Author Topic: DVD Cleaning  (Read 6316 times)

snowcat

Re: DVD Cleaning
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »
Toothpaste, boiling, look back through this thread theres a few ideas.

I tried toothpaste, didn't work sadly, and im far to scared to boil it... haha, ill do something wrong :p I may just have to go get it cleaned!

Critter

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2009, 02:05:10 AM »
I agree I hear of boiling here but I don't think I'd ever be able to do it myself. I'd be too scared something would go wrong.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 02:14:30 AM »
The only time I attempted the boiling is when the disc didn't work anyway... so I figured what is there to lose? It saved 2 or 3 unusable discs... one it couldn't help and I had to replace it.
Pete

Touti

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2009, 02:58:56 AM »
There is not risk in boiling a dvd, at 100 degrees C the water isn't hot enough to melt the plastic.  I've boiled some for over 5 minutes and although it didn't fix them because the scratches were too deep it didn't make them worse.  But I no longer think that this is a solution for scratched discs.  If a dvd doesn't play but has no surface damage it's probably because the plastic is no longer in contact with the metal at some spots and it screws up the optical reader, boiling them probably fixes that by "softening" the plastic just enough for it to expand a bit and take it's place back.

This has worked for me once or twice but I was never able to fix a scratched dvd that way.