Author Topic: My PILOT Marathon  (Read 35052 times)

richierich

Re: My PILOT Marathon
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »
MEN BEHAVING BADLY - SERIES ONE - INTRUDERS

Gary wants to leave his girlfriend, Dorothy, but she decides to leave him first. Gary owns a flat and needs a lodger to help pay the mortgage. Unfortunately, he's got Dermot as a lodger and he's no help at all. A young woman named Deborah moves into the flat upstairs and Dermot immediately decides he's in love with her. The feeling isn't mutual though!

Winning formula of this popular series starts here, despite the total mis-casting of Harry Enfield as Dermot. Thank god they sorted this for series 2 and ongoing.
This show always makes me laugh and is a personal favourite, a lot of the ridiculous situations, especially after beer, I have found myself in many times. Not sure how the show would be met in Europe, does the humour translate well?
I am totally biased on this show, but I would highly recommend it for those great belly laugh' moments every episode contains.

richierich

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »
CUTTING IT - SERIES ONE - PILOT

Allie has hopes of winning the National Hairdressing Championships, and also wants to open a second Henshall Ferraday salon, but Gavin has other ideas... he wants a baby. Allie finds the perfect place to have the second salon, a building directly across the street from their existing one. Allie talks Gavin into putting in a bid, but they're beaten by an unknown buyer paying £30,000 above the asking price. Allie and Gavin can't afford to go any higher and they let the mystery purchaser get the property. A few days later Mia Bevan visits Henshall Ferraday for a hair cut, and she reveals she's the new owner of the property across the street, and she's opening a salon! Finn Bevan, Mia's husband, shows up shortly after and lets on that he seems to know Allie from the past, but Allie says she doesn't remember him. Later on Allie is visited by Finn, and we find out that the two used to go out years ago. But not only did they go out... Allie was pregnant with his baby, and she reveals to him that she had an abortion. Allie soon finds out that it's no coincidence Finn is back on the scene... he's purposely bought the salon directly across the road to get close to Allie. He's trying to get her back!

CHICK SERIES!
But saying that it was ok, but not really much to grab a fella unless you are into bitching between hairdressers.

richierich

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »
MEDIUM - SERIES ONE - PILOT

First aired: 1/3/2005   
Allison keeps having “dreams” that her husband Joe is determined to disprove. In a drastic measure he submits her “dreams” to different law enforcement agencies. Much to his surprise he gets a hit on a case out of Texas, involving the murder of a teenage boy.

A nice surprise this pilot, I was skeptical as most 'psychic' programmes are typically afternoon runs with old grannies in the leads, but this turns the whole genre on it's head. A seemingly ordinary American family, with a mum (Patricia Arquette perfectly fitting the role) who actually looks like a mother, she unenthusiastically offers her help to solve a crime puzzle in the pilot show.
The writing, character exploration and interaction, and all the small details she discovered whilst proving her powers made it great viewing.
I'd highly recommend this based on the pilot

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »
Medium is one of my favorite shows... I never miss an episode as it airs... and get all the sets as they come out! :)
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »
I enjoyed the 1st couple of episodes of the 1st season but that was it. By the end of the season I couldn't even watch it anymore.  :tomato:

Different strokes for different folks I guess.  :yu:

Najemikon

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2008, 09:34:54 PM »
Every now and again I catch an episode and usually enjoy it, but I've never seen myself sitting down to watch the whole thing. Strange, because to be honest, I think Patricia Arquette is wonderful in it.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »
I think she is amazing in it. I couldn't imagine a better actress for the role to be honest with you. I been totally addicted to that show since the pilot episode. And watched all the episodes several time now. :p)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 12:56:18 AM »
BONES - SEASON ONE - PILOT

I viewed this with high expectations having read a lot about the author. Sadly this is definetely not one of the best pilots I've ever seen, I didn't expect to see the main lead punching half the cast and being so 'angry'. I have been informed though this does not continue into the series. The episode was predictable and less dramatic than I anticipated, albeit the ending was good.
Acting was slightly stiff and David Boreanaz's quips didn't work for me, on initial assessment I would classify him/his character as a weakness.
However, despite the overall disappointment, and bearing in mind it was only the pilot episode, I will give the series a chance and watch a few more episodes in the future.
 :-\

Did you ever pick this up again, Richie? I really recommend you do. I'm onto disc 3 now and it's great! Thing is, I had exactly the same reaction as you to the pilot, if not more so. I thought it was utter bollocks, pardon my French. I went straight into episode 2, although I really wasn't bothered, and it was better straight away. A couple more under the belt and it really hits its stride.

In retrospect, I think the pilot was basically a show reel for a stupid studio executive who needs things painted very broadly to have a hope of understanding what it is about. The airport scene was particularly bad: "Heroine, check, daft mate, check, kung fu, check, cocky FBI agent, check, OH! HE arranged the ARREST! OH! I didn't see THAT coming! Nice. Twist... check. Ok, I'll buy it." :yucky:

It's much better than that. 

richierich

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2009, 12:45:36 AM »
September 2009 is an opportunity to catch up on my collections unwatched TV series pilots 14 months after previous listings.

Murphy's Law: The Complete First Series

PILOT

A team of undertakers are moonlighting as diamond thieves, and the bodies are stacking up. Murphy infiltrates the group and discovers a somewhat sinister connection with Japanese heroin dealers. Meanwhile, the team's leader, Hatcher, is planning the most audacious heist yet. Murphy has to hold his nerve in an epic final showdown.

Run of the mill Saturday night BBC fare, an unorthodox cop uses questionable means to infiltrate gangs and solve cases, whilst his superiors question whether they should rein him in or let him run loose.
The pilot is a showcase for Nesbitts undoubted talent, as he dominates proceedings in a good pilot full of red herrings, twists, cockney gangsters and a solid background for the series to progress. Claudia Harrison in the leading lady role was a newcomer to me, and impressive.
Quality tv without brilliance, I will certainly view the remainder of series one in due course.
 :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:52:17 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2009, 01:04:29 AM »
The Cosby Show

Pilot Presentation - Theo's Economic Lesson

The Cosby Show pilot episode uses the same title sequence as the rest of the first season, and is widely regarded as the 'first episode'. However, it is notable for a number of differences from the remainder of the series.
In the pilot, the Huxtables have only four children. Following the pilot, the Huxtables have five children, with the addition of their eldest daughter, Sondra (Sabrina Le Beauf). The character was created when Bill Cosby wanted the show to express the accomplishment of successfully raising a child (e.g., a college graduate). Whitney Houston was considered for the role of Sondra Huxtable. Sabrina LeBeauf almost missed out on the role because she is only 10 years younger (b. 1958) than Phylicia Rashād (b. 1948), who played her mother.
Bill Cosby's character is called "Clifford" in the early episodes of the first season (as evidenced by his name plate on the exterior of the Huxtable home). His name was later switched to "Heathcliff". Additionally, Vanessa refers to Theo as "Teddy" twice in the dining room scene.

Clair is furious when Theo brings home a report card with 4 D's. He tells Cliff that he has no intention of going to college, as he feels that he is destined to be a "regular person." Cliff uses Monopoly money to teach him about the economic realities that many blue-collar workers must face. He assures Theo that he only wants him to try his best. Cliff is alarmed to meet Denise's latest beau, a former merchant marine who once spent time in a Turkish prison

Not a lot one can say about a tv series we no doubt would all of caught at some point. The pilot was a good introduction to the original family and the brand of humour one can expect throughout its long run. Probably a lot more suited and popular in the States than the UK, it still had a fairly long run here and was repeated a multitude of times.
It is one of those friendly sitcoms you can pick up at any point, there is no longer term complicated plot, and it is easy viewing.
Interesting tp note the points above, with a few changes by its 2nd episode, most notably a name change for the lead and another child appearing!
 :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:43:44 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2009, 07:47:36 PM »
Crime Traveller

Episode 1 - Jeff Slade & the Loop of Infinity
Jeff Slade is a detective who is in trouble with his boss when a stakeout goes wrong. His partner, Holly Turner, is on hand to help him out. Her methods. however, are unusual (to say the least!)and involve a time machine....

Meet the most unconventional investigative duo of any time - JEFF SLADE and HOLLY TURNER in the mystery adventure series Crime Traveller.
Sleuths come and go, working on intuition, luck and clues, but Slade and his science officer colleague Holly are armed with something extra in their fight against crime - their very own Time Machine.
Invented and developed over the years by Holly's father, quantum physicist Professor Fredrick Turner, the Time Machine is a bizarre mixture of DIY technology, but it works.  Unfortunately the Professor disappeared during one of his time travel experiments, leaving his daughter convinced that he is still out there somewhere, stuck in another dimension.
Holly is now in charge of the Professor's extraordinary legacy, which is kept hidden in her apartment.  When Slade, a charming maverick detective, discovers the Time Machine's existence, he convinces Holly to use it in order to solve major crimes.  The scene is set for a rollercoaster ride, through the present and the past.
High speed chases and intriguing puzzles are solved with the aid of their unreliable Time Machine, in this stylish, fast-paced drama.

Ridiculous plot and concept, made worse by some particularly hammy acting by most involved. The contraption which Holly has produced to travel through time looks like it is made from old washing up liquid bottles and cereal packets. It must also be shy, as it only works when the curtains are closed. To ensure they don't get back 'before time runs out', bizarrely they have to wear huge digital watches the size of a plate on their wrists??
The plot had as many holes as a piece of edam, a distinct lack of 'whodunnit' suspense, and paradoxes which were non-sensical.
Flimsy attempt at sci-fi, but at the time a novel idea for a detective series.
 :-\
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:44:39 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »
The Good Life

Episode 1 - Plough Your Own Furrow
After he has celebrated his 40th birthday Tom decides that he is unhappy with his life style so he packs his job in, farms his large garden and becomes self sufficient.

The Good Life stars Richard Briers and Felicity Kendal as Tom and Barbara Good, a middle class suburban couple who on Tom's 40th birthday decide to turn their Surbiton home into a self sufficient allotment. They grow their own food, keep farm animals and have sold or bartered all of their electrical appliances as they have no electricity.
This creates friction with their best friends and next door neighbours, the Leadbetters (Jerry and Margo) played by Paul Eddington and Penelope Keith. But even though the Goods have lowered the tone of the neighbourhood in the Leadbetters eyes they still can't help but be best of friends

Watching this pilot is like pulling on an old cardigan, you immediately feel comfortable, happy and content.
Having watched the series several times over the years, it was good to revisit the original episode as a reminder of how and why it all started. The cast of course are like old friends, warm, approachable, self-assured and accomplished from the get-go.
Excellent entertainment and a true classic from the seventies.
 :thumbup:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:52:21 PM by Rich »

Rogmeister

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »
Regarding The Cosby Show, a series I thoroughly enjoy, I don't recall a name change for the lead.  I may have to go back and check on that.  I do know that, after the pilot was shot, Bill Cosby decided he wanted his character to have 5 children instead of 4.  Hence a certain exchange no longer makes sense...

Clair: Cliff, why do we have four children?
Cliff: Because we did not want five...

To me, the biggest change was in the setting...they did some major remodeling of the set after the pilot had been shot...  :D

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »
Clair is furious when Theo brings home a report card with 4 D's. He tells Cliff that he has no intention of going to college, as he feels that he is destined to be a "regular person." Cliff uses Monopoly money to teach him about the economic realities that many blue-collar workers must face. He assures Theo that he only wants him to try his best. Cliff is alarmed to meet Denise's latest beau, a former merchant marine who once spent time in a Turkish prison

Hey, I know that episode! Never knew though that it was the pilot. Sitcoms like this ran in an infinite loop around here (Nowadays it's sitcoms like King of Queens and Home Improvement that are stuck in a loop)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

richierich

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
Regarding The Cosby Show, a series I thoroughly enjoy, I don't recall a name change for the lead.  I may have to go back and check on that.  I do know that, after the pilot was shot, Bill Cosby decided he wanted his character to have 5 children instead of 4.  Hence a certain exchange no longer makes sense...

Clair: Cliff, why do we have four children?
Cliff: Because we did not want five...

To me, the biggest change was in the setting...they did some major remodeling of the set after the pilot had been shot...  :D

Bill Cosby's character is called "Clifford" in the early episodes of the first season (as evidenced by his name plate on the exterior of the Huxtable home). His name was later switched to "Heathcliff". Additionally, Vanessa refers to Theo as "Teddy" twice in the dining room scene.

And yes good spot on the decor, a completely revamped colour scheme and arrangement, especially around the dining area.