Author Topic: Tom's Buffy and Angel Marathon  (Read 55184 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Buffy and Angel Marathon
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »
20. Go Fish (1998-05-05)
Writer: Joss Whedon (Created By), David Fury (Writer), Elin Hampton (Writer)
Director: David Semel
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), David Boreanaz (Angel), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), Charles Cyphers (Coach Marin), Jeremy Garrett (Cameron Walker), Wentworth Miller (Gage Petronzi), Conchata Ferrell (Nurse Greenliegh), Armin Shimerman (Principal Snyder), Danny Strong (Jonathan), Jake Patellis (Dodd McAlvy), Shane West (Sean)

A stupid episode. The swim team takes some sort of steroids and turn into fishmonsters.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »
I was never thrilled with that episode either
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2009, 09:59:26 PM »
21. Becoming Pt. 1 (1998-05-12)
Writer: Joss Whedon (Created By), Joss Whedon (Writer)
Director: Joss Whedon
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), David Boreanaz (Angel), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), Max Perlich (Whistler), Seth Green (Oz), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce Summers), Julie Benz (Darla), Bianca Lawson (Kendra), Jack McGee (Doug Perren), Richard Riehle (Merrick), James Marsters (Spike), Juliet Landau (Drusilla), Armin Shimerman (Principal Snyder), Shannon Welles (Gypsy Woman), Zitto Kazann (Gypsy Man), Ginger Williams (Girl), Nina Gervitz (Teacher)

One of my all-time favorite episodes. This is the first time in Buffy, that they really used flashbacks to the past of Angel. I love those flashbacks to earlier lives of an immortal main character. This is the main reason I enjoyed watching the Highlander series.

Rating:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2009, 10:04:30 PM »
This and the following episode are easily among the best episodes of the entire show.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »
It's also episodes like this that seperate a show like Buffy from others. Especially Smallville comes to mind. Both shows ended their second season with the main character skipping town and having him/her being in the big city at the begin of the third season.

But there are fundamental differences: With Clark it's always like this: he makes a choice or a decision without really knowing the consequences, he has just to deal with them afterwards. But he has rarely to make a conscious hard choice, he has often the blessing of ignorance.

Buffy on the other side has to make the hard chocies, full knowing what'll cost (her). She had to kill Angel, there was no choice and she went through with it because it had to be done.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2009, 11:01:12 PM »
22. Becoming Pt. 2 (1998-05-19)
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), David Boreanaz (Angel), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), Max Perlich (Whistler), Seth Green (Oz), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce Summers), Robia LaMorte (Jenny Calendar), James G. MacDonald (Detective Stein), James Marsters (Spike), Juliet Landau (Drusilla), Armin Shimerman (Principal Snyder), Susan Leslie (First Cop), Thomas G. Waites (Second Cop)

Probably my favorite Buffy season finale. I remember first seeing it, when it was first aired in Germany and had to wait months for the new season.
As a matter of fact I think I had it taped, because I was vacationing in the US at the time. There I got to see some episodes from the third season. My first chance to see Buffy in English. At the time it was something special to have the chance to see the original language version. No DVDs and still on dial-up internet connection. I remember that the third season finale was supposed to air, but got postponed. My first taste of English language Buffy were some re-runs (Homecoming, Band Candy, and I think Doppelgangland as replacement for Graduation Day Part II).

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 11:03:38 PM »

Season 3

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2009, 09:39:22 PM »
01. Anne (1998-09-29)
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), David Boreanaz (Angel), Seth Green (Oz), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce Summers), Julia Lee (Lily), Carlos Jacott (Ken), Mary-Pat Green (Blood Bank Nurse), Chad Todhunter (Rickie), Larry Bagby III (Larry), James Lurie (Teacher), Michael Leopard (Roughneck), Harley Zumbrum (Demon Guard), Barbara Pilavin (Old Woman), Harrison Young (Old Man), Alex Toma (Aaron), Dell Yount (Truck Guy)

For a season opener rather weak. It had its moments (like the long camera shot in the beginning on the first day of school). But I think Buffy's return to Sunnydale was not handled really well and came much too fast.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2009, 11:14:16 PM »
02. Dead Man's Party (1998-10-06)
Writer: Joss Whedon (Created By), Marti Noxon (Writer)
Director: James Whitmore Jr.
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), David Boreanaz (Angel), Seth Green (Oz), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce Summers), Nancy Lenehan (Pat), Armin Shimerman (Principal Snyder), Danny Strong (Jonathan), Jason Hall (Devon), Paul Morgan Stetler (Young Doctor), Chris Garnant (Stoner #1)

An episode I never really liked. Best bit was Giles' reaction in his kitchen after Buffy's return. The zombie story was rather dull.

Rating:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2009, 09:52:56 AM »
But: When scary things get scared: Never a good sign! ;)
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »
03. Faith, Hope & Trick (1998-10-13)
Writer: Joss Whedon (Created By), David Greenwalt (Writer)
Director: James A. Contner
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), David Boreanaz (Angel), Seth Green (Oz), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce Summers), K. Todd Freeman (Mr. Trick), Fab Filippo (Scott Hope), Jeremy Roberts (Kakistos), Eliza Dushku (Faith), Armin Shimerman (Principal Snyder), John Ennis (Manager)

The arrival of Faith :)
I always enjoyed this episode. Great lines in this one.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2009, 10:39:06 PM »
04. Beauty and the Beasts (1998-10-20)
Writer: Marti Noxon (Writer)
Director: James Whitmore Jr.
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), David Boreanaz (Angel), Seth Green (Oz), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), Fab Filippo (Scott Hope), John Patrick White (Pete), Danielle Weeks (Debbie), Phill Lewis (Mr. Platt), Eliza Dushku (Faith)

An episode I never really cared for. I was never a fan of third season's Angel storyline. Good thing they have spun him off to another series. I think he is more interesting away from Buffy.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2009, 12:03:39 AM »
05. Homecoming (1998-11-03)
Writer: Joss Whedon (Created By), David Greenwalt (Writer)
Director: David Greenwalt
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), David Boreanaz (Angel), Seth Green (Oz), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), K. Todd Freeman (Mr. Trick), Jeremy Ratchford (Lyle Gorch), Fab Filippo (Scott Hope), Ian Abercrombie (Old Man), Harry Groener (Mayor Richard Wilkins), Eliza Dushku (Faith), Danny Strong (Jonathan), Jason Hall (Devon), Jack Plotnick (Deputy Mayor), Billy Maddox (Frawley), Joseph Daube (Hans), Jermyn Daube (Frederick), Lee Everett (Candy Gorch), Tori McPetrie (Michelle), Chad Stahelski (Kulak)

A fun episode. I always liked the idea of the Slayerfest. And a great scene where Cordelia stands up to the vampire.
It also marks the introduction of the mayor, the main villain of the season.
My favorite line: "As Willow goes, so goes my nation" (by Oz)
Another thing: I always thought that Scott was right to dump Buffy. It was obvious it wasn't fun for him to be with her. I would have liked it, if they had explored this relationship longer. I think it would have been refreshing to have Buffy in a good relationship with a normal nice guy for a while, who would have only been slowly sucked into her slayer life.

Rating:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:15:23 AM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:39 PM »
06. Band Candy (1998-11-10)
Writer: Joss Whedon (Created By), Jane Espenson (Writer)
Director: Michael Lange
Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers), Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris), Alyson Hannigan (Willow Rosenberg), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase), David Boreanaz (Angel), Seth Green (Oz), Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), Kristine Sutherland (Joyce Summers), K. Todd Freeman (Mr. Trick), Robin Sachs (Ethan Rayne), Harry Groener (Mayor Richard Wilkins), Armin Shimerman (Principal Snyder), Jason Hall (Devon), Peg Stewart (Ms. Barton)

I always enjoyed this episode. Especially the apperance of Ripper. My favorite scene is, when Ripper is urging Buffy to punch Ethan Rayne.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 11:14:27 PM »
Not fair! reading these I am getting the urge to watch Buffy again!  :P
Pete