Author Topic: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: The Complete First Season marathon  (Read 19443 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
(click to show/hide)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Najemikon

This thing about the terminator coming through despite not being covered in flesh... haven't we discussed this before? ??? You lot have reviewed this series so many times it's going to be here somewhere!  :-X I'm sure I remember reading an article that gave a possible explanation and posting a link. Or maybe someone else posted a link. Whatever. I can't find the bloody article now, but I do remember the explanation.

It's quite right that the cyborg should only have been able to travel if covered in organic material. The story goes that the head was supposed to still be fleshy, but Fox felt it was too graphic and violent, so they had to use the skull.

First time I heard that I thought it made sense, but now I'm not so sure. A severed head bouncing around would be harder to ignore in the future rather than the idea that a scavenger finds the skull. Plus they might not have needed the doctor storyline if they'd just sent it through intact.

I think it's far more likely that they thought a metal skull flying towards the camera in the middle of a huge explosion just looked cool and sod the logic!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal

Good, we're back in action ;D After the previous episode had slowed things down a bit the series gets back on track here (IMHO). John is beginning taking things into his hands, as that's his future anyway, with things going slightly wrong as to build tension and drama (I don't count that as a spoiler)... The way the machines make sure Judgement Day happens (and in their favor) is set up in a bigger scope.

"You can go... if you can get past her." :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Queen's Gambit

:phew: Thank God episode 3 was just an intermediate slump. Also this episode was really good. They had fun dialog moments, a great action set piece with a terminator fight and some exposed terminator skull. What more can we ask for. Oh, and then there is "that 90210-guy" playing his part decently enough. The way he was introduced, by means of bringing someone back from a previous episode felt quite clever to me. And then there was grief counseling at school :)

John: "I call shotgun."
Cameron: "I call 9mm."
 :hysterical:

Najemikon

I'm not doing this particular marathon, but I have seen the series when it was on TV. In hindsight, it was excellent at surprising you by seeming to go down a conventional route then spinning off.

Examples: Pilot repeats first two films, almost verbatim. Viewer worries about it being repetitive. Cue bank scene! Worries evaporate and then they cancel out crap T3 storyline as bonus. Then there's the school scenes; oh good grief, they're doing "Terminator High"! The adventures of Johnny Connor and his Metal Friend getting into awkward scrapes... but they're off an running by the next episode! Very well done.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
4. Heavy Metal
Cameron discovers a truck loaded with enough metal to build over 500 endoskeletons. Are more Terminators about to be created?

My Thoughts

This was a very good episode.  There were hints of John starting to take more control and make decisions instead of just doing everything his mother said all the time.  Granted, his decision was a bit risky and put him in danger.  I liked seeing John try to take more control, though I also get why Sarah wanted to run.  I also thought it was interesting to see how Skynet was trying to adapt plans to make sure that Judgment Day still happened.  And Cameron offered a brief explanation for how the head and body were still working and how they were programed to repair themselves...which does tie back in to the first movie with how that Terminator was repairing himself.  It still seemed iffy to me how the body could work when the head was so far away, but it isn't bugging me as much since there has been an attempt to explain.

5. Queen's Gambit
A chess contest has the potential to link the Turk and Skynet. Meanwhile, the missing Resistance Fighter appears.

My Thoughts

This was a really good episode.  I think the potential link between the Turk and Skynet made sense.  I liked that Sarah still had some..compassion and didn't want to just start killing everyone who might possibly be connected to Skynet in the future.  Cameron was there for that..lol.  Anyway, the episode was really good and I liked the added connection to Kyle.  At first I was surprised that Derek didn't know more..but then it made sense once I thought about it. 

6. Dungeons and Dragons
Derek's consciousness shifts between his injured state in the present and the future he already knows to be true.

My Thoughts

Another really good episode.  I liked seeing bits of the future and what Derek experienced before he traveled back in time.  I'm wondering if something happened to make Derek distrust Cameron, or if he just feels that way because she's a Terminator.  I'm also wondering some other things now too and I'm anxious to finish the last episodes.  It will be hard for me to wait to finish them up.  lol.

(click to show/hide)

I'm really enjoying this show and I'm glad I decided to pick up the DVD set. 

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
04. Heavy Metal (2008-02-04)
Writer: Josh Friedman (Created By), John Enbom (Writer), James Cameron (Original Characters By), Gale Anne Hurd (Original Characters By)
Director: Sergio Mimica Gezzan
Cast: Lena Headey (Sarah Connor), Thomas Dekker (John Connor), Summer Glau (Cameron), Richard T. Jones (Agent James Ellison), Catherine Dent (Agent Greta Simpson), Brian Bloom (Carter), Andy Umberger (Davidson), Lee Thompson Young (Agent Stewart), Garret Dillahunt (Cromartie), Douglas Bennett (Guard), Michael Dempsey (Detective), Greg Eagles (Crewman #1), Mark Adair-Rios (Mike), Hector Atreyu Ruiz (Driver), Linda Shing (Dolores), Sean Smith (Dr. Lyman), Taira Soo (Office Manager)

A decent episode but nothing special. But I did like the ending. I thought it was very creepy when John had to get the key from the Terminator in stand-by mode.

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
I thought it was very creepy when John had to get the key from the Terminator in stand-by mode.

Rating:

I did too.  I half expected him to power back up and attack John.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Dungeons and Dragons

Yeah, another good episode. Some mysteries were being set up so that there is some suspense to find out what will develop from that. Seeing a T-800 during those flashbacky-forwardsy thingys (just a look-a-like though...) was nice. I thought the future scenes was quite well done and help to develop the "back"story for Derek. ("Dereks don't run." :laugh:)

I too can hardly wait for Monday so that I can continue (I have a day off Monday, in fact the whole next week, so I just might finish the last disc in one day ;D

No one ;liner stuck in my mind this time ???

I just checked and found that Season 2 is apparently a full-blown one, according to IMDb there's be 22 episodes. :thumbup:...for more content  :weep:...for higher price when purchasing the Blu-ray set later this year

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
05. Queen's Gambit (2008-02-11)
Writer: Josh Friedman (Created By), Natalie Chaidez (Writer), James Cameron (Original Characters By), Gale Anne Hurd (Original Characters By)
Director: Matt Earl Beesley
Cast: Lena Headey (Sarah Connor), Thomas Dekker (John Connor), Summer Glau (Cameron), Richard T. Jones (Agent James Ellison), Garret Dillahunt (Cromartie), Sonya Walger (Michelle Dixon), Brendan Hines (Andy Goode), Kristina Apgar (Cheri Westin), Mark Ivanir (Dmitri Shipkov), Neil Hopkins (Mr. Harris), Matt McColm (Vick Chamberlain), Brian Austin Green (Derek Reese), Dean Winters (Charley Dixon), Luis Chavez (Morris), Josue Aguirre (Bobo), Troy Cephers (Guard), Ray Chavez (Old Rebel Soldier), John de Vito (Young John), Ally Maki (Student), Jacob Witkin (Announcer)

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Funny Cameron moments ("I am busy doing John's homework" :laugh:). I like the introduction of Derek Reese, who will now be part of the cast. I also like it, that they involve Charley now in the action.

Rating:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Disc 2

Heavy Metal
Synopsis: While the others are asleep Cameron checks for possible threats and she finds a huge shipment of the alloy the Terminators are made of. It's protected by another Terminator but John wants to steal the alloy and destroy it.

My Opinion: I liked it that John took charge even if it was dangerous. But apart from that not much has actually happened.

Queen's Gambit
Synopsis: Andy - the man who had built the Turk - build yet another machine. It's a chess machine and he's competing in an computer chess tournament to win a government contract with the military. But someone kills Andy - it's the missing resistance fighter.

My Opinion: For some reason I expected the whole time that Cameron would challenge one of the chess computers. I know that they have to stay undercover and she's a machine and has no emotions, but still, something in her eyes made me expecting it. I still don't know what to think about the "FBI Terminator" / "Cromartie" yet because I have no idea what kind of plot they have for him in future episodes.

Dungeons and Dragons
Synopsis: Derek Reese, the resitsance fighter and brother of Kyle Reese, will die if his wounds aren't treated. John contacts Sarah's former fiancé from eight years ago because he is a paramedic. And while he tries to save Derek and learns the truth, Derek has dreams about his past (or future, depending on the point of view).

My Opinion: This was basically the introduction episode for Derek and since they've put that much effort in explaining his background I believe he'll stay for a while. I like him, he seems like the right type to be a resistance fighter. And with every episode I like Cameron more.

Disc 2 - My Opinion: Either I have become more lenient or they didn't make as many mistakes as in the previous episodes. I also think the addition of Derek and Charley could be interesting. But that depends on how long they will stay.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:49:32 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
06. Dungeon and Dragons (2008-02-18)
Writer: Josh Friedman (Created By), Ashley Edward Miller (Writer), Zack Stentz (Writer), James Cameron (Original Characters By), Gale Anne Hurd (Original Characters By)
Director: Jeffrey Hunt
Cast: Lena Headey (Sarah Connor), Thomas Dekker (John Connor), Summer Glau (Cameron), Richard T. Jones (Agent James Ellison), Jonathan Jackson (Kyle Reese), Edoardo Ballerini (Timms), Brendan Hines (Andy Goode), Peter Mensah (Perry), Andre Royo (Sumner), Jonathan Sadowski (Sayles), Matt McColm (Vick Chamberlain), Brian Austin Green (Derek Reese), Dean Winters (Charley Dixon)

Derek gets a little background story, which is good. The first few episodes they made it look like, that it was a regular thing to send resistance fighters back in time and now there a lot of them running around. But in this episode I get more the feeling, that the group we saw killed in the beginning of the series was maybe the only group which was sent back. Or maybe one of very few groups. I hope this is right. I don't like the idea, that they could introduce yet other people from the future whenever they feel like they need some for the story.

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
My Opinion: For some reason I expected the whole time that Cameron would challenge one of the chess computers. I know that they have to stay undercover and she's a machine and has no emotions, but still, something in her eyes made me expecting it. I still don't know what to think about the "FBI Terminator" / "Cromartie" yet because I have no idea what kind of plot they have for him in future episodes.
So did you go back and found the scene I mentioned, where it's hinted that the FBI dude is a terminator? I tried finding it again yesterday but failed (I was going to simply not bring up the topic again, but now I am curious); apparently it was earlier within an episode, not the last scene as I had suspected.