Author Topic: The Discussions Thread  (Read 169388 times)

RossRoy

Re: The Discussions Thread
« Reply #645 on: May 28, 2012, 11:34:05 PM »
Added for the next update.

Quick note about said update: If things go as planned (and they rarely) - I should get my computer back sometime next week, and be able to start working on it at that time.

I just hope I haven't missed too many ..  :(

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 29, 2012, 02:04:20 AM »
This will surely be a big one :training:

We sure don't see you too much those days. Too much works, in love or you manifest every night in the streets of Montreal :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #647 on: May 29, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »
We sure don't see you too much those days. Too much works, in love or you manifest every night in the streets of Montreal :laugh:

Combination of many things - just moved in with my SO and am without my computer since January, swamped at work, some health issues (not mine, but have to take care of).

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #648 on: December 10, 2012, 12:39:57 AM »
As Sébastien didn't have time to continue maintaining the review list, I was thinking that maybe we need a system where the list is maintained by our combined efforts.
Karsten, would it be possible to implement something, where everyone submits their own review links? And then either be automatically listed, or to be save, have the submissions reviewed first. I would even be willing to help with the ongoing submission reviews. Or give support in any other way.
Also it would be no problem for me to provide the links of all my own reviews in any form needed to maybe make a batch import.

I always like to look up past reviews written by other members after I have watched a movie or when deciding to buy a movie, so it would be nice if we can find a way to revive the updates.

If anything else fails, I would volunteer on a trial basis to continue updating the lists.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 10, 2012, 12:45:21 AM »
I would like to see the list updated again as well. If possible an automatic thing would be great!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 10, 2012, 01:11:46 AM »
If anything else fails, I would volunteer on a trial basis to continue updating the lists.
I can tell you by experience that it's an huge job to do... if Sebastien had a file listing all the review since his last update that won't be too hard as you will have the info, but if not that will be a long job to search the links for all the review since last january.

Good luck as it's the biggest job that someone can do on our forum... Doing it between april 2008 and july 2010 was more than enough for me (the creation from scratch was sure more works than I tought it would be).

RossRoy

« Reply #651 on: December 10, 2012, 04:02:44 AM »
I'm terribly sorry for my lack of time, but they way the system is right now, makes the update take a long time, and since I am lacking said time, well you know the current situation, review wise.

The good news? I have most, if not all, new reviews bookmarked since the last update, and I am, slowly but surely, working on it. I will catch up, if only because of pride. ;)

But yeah, something a little more automated would be rad! Basically, if something could be done, where it takes away the step of me having to manually copy/paste every review link in the Excel file, then updating would be a breeze. If something could be made where you'd all input the review link, name of movie and your username and output a CSV/XLS file of that, then updating the lists themselves would take mere minutes.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 10, 2012, 04:08:16 AM »
You have no reason to feel sorry Sébastien, it's an huge task and when we wait too much it's frightening...

Even if we have all the review link in a file, the cut and paste part can be a long affair... without mentionning a boring repetitive one.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 10, 2012, 09:05:32 AM »
I can tell you by experience that it's an huge job to do... if Sebastien had a file listing all the review since his last update that won't be too hard as you will have the info, but if not that will be a long job to search the links for all the review since last january.

Good luck as it's the biggest job that someone can do on our forum... Doing it between april 2008 and july 2010 was more than enough for me (the creation from scratch was sure more works than I tought it would be).

Yes, this is why I said on a trial basis. I want to have the option to opt out  :laugh:

Sébastien, don't blame yourself. I am aware that this is a huge task with the current system which needs a lot of time.
If you need help catching up, I am willing to help. Maybe send me a bunch of the bookmarks and I will help typing them into a list.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #654 on: December 10, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »
If help is needed, let me know how I can be of assistance.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #655 on: December 10, 2012, 12:37:11 PM »
I have a tool at home, that at least semi-automatically creates the link to be inserted into the list.

I'll look into it.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 10, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
Here's another small idea that I think would ease the amount of work being done by one person. If you do another review for a film that you have already written a review for previously, just edit your original review by adding the new review to it. You don't have to delete your original review, just add to it at the bottom of the original. Now just bump the original thread and everyone will see the new review and that's one less link that has to be found by Sebastien. It would also add some perspective as to how a person's point of view changes with subsequent viewings, as now, you can also read previous reviews of the film by that person, in just one post.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #657 on: December 11, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
I have an idea:

I create a small website where everyone can add his own reviews.

The site would have only a few datafields.

The link to the review, e.g. here's the one Antares' posting above mine: http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,931.msg160407.html#msg160407

I would check the syntax of the URL, so you don't accidentally add the URL of the thread:
http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,931.645.html

The title of the film, e.g. Terminator: Rise of the Machines

The sort title of the film, e.g. Terminator 3

These data would be entered into a database, out of which I could generate the review list and the random review.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 11, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
Essentially it is a good idea and would be a great help.
Though I think we need some clarifications:
- Does everyone enter their own links? How can it be made certain that the reviewer doesn't forget. How do new reviewers learn about it? Or what if a reviewer doesn't want to be bothered with this? (Option 1)
- Or do we have some volunteers who do the entering. Then the question is, how we divide the work? (Option 2)
- should there be check if a link has already been entered? In my opinion yes, especially if we go with option 2

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #659 on: December 11, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
If we have new reviewers we can point them to this feature.

If a reviewer doesn't want to do it him/herself, why should anyone else bother?
Karsten