Author Topic: Touti's Horror/Thriller Movie Marathon  (Read 22317 times)

Touti

Re: Touti's Horror/Thriller Movie Marathon
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 11:23:21 PM »
Haven't watch it yet.  When I put it in I remembered that it's a long movie it's in my own language so it became worthy of an evening watch and I saved it for tonight  ;D

SailorRipley

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 05:27:36 PM »
I loved Pacte des Loups! Looking forward to read your comments on it, Erici. Maybe that one could be a cool addition to the Movie Analysis thread, since it is unique in several ways.

Touti

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 06:45:17 PM »
I loved Pacte des Loups! Looking forward to read your comments on it, Erici. Maybe that one could be a cool addition to the Movie Analysis thread, since it is unique in several ways.

It's a very good movie, it's the 2nd time I see it and I don't regret buying it but a few things really annoyed me, enough to reduce my pleasure.  There's two types of thrillers IMO, psychologial thrillers and action thrillers. There really is nothing to understand in an actin thriller (which this movie is), it's meant to be watched and enjoyed with any deep psychologial analysis.  So unlike other movies I talked about, I will write on this one about the script and direction instead of the story.

As I said, a few things annoyed me a lot, mostly the anachronism which, after listening to the interviews with the director, I understand to be typical of the "genre" (he kept talking about "the genre" but never mentioned what genre it was ;))

One of them is the use of Martial Arts. If they had been used by only one or two characters it wouldn't be much an issue but everybody knew martial arts in every fight.  In 18th century France, martial arts weren't know by every one.  What made it even more annoying to me is the Indian who is depicted as a Martial Arts Master.  Since the french were the first to set foot here and to make contact with our indians, I doubt any of them would have learned Martial Arts, that really bugged me throughout the movie because I can't believe in the chracter.

A few others caught my attention and pulled me out of the story.  At a point in the movie, GrĂ©goire de Fronsac explains that his indian french comes from a tribe called "Mohawks" that no longer exists and that he was the only one to survive.  That would catch the attention to anyone living in Quebec because the Mohawks still exists today.

Now de Fronsac also says that Mani is the only survivor ofhis tribe after the french attacked it but as I recall, Mohawks were on the french side but I'll hav to check on this.  The funeral of Mani also bothered me a little, de Fronsac picking up ashes was ridiculous, indians didn't do that and a french would not have if he knew enough about indian funerals to perform it up to that point.  I know I'm picky but those are details that make it unrealistic to me because they're things about my country and I know it's not true.

But, all anachorisms put aside, it is a beautiful movie.  The special effects people did an admirable job with the woods and the caves.  The director also had some very nice ideas for certain shots that really caught my attention but in a good way this time.  One in particular that I found ingenious is when you see Monica Belucci naked on a bed, the camera goes along her body and as the movement continues it changes to snowy mountains.  That was brilliant and extremely well done.

Touti

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 10:12:53 PM »
:training:  :heat:

Getting ready for the big night. 

:tv:

This evening I'm gonna watch "Disturbia" and "Fracture" back to back, 3.5 hours of suspense. :fingerchew:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 10:23:30 PM »
I hope you enjoy Disturbia as much as I did!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 12:07:19 AM »
Get the popcorn ready!

Touti

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 12:49:54 AM »
Get the popcorn ready!

Yep, a huge batch of spicy one.

Horror, Thriller, Suspense = Spicy Pop Corn
Love, Romance, Drama = Cheesy Pop Corn

Touti

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 02:53:58 AM »

Just finished watching Disturbia.

Very good movie.  I was hook within the first few minutes
(click to show/hide)

Although it's a bit of a teen movie, it's still very well thought and well done, not like your typical teen stuff where you can see things coming 5 minutes in advance and watch them happen with no surprise.

Overall a very good movie, I don't regret breaking my 10$ rules on this one.

Gonna make pop-corn and watch Fracture now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:42:54 PM by Eric »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 03:15:28 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it! :)
Pete

Touti

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 05:15:31 AM »

Just finished "Fracture", wonderful, absolutely wonderul.  I was totally hooked from beginning to end. Hopkins brilliantly treats you with with a performance as good as Hannibal Lecter while avoiding the trap of giving you Lecter again.

A definite "Must have" in your collection.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:46:29 PM by Eric »