Author Topic: Comedy? Weekend Marathon  (Read 13318 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Comedy? Weekend Marathon
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »

Title : Disaster Movie (2008)

Overview
Disaster Movie  follows the comic misadventures of a group of ridiculously attractive twenty-somethings during one fateful night as they try to make their way to safety while every known natural disaster and catastrophic event - asteroids, twisters, earthquakes, the works - hits the city and their path.

My Impression
Wow this was laborious to watch, this isn't for nothing if I've seen only one movie at this hour. From the beginning to the end it took me five hours to complete it... Just to give you an idea the first Curse of Lizzie Borden looks like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre compare to this movie, but it's better than The Sorority but not by much... All the movie is a pointless waste of time... Starting with references to the trailer (certainly not the movie) of Iron Man, Hancock, Superbad, Jumper, Step Up 2, 10 000 BC, Kung Fu Panda, The Love Guru, ... With the usual already dated celebrity refence coming out of nowhere (Amy Winehouse, Jessica Simpson, Flava-Flav, Michael Jackson,...). The movie end with a song so annoying that the one sing by the CGI frog looks like a Beatles song... Even the Chipmunk are there, the real one were annoying and those cheap puppets are even more...  The "big" name in this one is Kim Kardashian for crying out loud, any idea what she is famous for? A cheap "star" sex video : Kim Kardashian, superstar and believe me this film is bad (but better than the one reviewed here).

Not everything is negative : Carmen Electra in a wrestling spandex suit (common it's hard to find something enjoyable in this mess) and Crista Flanagan had some funny line in her Juno spoof (easy to explain since most of her line are improvise), but after her death nothing interesting really happen anymore.

Pete, the Iron Man thing is just what you have seen in the trailer : he say "I'm Iron Man" two times, a cow fell on him and he is a red and yellow can that's all. Funny isn't it?

Rating :
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:40:32 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 04:09:03 AM »

Title : The Underground Comedy Movie (1999)

Overview
The Underground Comedy Movie is the ultimate in-your-face satirical comedy that follows the hilarious tradition of The Kentucky Fried Movie! Chock-full of irreverent skits and parodies of TV shows, music videos and human follow. It is sure to make you laugh and likely to make you squirm. Supermodels to bag ladies, no one escapes the biting onslaught of this incredible lampoonery.

My Impression
This is the movie made by Vince Offer and you know this guy already even if you have never seen this film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwRISkyV_B8
I will certainly not write that this movie is good, since it is a pretty cheap film made with the same formula used in The Kentucky Fried Movie and some cheaper ones made more than 20 years ago by myself and some friends (lost movie and deserving this fate). So the film is really uneven some of the skits are funny like the one with a KKK member at a black talk show or the Godfather parody that end with the producer who wakes up with a dead horse head in his bed (but it's replace with a pineapple ham, because the guy is Jewish... I know it's racist but it's funny anyway) or watching Slash (the Guns N'Roses guitarist at the time for those who don't know) completly drunk trying to act or Michael Clarke Duncan in the role of a gay guy (he plays this as a big tough guy not as a stereotype, this is why I've found that funny). The rest is really weak and unfunny...

Not really a recommandation but certainly the best movie I've reviewed today.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 07:16:08 AM »

Title : Not Another Teen Movie (2001)

Overview
In this over-the-top parody of the classic moments in teen movie history, super-jock Jake Wyler makes a bet with his buddies that he can turn the school frump into a prom queen.

My Impression
We are almost at the end of the marathon and I've decided to watch one that I know and like. This one is the best of this genre made in this decade and yes I find this better than Shaun of the Dead (Sorry Jon). Evidently the fact that I've watched most of the movies referenced in this help to my appreciation. This isn't really good for my reputation but at one point I was watching regulary movies like Can't Hardly Wait, Varsity Blues, She's All That, Cruel Intentions, Never Been Kissed, ... Since I'm 39 years old I've watched the batch of eighties teen movie (The Breakfast Club, Risky Bussiness, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, ...) too (but I was a teenager than) so it's good to see the references at those movie too. The cameo done by Molly Ringwald (God she's beautifull) and Paul Gleason are nice surprises. The casting choices are particullary good with many up and coming young actors who had move for most of them to "better" thing. One of the best choice is Lacey Chabert who in the film play the role of Amanda (the same role played By Jennifer Love Hewitt in Can't Hardly Wait), she looks exactly like JLH. There are so many great joke in this that you laugh from the beginning... By exemple when The Token Black Guy encounters the other black guy at the party or when the father of Jake presents him a rebound girl or one of my favourite line at the prom dance (Who would've guessed that everyone in school was a professional dancer?). I like the music too, nice idea to had eighties songs (original or remade) for the soundtrack.

I know that this review take some of you by surprise, but I really like this film that is exactly what a parody is suppose to be. 

Rating :

edit : I even listen an album of Jennifer Love Hewitt while I had wrote my review :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:18:42 AM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
Title : Not Another Teen Movie (2001)

This one is the best of this genre made in this decade and yes I find this better than Shaun of the Dead (Sorry Jon).

Ok, first of all, horses for courses; you like this film, you don't like Shaun of the Dead, then ok. But why would you mention them together? I find that quite bizarre! It's like saying you enjoy apples, oranges and bananas, but actually, your favourite fruit is a packet of crisps...  :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 06:16:45 AM »
I will certainly not write that this movie is good, since it is a pretty cheap film made with the same formula used in The Kentucky Fried Movie and some cheaper ones made more than 20 years ago by myself and some friends (lost movie and deserving this fate).
Pardon me, am I reading this wrong or did you make movies in the past? Are we talking video or 16mm with some friends just for fun (I used to carry a Super-8 camera around for a fortnight or so) or actual attempts to make something professional? Surely I hadn't seen you mention anything like this before...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 06:38:17 AM »
The first option. Just some unprofessional stuff with friends on video made with the equipment of our local community chanel. At first the idea was to broadcast some of them, but finally it had turned that most of the stuff was not really in good taste and not really something that we had wanted our familly to see :devil:. But it was great to watch that while drinking in a group of friend.