Author Topic: Masters of Horror Marathon  (Read 24203 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Masters of Horror Marathon
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:09:34 PM »
Masters of Horror Marathon
Now that I have the complete series on DVD I thought it was about time to have a marathon of all the episodes. As most probably already know Masters of Horror is a TV Series that aired on Showtime for 2 seasons. It was recently canceled so there will be no third season. I never got to watch these on Showtime as they aired... only watching them as I bought the DVDs. So I thought it would be fun to watch these in the order they aired on TV.  There was one episode that got banned from Showtime and never aired. That episode (Imprint) will be watched where it would have aired. This is only the second time I have watched any of these episodes. So... I watched....

Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
"You've always got to expect the unexpected...and do the unexpected." It's the chilling advice a young woman ('Bree Turner') thinks about late one night on a lonely stretch of mountain road.The warning, from her survivalist ex-husband, becomes all too real when a car accident leaves her alone, hurt and hunted by a backwoods maniac called "Moonface" ('John De Santis'). She's learned how to live. She's been trained how to kill. But when trapped in a monster's killing ground, will she know how to survive the most horrific confrontation of them all?

'Ethan Embry' and 'Angus "The Tall Man" Scrimm' co-star in this grisly shocker directed by 'Dan Coscarelli' and adapted from the short story by 'Joe R. Lansdale' (BUBBA HO-TEP) that 'The New York Daily News' hails as "tantalizingly creepy and scary good!"

My Thoughts:
This was a very strong start to the series. A very good story similar to ones like Texas Chainsaw Massacre.... what with the backwoods maniac.  I really liked the twist ending to this episode. DVD quality is great... and is completely loaded with extras. Masters of Horror is well known for all the gore that is in some of the episodes... and even though there is some decent gore... it really was pretty light for this first episode.

For those interested Here is the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRDygPvQHhI
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Horror Marathon
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:10:22 PM »

Dreams in the Witch House
When stressed-out student Walter Gilman ('Ezra Godden' of DAGON) rents a room in a decrepit old house, his graduate thesis studies begin to take some very strange twists: He suffers nightmares about a voracious rat with a human face. He suspects that a gateway to another dimension may exist behind his wall. And he is seemingly seduced by a luscious she-demon who thirsts for souls of the innocent via a covenant that screams for blood. But when Walter must face the most depraved urge of all, will the line between madness, murder and unholy mayhem be crossed forever?

'Chelah Horsdal' (HOLLOW MAN 2) and 'Jay Brazeau' (INSOMNIA,THEY) co-star in this disturbing shocker directed by 'Stuart Gordon', co-written by 'Gordon' & 'Dennis Paoli' (THE DENTIST, CASTLE FREAK) and based on the infamous short story by horror master 'H.P. Lovecraft'.

My Thoughts:
This is another episode that I enjoyed quite a bit. The gore is upped a notch from the first episode. Watching this episode for the second time now... one thing I noticed is that this is the first of 2 episodes that takes place in a boarding house. I would be amiss if I didn't mention the rat in this episode... a rat with a human face... kinda a pet of the witch. Definitely a creepy idea... and the effects was done nicely. I actually got a kick out of him. The DVD quality is right up there with the first one. And like all the first season releases... this DVD is loaded with extras.

For those interested... here is the Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1NIpXjuIPM
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 09:14:37 PM »

Dance of the Dead
In the near future when nuclear war has turned much of our world into wasteland, the youth of America have become drug-crazed sociopaths who lawlessly prowl what's left. But for pretty teenage Peggy ('Jessica Lowndes'), her sheltered life is far removed from underground club The Doom Room where a depraved MC ('Robert Englund', Freddy Krueger from NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET fame) provides immoral entertainment for the murderous masses. Tonight, the most horrific stage show of all is about to begin...and Peggy's young innocence will come to a brutal end forever.

'Jonathan Tucker' (of HOSTAGE and the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE remake) co-stars in this extreme shocker adapated by 'Richard Christian Matheson' from the celebrated short story by his father 'Richard Matheson' (writer of I AM LEGEND, DUEL and STIR OF ECHOES) and featuring music by 'Billy Corgan' of 'The Smashing Pumpkins'.

My Thoughts:
The first time I watched this one I considered it my all-time least favorite... I just did not like this episode. On second viewing I changed my thoughts on this a bit. It is better then I remember it being. I still wouldn't call it a favorite. One thing I really liked about this episode is the fact that Robert Englund (Freddy Krueger) is in it. I have been a fan of his since the very first Nightmare on Elm Street.  It is still a very weird episode. But it has grown on me some... that much is for sure. At this point I would say this is a mediocre episode. As with the previous releases... the quality is good... and it is definitely loaded with extras.

For those interested... here is the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoQvMRfPYh4
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:06:49 AM »

Jenifer
'Steven Weber' of THE SHINING, THE STAND and DESPERATION stars as Frank Spivey, a detective who rescues a strange young girl ('Carrie Anne Fleming') with a horribly disfigured face and lusciously ripe body from a deranged killer. But when Spivey takes responsibility for the mentally challenged orphan, she reveals herself to be a creature of untold carnal pleasures and unspeakable violent depravities that may lead him straight to hell. She is seductress, psychopath and succubus all in one...and her name is JENIFER.

The legendary 'Dario Argento' directs this jaw-dropper that features a haunting score by 'Claudio Simonetti' of 'Goblin' (DAWN OF THE DEAD, TENEBRE).

My Thoughts:
Ahhhh, Jenifer, What a cute girl... from the neck down! This is another episode that I really liked a lot. One thing I like is that it has Steven Weber in it... I have liked him in horror ever since I first saw him in the miniseries version of The Shining. This episode definitely has it's share of gore.... but more-so it has more then it's share of sex/nudity. OK guys... could you imagine having sex with Jenifer!?! Not that I mind the sex or nudity of course... just a notation for those that it might bother. Just like all the other season 1 episodes... this one is loaded with extras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2mOH2Y9OjU
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:38:26 PM »

Chocolate
Jamie ('Henry Thomas' of GANGS OF NEW YORK) is a depressed young divorced man who creates artificial flavorings until the day his life is hijacked by a series of random sensory flashes. Psychically linked to an unknown beautiful woman ('Lucie Laurier'), Jamie suddenly begins to experience all the pain, passion and forbidden pleasures of her existence. But when a murderous vision rips his obsession wide open, Jamie is driven to track down and confess his love to this mystery mate. Will psychosexual hunger lead to the girl of his dreams or does the ultimate horror await the lonely man who tastes someone else's chocolate?

'Matt Frewer' (DAWN OF THE DEAD) co-stars in this sexy and twisted shocker written and directed by MASTERS OF HORROR creator 'Mick Garris', the director of THE STAND, RIDING THE BULLET and THE SHINING.

My Thoughts:
This episode... although pretty good... is not one I would call a favorite. The idea of experiencing someone else's sense is a bit on the weird side to me personally. The horror in this one is kept low-key. Though there is some blood to it... there is not all that much when it comes to gore. It definitely does have it's share of nudity/sex in it. Which really is also commonplace in this series. Just like all the previous episodes... this one has good quality and is loaded with extras.

[googlevid=425,350]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5072290180591329844[/googlevid]
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »

Homecoming
It's a few weeks before the Presidential election and an unpopular war still rages overseas. But when the Republican administration wishes that our dead troops could return to tell America how proud they were to serve their country, veterans begin to rise from their flag-draped coffins for the most horrific reason of all: to vote. Are they gloriously resurrected heroes or brain-dead zombie dissidents? And even if the administration can devise the proper spin in time to steal their re-election, will an army of men and women killed for a lie finally show our nation the true face of hell?

'Jon Tenney' (THE CLOSER), 'Thea Gill (QUEER AS FOLK) and 'Robert Picardo' (STAR TREK: VOYAGER) star in this provocative stunner from director 'Joe Dante' (GREMLINS, THE HOWLING, PIRANHA) that 'The Village Voice' calls "jaw-dropping...easily one of the most important political films of the era!"

My Thoughts:
This episode has a touch of comedy... as well as a strong mixture of politics. I liked this episode a lot. It is fun to watch and thought provoking at the same time. A really strong episode well worth the hour you put into it. The effects on this episode was done well... without being overly gory. Just like the episodes before it... the quality is good and the DVD is loaded with extras.

[googlevid=425,350]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2767568699780046690&q[/googlevid]
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 05:58:04 PM »

Deer Woman
Detective Dwight Faraday ('Brian Benben') is a burnt-out cop demoted to the 'weird calls' desk until a series of bizarre murders suddenly grabs his attention: Several men killed by massive blunt force trauma while in a state of sexual arousal, all last seen in the company of a sexy Native American woman ('Cinthia Moura'). But when it's discovered that these corpses were trampled into hamburger by what appear to be hooves, Faraday must hunt a killer who may not be totally human. Will one cynical cop be caught like a deer in the headlights or has a terrifying seductress risen from legend to slaughter the horny?

'Anthony Griffith' co-stars in this erotic horror comedy co-written and directed by 'John Landis' (ANIMAL HOUSE,THE BLUES BROTHERS) and featuring grisly gore effects by 'Gregory Nicotero' & 'Howard Berger' (KILL BILL, CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, LAND OF THE DEAD).

My Thoughts:
Another episode that I consider just average. Nothing really bad about it... but nothing really special either. To be honest... on this second viewing I felt my attention drifting from the show while watching. Just didn't seem to keep my attention as much as the first time I watched it. Other then that... the dvd release is about par with the episodes before it.

for those interested... here is the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhcgWFOktcI
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »
I loved Deer Woman! Obviously (for those who've seen it) not for the horror, but actually for the hilarious comedy it is. It's from John Landis and in very much the same line as An American Werewolf in London (a favorite of mine).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »
see... that is what I was thinking when I went in to it... but I personally just didn't feel the comedy in it. It felt like it wanted to be there... and it tried to be there. But in my opinion at least... it just didn't quite make it.

But obviously it worked for you... so that is cool!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 07:55:13 PM »

Cigarette Burns
Film is magic. And in the right hands, it can be a weapon. For on-the-ropes movie programmer Kirby Sweetman ('Norman Reedus' of THE BOONDOCK SAINTS and BLADE II), the holy grail of cinema is LE FIN ABSOLUE DU MONDE, a legendary lost movie whose sole showing was rumored to have driven its audience to a homicidal frenzy. But as Kirby gets closer to the truth about the film, he's sucked into a private hell of grisly hallucinations and brutal acts of violence. Now the only surviving print of the film is within his grasp... and the most horrific screening of all is about to begin.

'Udo Kier' (SUSPIRIA,THE KINGDOM) co-stars in this gore-drenched mind-blower written by 'Drew McWeeny' & 'Scott Swan', and directed by horror legend 'John Carpenter', the creator of THE THING, THE FOG, ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, THEY LIVE and HALLOWEEN.

My Thoughts:
This one happens to be the very first episode I ever seen. It is the episode that got me hooked on the series. And is one that I consider one of the better episodes. It is a very strong and interesting film. But at the same time it is definitely a bit on the weird side. That... of course... is not a bad thing. This episode is also pretty heavy on the gore. More so the second half of the episode... but it is definitely there. Of course the quality and the extras are right up there with the previous episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S18e0dS1y8Q
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 01:17:42 AM »

The Fair Haired Child
Deep within the desperate hearts of the bereaved, there is a pact with the forces of darkness that demands new blood to resurrect the souls of the dead. Lori Petty (A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN and TANK GIRL) stars as a grieving mother with a remote estate, a ghastly secret, and a locked basement where abducted teen outcasts await an evil that feasts upon their virgin flesh. But to satisfy a parent's depraved bargain, the beast must feed one final time. And tonight, the ultimate horror will begin for those who do not heed the hunger of THE FAIR HAIRED CHILD.

Lindsay Pulsipher and William Samples co-star in this relentlessly creepy saga scripted by Matt Greenberg (HALLOWEEN H2O, REIGN OF FIRE) and directed by William Malone that 'The Horror Channel' calls "a perfect dark fairy tale...one of the most solid and impressive episodes to date!"

My Thoughts:
This is another really good episode that I enjoyed a lot. Interesting story... good special effects... a nice amount of gore. Pretty much everything you can ask for in an episode. I also enjoyed the resolution at the end of this one. Even if it was somewhat predictable. Definitely worth the hour of your time that you need to put into it. Just like the several before it... this DVD has good quality and lots of extras to keep you busy.

For those of you that are interested... here is the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLS1bcNSr8s
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 07:22:04 AM »
I will give my :thumbup: to The Fair-Headed Child as well. It is definititely among my favorite episodes, as is Cigarette Burns.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 05:20:14 PM »
Thanks to a friend letting me know what day it is today... I am going to put this marathon on hold  so I can have a single day Mini-Marathon to celebrate Vincent Price's birthday. He was born May 27, 1911... which means he would have been 97 today.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:27:57 PM »
Wow, that's a coincidence! I was wandering aimlessly around Morrison's today and picked up a three movie boxset because it had Fall of the House of Usher in it. Happy Birthday, Vincent, wherever you're haunting... :D

It also had The Cars That Ate Paris and The Legend of Hell House, all for £5 and 99 of my British pence!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 12:59:46 PM »

Sick Girl
'Angela Bettis' (MAY,TOOLBOX MURDERS) stars as a shy entomologist whose drab life is changed by the simultaneous arrival of a large, mysterious bug and a torrid affair with a sexy young woman ('Erin Brown' aka erotic scream queen 'Misty Mundae'). But when the bizarre insect chooses a shocking place to secretly feed, Sapphic ecstasy turns to infection, mutation and murder. Will these lesbian lovers let a venomous threesome tear them apart, or is the most horrific metamorphosis of all yet to come?

Co-written and directed by 'Lucky McKee', this babes 'n' bugs shocker features extreme monster mayhem by 'KNB EFX' (LAND OF THE DEAD,HOSTEL) in one of the most unique films of the series 'Fangoria' calls "A smashing success...one of the best anthology fright shows ever!"

My Thoughts:
This one I basically have mixed feelings about. Parts of it I enjoyed.... other parts not so much. I think one thing I didn't like was the design of the bug. Though I do understand it must be difficult to design a bug the size they needed it to be. There is some things that they play for comedic value... others for shock value... and just a limited amount of gore in this one. So over all I would say this one is just an average episode in my opinion. Though I must admit that Erin Brown girl is a real cute one... of course I always had a thing for redheads anyway... description calls her an "erotic scream queen" under another name (Misty Mundae). I may have to see what else she has done.

For those interested here is the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_HvkHd5ym0
Pete