Author Topic: James Bond Marathon  (Read 105493 times)

richierich

Re: James Bond Marathon
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
And later he promised a kid money but then simply kicked him off the boat!

I liked that one, with the kid in the water shouting 'bloody tourist' at him  ;D

richierich

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »
Tom, is there a way you can update the first post on this thread, with our Encore ratings?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2009, 06:49:44 PM »
Tom, is there a way you can update the first post on this thread, with our Encore ratings?

Okay. I will update tomorrow at the latest.
What exactly do you mean with "Encore" ratings?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2009, 07:13:40 PM »
Maybe something like this?

Week  TitleYearRichTomJames
Jan 26 - Feb 01Dr. No1962

richierich

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »
Maybe something like this?

Week  TitleYearRichTomJames
Jan 26 - Feb 01Dr. No1962

Exactly  :thumbup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2009, 08:37:38 PM »
I have updated the first post. I included only those, who have given more than one review with rating.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2009, 06:44:28 PM »
I have a question.  Believe it or not, I'm just now getting into Bond.  Prior to the Blu-ray releases, I had only seen a single Bond movie (A View to a Kill at a drive in).  So now I'm picking them up on Blu-ray and have watched Dr. No, From Russia with Love and the two latest with Daniel Craig.

My question is, do these need to be watched in any particular order?  I can now watch the 3rd and 4th, but I'm missing 5-7 and have no idea when they'll be released.  I assume there's no real continuity I need to be concerned with, but I'm not certain.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2009, 06:49:10 PM »
I assume there's no real continuity I need to be concerned with, but I'm not certain.

Except with the latest two, there is no real continuity between the Bonds.

Najemikon

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »
I assume there's no real continuity I need to be concerned with, but I'm not certain.

Except with the latest two, there is no real continuity between the Bonds.

There's a cute scene at the start of For Your Eyes Only that polishes off a classic villain while Bond is visiting a grave, but that's the only continuity I can think of apart from the new ones, as Tom said, and it isn't important. Nor is a developing support character, such as Robbie Coltrane in the Brosnan era.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2009, 07:54:47 PM »
Cool!  That's what I thought.  Now I can watch the ones I have saved up without fear of screwing things up.  And I already knew about the latest 2 movies, so I've already seen them in order. Passed on QoS for now anyway.  I'll wait for the better version to come out first.  It's not like I'm in a hurry to see it again.  I'm looking forward to it of course, but have plenty of other stuff to occupy me until then.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2009, 08:40:33 PM »
I have updated the first post. I included only those, who have given more than one review with rating.

This made me realize that I forgot to put the rating in for some of them.  Sorry about that.  I'll go back and do that now while I'm thinking of..or I'll forget again.   :laugh:

richierich

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2009, 11:50:53 PM »
Spy Who Loved Me

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, the 10th film in the James Bond series, ventures not only into the depths of the ocean but into the deep topic of betrayal and morality as well, placing it among the boldest of the 007 films. James Bond (Roger Moore) is coupled with Russian agent Anya 'Triple-X' Amasova (Barbara Bach) to recover stolen Soviet submarines from evil oceanographer Carl Stromberg (Curt Jurgens) and his gigantic lackey, Jaws (Richard Kiel). When Triple-X learns that Bond killed her boyfriend on a mission in the Alps, she must overcome her selfish notions of revenge and work with 007 for the good of the world. In addition to the Bond staple of girls and gadgetry, the film features beautifully shot footage of the Austrian Alps, Venice, and the Egyptian pyramids. Furthermore, director Lewis Gilbert uses the film to push the cinematic envelope with stunning underwater action sequences, that leave the viewer gasping for air and a vodka martini--shaken, not stirred.

One of my favourite Bond films, it has all the elements that I really enjoyed in 007 when I was younger, and even watching it again over 30 years after it was made it has not diminished in my view. Beautiful women (especially Bach), superb villains, great action scenes, tongue in cheek humour, exotic locations, and a 7 foot steel toothed hitman.
The opening sequence before the titles is possibly as good as any movie I have ever seen, couple of corny jokes, Bond in bed, dramatic ski chase, followed by Bond skiing off a cliff, only to open a Union Jack parachute to safely drift down the mountainside - classic stuff.
Slick production, an amazing underwater base for Jurgens megalomaniac ambitions, this would be Moores best effort as Bond. Nobody Does it Better, and in this case I agree.
 :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2009, 03:55:40 AM »

Nobody does it better than Bond, and he proves it once more in this explosively entertaining adventure that takes him from the Egyptian pyramids to the ocean floor and to a gravity-defying mountaintop ski chase! Roger Moore brings inimitable style to Agent 007 as he teams with beautiful Russian agent Anya Amasova (Barbara Bach) to stop the megalomaniac Stromberg (Curt Jurgens) from unleashing a horrific scheme for world domination.

My Thoughts

I think this is one of the best Bond movies and probably the best of the ones with Roger Moore.  The plot is very interesting and entertaining with a decent amount of action.  The bad guy worked well and had a cool evil lair.  Jaws is a perfect henchman - way more intimidating than Nick Nack was in The Man With the Golden Gun.  The car is cool even though it isn't exactly realistic.  Anya is a much better match for James than some of the previous women have been.  She's more his equal since she is also a spy.  The movie also has one of the best theme songs.  I pretty much just like everything about this one.

:thumbup:

I still have to watch the extras on my DVD..and I'll get a longer review posted on Epinions eventually.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2009, 05:51:50 AM »
Hmmm, with overall good reviews here it seems that "The Spy Who Loved Me" would be a good addition to my Wish List...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2009, 06:40:38 AM »
Jaws is a perfect henchman - way more intimidating than Nick Nack was in The Man With the Golden Gun. 
When I read this name (The character played by Richard Kiehl, not the shark), the first image that pop in my head is this one:

And yes I own this film :laugh:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:45:10 AM by Jimmy »