Author Topic: Reverse Alphabet Marathon - Discussion Thread  (Read 26779 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Reverse Alphabet Marathon - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »
Question - does Spiderman 3 count as a number? I thought someone else brought it dealing with sequels but I can't find it.
I would say yes.
As Rich said
whatever suits your marathon

Najemikon

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2007, 10:05:24 PM »
It was me. I haven't put it in my list yet, but I wondered how to handle Hostel: Part II...

richierich

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 02:00:05 AM »
It was me. I haven't put it in my list yet, but I wondered how to handle Hostel: Part II...

Either as an I or a 2 I think Jon  :ok:

richierich

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2007, 02:01:24 AM »
Question - does Spiderman 3 count as a number? I thought someone else brought it dealing with sequels but I can't find it.

Either as an N or a 3 Rick

(but please tidy up your place in the reverse alphabet thread, no tea until it is done  :P  )

richierich

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 02:03:49 AM »
I just subjected myself to LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU

Has anyone else suffered through this? What has happened to Bill Murray???
From great jobs on Stripes and Rushmore, he now peddles crap like this and Broken Flowers and even worse, Lost in Translation.
Well his comedy is lost on me  :stars:

lyonsden5

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2007, 02:06:23 AM »
OK - Three down.

Yesterday was The Princess Bride. A favourite of mine. That movie get's better each time I watch it.  :laugh: Now if only I had a holocaust cloak... :hysterical:

Today I watched 5ive Days to Midnight. A Sci-Fi pictures original mini series starring Timothy Hutton. I've had it for a while but never got around to watching it. It was surprisingly well done with a decent story. A tad predictable, but enjoyable. Widescreen with 5.1 DD helped.

lyonsden5

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 02:09:05 AM »
(but please tidy up your place in the reverse alphabet thread, no tea until it is done  :P  )

Was tidying up as you posted  ;)

May I have my tea now. Don't forget the biscuits  :clap:

lyonsden5

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 02:12:39 AM »
I just subjected myself to LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU

Has anyone else suffered through this? What has happened to Bill Murray???
From great jobs on Stripes and Rushmore, he now peddles crap like this and Broken Flowers and even worse, Lost in Translation.
Well his comedy is lost on me  :stars:

I've sat through Life Aquatic twice now and don't think I laughed either time. After a disappointing first viewing I gave it another chance since some movies are funnier the 2nd time. Not this one. I have to agree with you. FWIW - I couldn't even make it through Lost in Translation.

RossRoy

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2007, 02:29:40 AM »
Well, another proof that I have weird movie tastes I guess. I loved both Lost in Translation and Life Aquatic. :bag:

Can't explain it (and anyway, it's been a while), but I really enjoyed both.

lyonsden5

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2007, 03:07:00 AM »
Well, another proof that I have weird movie tastes I guess.[...]

Nah. Just goes to show how we all think different things are good. If we all liked the same type of movies it would be pretty boring. 

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2007, 03:27:13 AM »
Lost In Translation. Sublime. Broken Flowers. Marvellous. Life Aquatic... s'ok.  :tease:

Thing is, all these are Marmite films. You really do love them or hate them. I need to see Life Aquatic again, but I was a little disappointed because it pales in comparison to The Royal Tenenbaums. I love that film!

I went with two friends to see it when it ran at the cinema. It was packed, but I swear myself and some other guy on the far end were the only ones laughing. My two mates just looked dumbstruck! Only Gene Hackman's line about being carried out of the jungle after being stabbed got any sort of decent response.

Lost In Translation and Broken Flowers are at least independent and arty, but somehow Wes Anderson gets away with being almost mainstream and I can't think of any other popular director who really does split audiences so decisively.

But hang on, Richie. You mentioned Rushmore? You liked Rushmore, but not Life Aquatic? Being Wes Anderson films I consider them cut from the same cloth.

lyonsden5

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2007, 03:07:49 AM »
How's everyone doin? Not much discussion in the discussion thread.  :laugh:

Yesterday I watched Mr. Brooks. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780571/ I really wasn't expecting much, but the trailer looked pretty good and my wife wanted to watch it so we bought it and watched it. I was pleasantly surprised... and didn't even fall asleep!  :yu:

RossRoy

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2007, 04:14:14 AM »
I'm doing much better than I thought I would!

Watched 4 movies in a row yesterday, Déjà Vu and The Illusionist were really good. I'm still undecided whether I prefer Flight 93 or United 93, and Johnny English is always good!  ;D

Right now I'm watching Eragon, which will be my 9th movie since November started. Which is a really good pace for me! I even had time to watch the hockey game!

RossRoy

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2007, 06:12:11 AM »
Finished Eragon. Loved it!

Ok, I must admit, right off the bat, I have a very big soft spot for dragons, so almost any movie with dragons in it, I will like. I even like Dungeons & Dragons! ;)

That being said, I really liked Eragon. How they develop the story, the relationship between Eragon and Saphira (with a really lovely voice: Rachel Weisz's). But there is one thing I hate, and it's the ending. I won't say more, not to spoil it, but I hate when they do that kind of thing.

But overall, I think it's a very worthy fantasy movie.

richierich

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2007, 01:36:59 PM »
I'm still undecided whether I prefer Flight 93 or United 93,

Flight 93 had an impact on me, must admit to shedding a few tears when they were phoning their families from the plane saying goodbye  :'(

United 93 I saw afterwards, and just didn't touch me in the same way