Author Topic: The News Readers Group  (Read 8816 times)

Touti

The News Readers Group
« on: June 29, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »
Members of The "News Readers" group have access to the forums in the "News Feed" category which is otherwise hidden.

You can "subscribe" to this simply by replying in this thread to let me know that you would like to join the group.

Forums
The category is divided into 8 forums which are General News, DVD News, DVD Reviews, Movie News, Movie Reviews and Tech News, Trailers and Hi-Def.

Each forum contains (will contain) feeds from different related news sites such as Comingsoon.net, DVD Talk, etc.  These feeds are shown as topics which means we can reply and discuss them.  The forums are set to "Reply Only" mode so new threads can't be started.

The number of new news from each site will generally be set to 10 although it could be more if a site has lots of news every day.

The tech stuff

New posts will not show in the "Recent Posts" block on the left of the home page, they will also not show in the "Unread Posts Since Last Visit" page if it was accessed from the link at the top of the page.

If you;
a) Are a member of the "News Reader" group and
b) are accessing the "Unread posts Since Last Visit" from an outside link or directly from you own bookmark and
c) you don't want the News Feeds to show in the "Unread Posts Since Last Visit" page then

Please update your link/bookmark, you can take the new url from the link at the top of the page.

Nota
Yes, I could have set the new topics in the News Feed category to be marked as read automatically but I didn't because..........it's not the way I want it   :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:45:45 PM by Eric »

lyonsden5

Re: The News Readers Group
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 05:13:31 PM »
count me in

and have one on me :beer:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 05:21:06 PM »
Me too... want to check it out! :)
Pete

Halo2

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »
Yes from me too.

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »
I want in!

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:32:58 PM »
Well I certainly don't want to be left behind. ;D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »
For now, I don't want in, as I do not want to have countless new single post threads cluttering up the forum for me.

But should it turn out, that a lot of interesting discussions result based on those newsfeeds, please let me know and I will join you :)

Touti

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
For now, I don't want in, as I do not want to have countless new single post threads cluttering up the forum for me.

It's the 2nd time you write this Tom and it's the second time I don't understand why.  You only see those posts if you go check those forums yourself, they don't show up in any of the "Recent Posts" lists.  Or at least they're not supposed to, if they do it's because I left something that I didn't want to.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »
Looking good, Eric. :thumbup:

m.cellophane

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 06:58:01 PM »
Sounds cool. I want in.  :D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 07:00:25 PM »
It's just the way I feel. Either it is a forum post, posted by a forum member because he/she feels it is something interesting. Or it should appear somewhere else. Like a newsfeed on the main page, where, when one chooses can open up a discussion thread (maybe via a link in those feeds).
I like the way http://wcnews.com/ does it. They have the news on the main page. If one feels, this needs discussing, then there is a link "Discuss" in the bottom of the news item and it will open up a thread in the forum or continues the existing discussion thread if someone else already opened up one.

Like it is now, I would have to check each day all the new forums, if there is a newsfeed thread, where someone started a discussion (i.e. if a reply has been made to a newsfeed). Or could you implement it that way, that when a reply has been made, it does show up in the recent posts list? This way, someone can browse the newsfeed if they feel like it, but you won't miss out a nice discussion without having to search for them each day.

By the way: Soon we will have a new top poster: Our new admin "Newsfeed"  :tease: :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »
By the way, is this in-line "modify" button new? I just noticed it and I like it :)

Touti

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 07:24:01 PM »
By the way, is this in-line "modify" button new? I just noticed it and I like it :)

What button are you referring to ?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 07:31:25 PM »

What button are you referring to ?
In your own posts, the is not only in the title bar of your post between Quote and Remove, but also in the right lower corner of your post. If you use that one, you can edit your post directly without having it to load the "post compose" page. Probably it has always been there but I just noticed it  :bag:

Touti

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 07:33:40 PM »
Oh that one.

I don't know if it's always been there, could have been activated by me at some point, but it's been there for quite a while, I use it a lot because I do have to tendancy to re-read myself after posting instead of before.