Author Topic: I Love Lucy: The Complete Series  (Read 936 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
I Love Lucy: The Complete Series
« on: May 11, 2009, 05:32:47 PM »
This month I ordered I Love Lucy: The Complete Series DVD Set. I pretty much blind bought it. So every since I ordered it I been researching the set to get an idea what I got myself into. Doing so I found some good images of the packaging....

I have to admit... while the packaging looks pretty cool... I have the same concern about it as I do The Brady Bunch Complete Series set I have. Being in a multiple disc cardboard envelope I worry about the possibility of the discs getting scratched...

The DVDs themselves are from the individual sets... except for season one... the season 1 discs in this set has been digitally restored... which apparently the first season set separately was not. Or not as good... or something like that I am not completely clear on the matter. Plus with the complete series set you get a bonus disc that you can not get with the individual sets..

This bonus disc includes...

- Colorized version of "Lucy Goes to Scotland"
pretty obvious what this is. They colorized an episode from season 5 for some reason
- I Love Lucy:  The Movie
In 1953 with the TV show being so successful, Desilu decided to create a theatrical movie by stitching together three episodes from the first season (The Benefit, Breaking the Lease, and The Ballet.)  Some extra material was filmed to join the episodes together and an intro was created. The movie was never released, since studio execs thought it would hurt the box office results of Lucy and Desi's film The Long, Long, Trailer, which was in release at the time.  Shelved, the movie was forgotten until it was discovered 50 year later.
- A three minute Kinetescope excerpt from The Ed Wynn show
The first time Desi and Lucy appeared on TV together was as guests on The Ed Wynn show  in 1949.
- Phillip Morris introduction to First Episode
The disc concludes with the Phillip Morris introduction, by John Stephenson on the set of the show, to the first episode of I Love Lucy.

Nothing to get too excited about... and not what I would consider worth buying the series over again if I had the season sets... but a nice to have type thing.

I got this set at a decent price ($120) through my Columbia House membership (Something I seldomly use). I was surprised after placing this order on Thursday May 7th... that I have not gotten a shipment notice yet. Seems like it is taking a long time for this one to ship. So today I called Columbia House. And they tell me that the set actually shipped on Friday May 8th. But for some reason their email notifications are delayed by a few days... that I should be getting the email sometime today... and I should be seeing the set within the next few days. So my fingers are crossed that this set arrives soon.... and safely.
Pete