Author Topic: Point Pleasant: The Complete Series  (Read 3438 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Point Pleasant: The Complete Series
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:48:30 PM »

Point Pleasant: The Complete Series
When a violent summer storm slams into the beach town of Point Pleasant, it brings with it the unconscious body of Christina Nickson. Rescued from the surf and taken to the home of a nearby doctor, the teenager is strangely reluctant to have anyone contact her family. For all her life, Christina has felt surrounded by a sense of wrongness, and now she’s determined to figure out why. Yet the longer Christina stays in Point Pleasant, the greater the supernatural and deadly impact she has on the people around her--an impact that is destined to lead to the ultimate confrontation between good and evil.

Does anyone else here own or seen this show? This is the series that knocked Tru Calling off the Fox line-up. And then only lasted 13 Episodes. What Fox was thinking... I have no idea. Just for the fact that this show did knock Tru Calling off the line-up made me not want to watch it when it aired. once it got canceled... and shortly after when the series was released on DVD I finally bit the bullet and bought the set... just for my pure love of the horror genre... still angry that it knocked off Tru Calling.

That was quite a while ago... and I just now finally got the urge to check it out. So far I only watched 2 episodes but my first impression was... with the pilot episode I was less then satisfied... but interested. It has a decent premise... but it plays more like a teen age soap opera then the horror series I was expecting. But as I said... it did peak my interest. So I went on to episode 2. It still plays like a teen age soap opera... but I am getting even more into the storyline. It seems like the horror aspect of the series is a bit subdued in the first probably handful of episodes... but is emerging a little at a time as the character Christina is coming more and more into her powers. which makes sense and could be a good thing.

Over all so far I would have to say that I am less then impressed with the series.. but I do see the potential that the series has. Which makes me wonder... that if FOX would have put this series on behind Tru Calling... and made it a theme night... whether or not both series would have grew into much stronger shows and could have been one of FOX's more popular nights on TV. But of course for that to happen... this show would have definitely needed to improve from this point... but it does seem to be going that way.

Any thoughts?
Pete

lyonsden5

Re: Point Pleasant: The Complete Series
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 03:41:34 PM »
Never saw it (or even heard of it  :P )

Being on Fox and coming across like a teen age soap opera doesn't surprise me though.

Touti

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 03:45:05 PM »
I heard of it but never seen any episodes.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »
Well it is definitely not one I would recommend at this point. I haven't watched the 3rd episode yet... but I am hoping to finish disc 1 (Eps. 1-5) before the day is over.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 10:59:39 PM »
Well... I just finished the first disc. (Eps. 1-5 of 13) and my opinion is still pretty much the same. Though I can admit the storyline is drawing me in... I do want to see what happens next.. but over all I am just not too impressed with this series yet... so couldn't recommend this one to anyone at this point.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 11:42:50 PM »
Well... I just finished the first disc. (Eps. 1-5 of 13) and my opinion is still pretty much the same. Though I can admit the storyline is drawing me in... I do want to see what happens next.. but over all I am just not too impressed with this series yet... so couldn't recommend this one to anyone at this point.

But the question is, is that a completely neutral review, or is it a little biased because it is the show that knocked Try Calling off the air? We all know your history with Tru Calling  ;) ;D

Touti

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 12:19:37 AM »
But the question is, is that a completely neutral review, or is it a little biased because it is the show that knocked Try Calling off the air? We all know your history with Tru Calling  ;) ;D

Mean mean mean mean mean............I love this, feels just like DVDP forums  ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 12:54:46 AM »

LOL... I am comfortable in saying this is a completely neutral review... after all... I own all the Tru Calling episodes (Including the unaired pilot on VCD)  ;) and enough time went by that I am over it... really... I am... honest!... ok.... 95% neutral... but no lower!  ;D
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 10:28:24 PM »
I am now on the 3rd (final) Disc... and this show is really starting to grow on me. It still plays out like a teen soap opera... and still not as horror centric as I would like it to be... but the storyline is really drawing me in.

Since this only lasted 13 episodes... I am really hoping there is at least SOME closure to the series!
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:34:41 PM »
I am now on the 3rd (final) Disc... and this show is really starting to grow on me. It still plays out like a teen soap opera... and still not as horror centric as I would like it to be... but the storyline is really drawing me in.

Since this only lasted 13 episodes... I am really hoping there is at least SOME closure to the series!

Just as you get completely sucked in to the characters and the story.... it's gonna end with a cliffhanger  :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 10:39:23 PM »
Gee... Thanks Rick! I Appreciate that!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 11:59:50 AM »
Well... I finally finished this series last night.

The storyline in it is great. I think if you can get past the teen soap opera feel to it you may enjoy it! But I would say if you are able... to just rent the first disc before you buy it... and see if you can get into it or not.

And Rick...
The ending wasn't too bad! no it didn't have complete closure (no where near!) but what it did do is gave all the main story lines a decent ending. Felt like a season finale instead of a series finale.... leaving it wide open... setting up the second season that never came.

Over all... by the end of the series I was not completely thrilled with the feel of the show... but not disappointed in it. They did a decent job... and the show had plenty of potential!
Pete