old VHS collection to them myself.