Author Topic: The Mist *****  (Read 9361 times)

richierich

Re: The Mist *****
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »
Nice review Jon, I don't necessarily agree with all your comments (that is what makes this forum the best!) but I really enjoyed reading your thoughts, personally I could live with the ending, and was not as bowled over by you, although I did think it a great film I would only have gone as far as a  ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »
If you mean the book, then that's "Four Past Midnight". It's an anthology of 4 short novels. I own it, but bought it at the time just before I stopped reading King; although I read "Gerald's Game" later on, which was quite good and potentially could make a great film.
A very good one that could look like a lot like the genre of movie that I usually watch. But forget it, this will never be made because of all the full frontal nudity in it. Honestly, without it the story is not the same at all.

The last book of King that I've bought is Desperation, but I was tired of him before that. In fact, The Tommyknockers is the last of his book that I've really enjoyed.

I did think it a great film I would only have gone as far as a  ;D
From you this is a perfect score  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:25:28 PM by Jimmy »

richierich

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 04:56:30 PM »

I did think it a great film I would only have gone as far as a  ;D
From you this is a perfect score  :laugh:

Exactly, I consistently undermark and keep my top marks as secure as my virginity   :hysterical:

MEJHarrison

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 08:17:33 PM »
I watched The Mist a few months back.  It also happens to be my favorite short story by King and I've read it a number of times.  I knew going into the movie that the ending of the story had been changed, but managed to avoid spoilers.  I have to say the ending didn't bother me.  It's not the best ending, but I really enjoyed the rest of the movie and don't want to let the last few minutes of the file ruin all that came before.

After reading this thread it's making me want to revisit the movie now.  I only watched the black & white version so far, so it will be interested to see it in color.

Najemikon

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »
Nice review Jon, I don't necessarily agree with all your comments (that is what makes this forum the best!) but I really enjoyed reading your thoughts, personally I could live with the ending, and was not as bowled over by you, although I did think it a great film I would only have gone as far as a  ;D

The more I think about the ending, the more I like it. Like I said, I think you have to be willing to accept a theme from much earlier, then it all makes sense.
(click to show/hide)

Exactly, I consistently undermark and keep my top marks as secure as my virginity   :hysterical:

Strange smell in here... :devil:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 06:55:30 AM »
The more I think about the ending, the more I like it. Like I said, I think you have to be willing to accept a theme from much earlier, then it all makes sense.
(click to show/hide)
:hmmmm:

I'll keep that in mind when I'll re-watch it soon...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
(click to show/hide)
:hmmmm:

I'll keep that in mind when I'll re-watch it soon...
Well. I did rewatch it yesterday and then went thought the commentary and some of the special features, incl. the interview with King. It is made clear how Darabont came up with the ending; he actually was inspired by a line in the last paragraphs of the novella. It is made clear that King likes the ending as well, almost hoped he had thought of it originally. If you have seen the movie and read Jon's above comment, that is exactly what Darabont was going for.

While I still have my reservations towards the ending, I now understand why he couldn't leave it like it was in the story and I see what he's trying to do. But as Jon said, it's a rather dark point of view (not that that's a bad thing for a movie like this, heck, he Darabont rightly references Night of the Living Dead in the commentary as having a similar ending and that's one of my favorite films).

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »
The joy of Night of the Living Dead for me was that only the viewer was aware of what had happened and the enormity of it. None of the characters care, for various reasons...
(click to show/hide)

So did you watch the mono version?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 05:02:58 AM »
So did you watch the mono version?
I assume you mean the b&w version of The Mist? No, not yet. I watched it with a friend on Sunday and the insisted on color. Not that he doesn't like B&W movies at all, but he wanted to see it the way he remembered it from the cinema. I did, however, take a quick peek at the second disc yesterday and it does look quite intriguing. I would imaging the fake looking tentacles would be improved with the color removed. You reckon I "need" to squeeze it in soon or just when it's time again to watch it...?

Najemikon

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 09:23:16 AM »
Not sure, because I never bothered with the colour one... The bits I saw looked awful when I had a quick look after seeing the B&W! It is a very watchable film though.  :tease:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
Not sure, because I never bothered with the colour one... The bits I saw looked awful when I had a quick look after seeing the B&W! It is a very watchable film though.  :tease:
This would indicate that people prefer what they see first ;)

Well, yes, the film is very watchable and as such will probably not have to wait until rotation brings it back on top 8)