Author Topic: Need another recommendation  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Need another recommendation
« on: June 29, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »
Finally, the Death Note spin-off L: Change the World is available with English subtitles. But now I am in need of another good movie, which I can order from YesAsia, to get the free shipping which I get with an order value of $25.
The last time, Battle Royale was recommended to me, which was a good choice. Let's see, what you have in mind this time  :)

Najemikon

Re: Need another recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:18:40 AM »
I suppose from past choices you enjoy high-concept stories? Both the ones you mention are graphic novel adaptations. Probably going over old ground, but have you seen OldBoy? That's always one of my main recommendations.

Then Cloverfield has awakened interest in the monster movie, so I have to mention The Host.

How about Some? A Korean detective story with a twist in a girl who can predict the future and tells the detective he will die in 24 hours.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:50:32 AM »
have you seen OldBoy? That's always one of my main recommendations.
If you don't actually own it, I join my voice to Jon one to recommand it too. I've the metal case full of extra (even a manga book), but you can buy it on a normal release. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:40:11 AM »
Finally, the Death Note spin-off L: Change the World is available with English subtitles.
I been waiting for this too! Hopefully the Taiwan version is just the same as the HK one (often they just slap a slip cover/case around the HK disc...). Will have to go shopping for it tomorrow...

lovemunkey187

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 12:31:14 PM »
Hong Kong
Kung Fu Hustle - I've not watched my R3 copy yet, but the R2UK version has got the crispest image I've seen on any DVD. period
Shaolin Soccer

Japan
Blister - a film that every collector, of anything, should see.

Korea
OldBoy
Taegukgi (Brotherhood)
The Host
Attack The Gas Station
Into The Mirror -possibly my favouritist Korean film.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:23:24 PM »
Thank you all for the recommendations!

I decided to go for something light - Shaolin Soccer. It sounds like a fun movie. Using martial arts to play better soccer :laugh:
And it was cheap enough to valid a blind buy.

As for the other recommendations:
I did consider "Blister", but I encountered some bad reviews. If it would have been cheaper, I would have probably bought it nonetheless. Especially after having seen the great anime "Genshiken" a short while ago. That one is also about otakus.

"OldBoy": Never seen it, but I have heard of it. I have seen "Lady Vengeance" at the cinema though. I liked that one, but it was not something I felt the urge to add it to my collection.

"Attack The Gas Station": I have added it to my Wishlist at DVD Pacific. The R1 release is cheaper. Maybe I will come around to buying it there.

"Kung Fu Hustle": Just noticed, that I forgot to check that one out. I will consider it the next time, when I order something from YesAsia (I already placed my order)

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:36:53 PM »
I can only repeat my support for OldBoy especially after you said that, because I felt the same way. I've owned both the other parts and kept neither. Really liked the first, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, but it was very bleak. On the other hand, I found the final part to be style over content. It looked great, but in the end, Lady Vengeance annoyed me! Whereas both of these are just good, OldBoy was incredible. Keep it on your wishlist, you won't regret it!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »
Keep it on your wishlist, you won't regret it!
OK, I will :)
Thanks!

lovemunkey187

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 11:45:42 AM »
OldBoy for me, is the best out of "The Vengeance Trilogy"