Author Topic: Selling most of my collection.  (Read 14027 times)

Touti

Selling most of my collection.
« on: November 10, 2008, 03:42:19 PM »
Yep, I've been thinking about it for some time now and finally made the decision this morning.  I'm selling most of it, I'm only gonna keep a few things that I really want.  I'll make a complete list tonight but in the meantime feel free to look at my online collection to see if there's anything you'd like.

A note about my "Planet of the Apes" ultimate collection.........the box has obviously been opened but I never watched any of them and I kept all the original packaging and the certificate, the only thing missing is the plastic wrap.

Fire at will !

Najemikon

Re: Selling most of my collection.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:14:56 PM »
I've often threatened to do similar, though never quite got there. :-[ But I've always said a collection isn't about quantity, it's quality and rewatch value which is why I do try to keep cycling old ones out. That really goes against the grain of a lot of collectors, but I think it goes too far if you reach the point of having to seal them up and put them in storage, which I've heard of some people doing.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »
I also often thought about selling some of my collection. But two things always kept me from it:

1) There always some reason, why I want to keep some DVDs even if I think I will never watch it again: To make somthing complete, there are some good scenes in it,...

2) The effort of having to ship single items is too much (also setting up eBay profiles should I go that way). More likely I would sell bigger packages to a fair price, but so far nobody seemed to be interested in it, when I offered them.
Also sadly the shipping costs from Germany to other countries is too high to be any interest to most.

Touti

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:37:39 PM »
My hope is that I can sell most of it to individuals who'd buy a few at a time.  When the bulk is gone I can take whatever is left and bring it to a store who buys used DVD (probably for a dollar each :weep:).

I don't think there's gonna be much that I'll want to keep, probably less than 25 titles, mostly movies from Quebec and a few very special ones like "Amadeus - Director's cut".

I'm gonna try to give each dvd I own a possible re-watch score between 1 and 5 and then sell anything with a score below 4.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:49:15 PM »
This kind of thing always happen when I'm short on money (a 150$ bill can do it when you can't find a job after more than a year). But since you don't look in a hurry to sell them (not in a I must sell all in 2 days mode) and you own something that I really want I will wait your not to sell list. Since I'm lucky it will be the only dvd that you will want to keep  :weep:. Will contact you in a couple of weeks to talk about it.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:50:18 PM »
Here in the UK, Blockbuster take DVDs and give paltry amounts for them. But occasionally they sell brand new titles at almost half-price if you trade two other titles which is worth looking out for. Open to abuse when you consider that the Woolworths bargain bin next door has crappy titles for 50p. Not that I would ever think of buying any random two to use in the offer, because that would be wrong...  :devil:

You're really dropping to about 25 though? Bloody hell. That's a cull and a half. :wacko:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:52:53 PM »
The reason why I don't sell a number of my DVDs which I will probably never watch (again) is simply that it's more trouble than its worth.

One or two euros for a DVD and having to create an ebay auction, having to bring it to the post office, having to explain why the shipping costs are as they are... No thanks.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:57:07 PM »
When the bulk is gone I can take whatever is left and bring it to a store who buys used DVD (probably for a dollar each :weep:).
This is something that I can understand. I was obliged to sell my CD collection 5 years ago and selling them at 3$ each (the best price since all my disc were in a perfect condition) was really a heartbreaker. In fact, I've not bought a lot of CD since than (I'm not interested to live that again).

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »
The reason why I don't sell a number of my DVDs which I will probably never watch (again) is simply that it's more trouble than its worth.

One or two euros for a DVD and having to create an ebay auction, having to bring it to the post office, having to explain why the shipping costs are as they are... No thanks.

Interesting! I find it a doddle, but maybe German post-offices aren't as helpful. :laugh: I use a wizard to create the auctions, which can handle loads at a time (I put 12 on last night in about 15 minutes), but when it comes to shipping, I just stick the address on and pass it to the PO who weigh them and charge the total. No questions.

Touti

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:10:58 PM »
This kind of thing always happen when I'm short on money (a 150$ bill can do it when you can't find a job after more than a year). But since you don't look in a hurry to sell them (not in a I must sell all in 2 days mode) and you own something that I really want I will wait your not to sell list. Since I'm lucky it will be the only dvd that you will want to keep  :weep:. Will contact you in a couple of weeks to talk about it.

There won't be much on my "Not to sell" Jimmy, what is it that you "really want" ?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 11:20:44 PM »

Want it for a long time but the price is always high at Amazon.
A great show of my young years that I want to rewatch and see if the alien will always give me nightmare  :whistle:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 06:07:38 AM »
I have the same sentiment as Karsten; especially shipping from Taiwan to elsewhere...

I have stuff that I sort out because of double-dips. It sits in a cabinet and eventually gets given away to people I think will appreciate it; not many of my friends in Taiwan watch DVDs like me though... Then there's a bunch of real awful DVDs I have (either the film's or DVD's quality, mostly even both) which I should just take out and throw away; they were bought cheap in the beginning when I just purchased whatever seemed remotely interesting and was cheap enough not to bother about the price.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »
Interesting! I find it a doddle, but maybe German post-offices aren't as helpful. :laugh:
Never heard of the term service desert germany? ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 09:50:08 AM »
Interesting! I find it a doddle, but maybe German post-offices aren't as helpful. :laugh:

I hadn't, and it took me a while to find an English story, but I have the general idea now! :laugh: I thought we were bad in the UK for that sort of thing, hence...

Little Britain - Carol

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 01:18:03 PM »

I hadn't, and it took me a while to find an English story, but I have the general idea now! :laugh:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,409948,00.html
Karsten