Author Topic: DVD Cleaning  (Read 6315 times)

RossRoy

Re: DVD Cleaning
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 05:20:46 AM »
I didn't think to ask this before...with the toothpaste..do you just rub on it on the disc with a cloth?

If I'm not mistaken, you rub it on the disc, preferably with a microfiber cloth, and then clean it off with water and a soft cloth.

Just make sure to use the white pasty toothpaste, not the gel ones, or you'll be rubbing forever! ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 05:43:05 AM »
Ok.  Thanks.  I'll keep that in mind just in case. :)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 05:53:52 AM »
I've a problem with my dvd of Postal and was wondering about the boiling solution. How you do it?

I just realize that written like this the question look stupid :slaphead: So just tell me if this is the correct way :

- place a pan of water on the stove untill the water boils,
- put the dvd in it for X amount of time (how much?),
- let the disc dry by himself.

Is that all?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 05:57:51 AM »
What I did... is once the water comes to a boil I turned off the stove and then put the disc in the water (data side down) and just left it in there for about a minute to 90seconds. Then I used a soft towel to dry.

Note that there has been a couple times this didn't work... but it saved me from replacing 3 or 4 discs since I had heard of it several years back.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 07:08:27 AM »
I've a problem with my dvd of Postal and was wondering about the boiling solution. How you do it?

I just realize that written like this the question look stupid :slaphead: So just tell me if this is the correct way :

- place a pan of water on the stove untill the water boils,
- put the dvd in it for X amount of time (how much?),
- let the disc dry by himself.

Is that all?
If this is the Boll movie then I recommend the garbage disposal :devil:

I tried boiling once and failed, so no serious answer from me, sorry.

Critter

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »
I have something called 'CD/DVD Laser Lens Cleaner' which I just got cheaply one time to see if it works. I haven't tried it on my DVD player yet, only my computer but it's basically a disc you put in and it cleans the player somehow. Its supposed to protect your discs from getting scratched etc. I might chuck it in the blu-ray later on the off chance that it does actually work and help prevent damage.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 02:40:23 PM »
I bought one of those DVD cleaners and found they work nicely. Sometimes when I put a disc in the player can't read it but after using the cleaning disc - no problem. I'm sure its cleaning out pet fur since I have so many animals. I don't know if it helps scratched DVDs though.

Critter

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 03:28:39 PM »
Haha Kathy I can't help but wonder how your pet fur manages to get up into the DVD player. My dogs fur usually ends up all over the floor and on our clothes but not somewhere like that.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 03:32:38 PM »
With 11 cats and 2 dogs no matter how much I brush them or vacuum, fur still gets everywhere!

Critter

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
Wow that is a lot of animals. I know how it can be though, I used to volunteer with this lady who looked after injured wildlife in her home after bushfires. It was insane, only a small house but one room would have like 6 kolas in it and the next a baby kangaroo. Aside from all the wildlife she also had about 5 dogs of her own. Now that was a house with fur everywhere haha. Totally worth it though as I got to hand feed this baby possum which was so cute, amoungst many other creatures  ;D

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »
I'm not sure you can get them for Blu-Rays but I have a device for DVDs that pretty much "sands" the disc surface. It essentially removes a layer of plastic, therefore reducing the scratches (if not too deep). Then you just give it a polish...

Critter

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2009, 09:57:17 AM »
If it removes a layer of plastic does that mean you can't use it many times? I can only imagine removing too many layers wouldnt be great for it.

snowcat

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2009, 10:05:55 AM »
Recently I lent a copy of Superbad to a friend. When it finally came back my DVD player could not read it due to a ring of I have no idea what around the inside of the disc, ive tried cleaning it with water, and window cleaner it wont come off.... any ideas?

Critter

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 10:14:27 AM »
Toothpaste, boiling, look back through this thread theres a few ideas.

Najemikon

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »
If it removes a layer of plastic does that mean you can't use it many times? I can only imagine removing too many layers wouldnt be great for it.

It's very fine, so it could probably stand several goes. But if you scratch 'em that much, I'm calling the dvd police!  :P