Author Topic: My PILOT Marathon  (Read 35045 times)

richierich

My PILOT Marathon
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:07:36 AM »
Flagrantly stealing other users idea of a Pilot Marathon, but with my time being pressed at the moment it fits nicely.
Apologies in advance for upsetting long-standing fans of TV Series if I mark them down, please remember I am UK viewer with 'unique' tastes.
I will only be watching pilot episodes of TV series that I have not watched on dvd, hopefully to get me watching a few complete series in my huge unwatched pile  :tv:

Using the now accepted 'DCO' review marking system...
 :thumbup: = Excellent
 ;D = now that was quite good
 :) = I enjoyed it
 :-\ = not really bad, but not good either
 :yawn: = boring
 :yucky: = bad or worse
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:30:43 AM by richierich »

richierich

Re: My PILOT Marathon
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »
THE SHIELD - SEASON ONE - PILOT

Detective Vic Mackey leads an aggressive Anti-Gang unit called the Strike Team. They are ramping up their control in the Farmington district, while Captain David Aceveda is working to eliminate corruption in the precinct. Aceveda and Detective Terry Crowley team-up to bring down the Strike Team. Meanwhile, detectives, Dutch Wagenbach and Claudette Wyms, investigate a murder wherein a young girl was kidnapped by the victim's addict husband.

This episode introduces Detective Vic Mackey (Michael Chiklis), old-style hardline cop with the most unorthodox crime fighting practices. This pilot illustrates how graphic, violent and gritty the series would probably become.
With the multiple cases happening across the pilot, a snitch on Mackey in his strike team, the murder of a young mother & trading of her missing 8 year-old daughter, drug busts, hookers, barbaric interviews, office politics, and pranks on Dutch, you can't fault this for entertainment.
The ending - superb, shan't spoil it for anyone, but I never saw it coming.
Cast deliver strong performaces, realistic feel, POV camera angles and a powerful script delivers a pilot that will force me to return and watch the full series.
 ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:31:19 AM by richierich »

richierich

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:57:09 AM »
PRISON BREAK - SEASON ONE - PILOT

Michael Scofield, a structural engineer, attempts to rob a bank in order to get incarcerated at Fox River State Penitentiary, where his brother Lincoln Burrows, accused of murdering the Vice President's brother, is scheduled to be executed.
At Fox River, Michael approaches a number of inmates, all of whom play an important role in his plan to free his brother from the inside.
Meanwhile, agents Kellerman and Hale are determined to make sure the execution goes through as planned.

Now this is where I may get into trouble  :tomato:

I thought this pilot was terrible, woodenly acted with multiple far-fetched and unbelievable plots. Way too Hollywood for my taste, unpolished, clichéd, empty characters staffed by pretty boys and wannabes. And is that the most lame ending ever, stare at my tattoo (the one that didn't bleed!) and wait to see what you will discover!! :hysterical:
Wentworth Miller - go learn to act!
I would need to be either beaten with a hosepipe or strenuously convinced this show improves before I watched it any further, I cannot believe it is so popular in the UK??
 :yucky:

richierich

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:05:52 PM »
JERICHO - SEASON ONE - PILOT

First Aired: Wednesday September 20, 2006   
After a nuclear disaster caused by several terrorist attacks destroys most of America, residents of a small Kansas town must come to terms with a new and very different reality.

Finally got my boxset back!
Not as good as I had hoped and could have been better, but this series shows definite potential.
The storyline basis of the aftermath of a nuclear attack in the USA had me intrigued and excited, as it was fairly original amidst all the 'missing person criminal alien conspiracy dramas' available. The build up failed to create any tension and was not in-depth enough for me. Too many characters rushed onto screen so it was hard to relate to any, and the weight and severity of a nuclear attack wasnt driven home.
However, despite it's downfalls, the pilot did have some very interesting ideas which I shan't share as it may spoil it. The viewpoint of an isolated town witnessing the mushroom clouds from afar was very chilling.
I must admit I immediately watched episode 2 after the pilot, it has that Lost/Surface/4400/24 type of addiction that just makes you HAVE to know what happens next
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:45:29 PM by richierich »

richierich

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
BONES - SEASON ONE - PILOT

In the series premiere, Dr. Temperance Brennan (or "Bones" as she is often referred to as), a forensic anthropologist, is met with the task of uncovering the identity of a set of bones which have been deliberately hidden in a lake. However, after identifying the bones, imprisoning the murderer turns out to be a politically sticky business. Bones gets help from FBI Special Agent Seeley Booth, who convinces his boss to let Bones be his partner, since she's an expert in her field.

I viewed this with high expectations having read a lot about the author. Sadly this is definetely not one of the best pilots I've ever seen, I didn't expect to see the main lead punching half the cast and being so 'angry'. I have been informed though this does not continue into the series. The episode was predictable and less dramatic than I anticipated, albeit the ending was good.
Acting was slightly stiff and David Boreanaz's quips didn't work for me, on initial assessment I would classify him/his character as a weakness.
However, despite the overall disappointment, and bearing in mind it was only the pilot episode, I will give the series a chance and watch a few more episodes in the future.
 :-\

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »
Care to comment on Jericho...?

(It's a series I consider buying; I like it when I know how many sets I'll need to complete the whole series :laugh:)

richierich

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 12:29:37 PM »
Care to comment on Jericho...?

(It's a series I consider buying; I like it when I know how many sets I'll need to complete the whole series :laugh:)

When my daughter returns it to me full review will follow!! I went to get it off shelf and it had disappeared  :o
She had swiped it on her last visit from university  :redcard:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »
When my daughter returns it to me full review will follow!! I went to get it off shelf and it had disappeared  :o
She had swiped it on her last visit from university  :redcard:
Well, maybe with asking she may have had no chance at all :devil:

Go get her! :giljotiini:

richierich

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 11:56:19 PM »
FRIENDS - SEASON 1 - PILOT

First aired: 9/22/1994   
This is the one where it all began... Rachel leaves Barry at the altar, meets the gang, and moves in with Monica. Monica, meanwhile, sleeps with Paul the Wine Guy, and Ross is reeling from his divorce from Carol, who has become a lesbian.

Great to go back after all these years to see where it all began. The show did not stray too far from the format of this first episode, and the characters matured with all 10 series. The jokes in this pilot are ok and the acting average, but the chemistry is perfect and indicates why this became such a monster hit series.

richierich

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 12:14:01 AM »
MARION & GEOFF - SERIES ONE - EP1

"I don`t feel like I`ve lost a wife, I feel like I`ve gained a friend. I would never have met Geoff if Marion hadn`t left me!

Good morning, good morning! It`s a beautiful day and Keith is looking for a fare. With the cab`s radio on the right channel he might even find one...Separated from his wife Marion and missing his `little smashers` Rhys and Alun, the `man with no home` is always optimistic. Marion`s lover Geoff may be something hot in pharmaceuticals, but Keith Barrett is `in cars`, literally. Keith is always popping up to Cardiff to keep an eye on Marion and the kids (through his binoculars). The trouble is, he`s always a bit early and they never want to see him. Still - another day, another dollar! Apart from a little trapped wind and his impending divorce, life for Keith is lovely, smashing and very nice.

After seeing Rob Brydon live, I had high hopes for this series. But if the first episode is anything to judge this by, I was disappointed overall by the lack of originality and humour, in fact I felt quite depressed by the storyline which revolves around a lonely loser who craves everything he has lost, all shot inside his taxi.
I will not rush to finish this series.

richierich

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 12:35:44 AM »
PLAYMAKERS - PILOT

First aired: 8/26/2003   
The Cougars are tying to save there season, on a two game winning streak that has improved them to 2-3. It's six hours to kick-off and everyone is getting ready for the biggest game of the season so far. Leon Taylor, back from injured reserve, plans to retake the running back throne from rookie Demetrius "DH" Harris, who has been one of the leagues best rushing backs thus far in the season. Coach George must get hard-hitting middle linebacker Eric Olczyk's head together before the game, who is struggling with a hit he put on an opponent two weeks prior.

I know very little about american football, but i found this pilot focused more on character building and was a punchy emotive first showing with the sport as just the background. Fully understand why the series got canned now, it portrays the sport as brutal, ugly, drug ridden and corrupt. I'm sure it stretched the truth somewhat, but the excellent writing and pace of the show was good enough that I shall return to finish the season.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 12:40:36 AM »
PLAYMAKERS - PILOT

First aired: 8/26/2003   
The Cougars are tying to save there season, on a two game winning streak that has improved them to 2-3. It's six hours to kick-off and everyone is getting ready for the biggest game of the season so far. Leon Taylor, back from injured reserve, plans to retake the running back throne from rookie Demetrius "DH" Harris, who has been one of the leagues best rushing backs thus far in the season. Coach George must get hard-hitting middle linebacker Eric Olczyk's head together before the game, who is struggling with a hit he put on an opponent two weeks prior.

I know very little about american football, but i found this pilot focused more on character building and was a punchy emotive first showing with the sport as just the background. Fully understand why the series got canned now, it portrays the sport as brutal, ugly, drug ridden and corrupt. I'm sure it stretched the truth somewhat, but the excellent writing and pace of the show was good enough that I shall return to finish the season.

I love football but had never heard of this series; thanks for the info!

lyonsden5

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 01:20:30 AM »
Playmakers was one of the 1st TV shows I got to watch in High Def. There wasn't too much programing at that time so I was sure I caught anything HD. I was glad I did.

I enjoyed the series a lot and wished for a 2nd season. Unfortunately it aired on ESPN. The NFL did not like the show because of the way it portrayed everything about pro football. ESPN certainly needed the NFL more than it needed it's own drama series and that was that.

I hope you enjoy it Richie. Think I might just have to watch it again myself.   :cheers:  Favorite episode - One Tenth of a Second  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:23:35 AM by lyonsden5 »

richierich

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 02:05:04 PM »
CARNIVALE - SEASON ONE - PILOT MILFAY

First aired: 9/14/2003     
An 18-year-old, Ben Hawkins, is taken in by a traveling Carnivale after his mother passes away. An evangelical preacher receives a sign that leaves him awakened to the possibility of mysterious powers.

Slow-paced and Steinbeck influenced, filmed in a sandstorm, and despite high production values and good acting doesn’t exonerate a somewhat uninspiring script. The leads have no chemistry although I am sure a future romance is on the cards. And the coins coming out of the womans mouth miraculously - come on!
Due to it's reputation I will at some point return to try and complete the first series, but I won't rush to do so.

richierich

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 02:16:27 PM »
GREY'S ANATOMY - SERIES ONE - PILOT - A HARD DAY'S NIGHT

Meet Meredith Grey. Daughter of famous surgeon Ellis Grey and currently recovering from a one-night stand. She shoos away her evening's companion, saying she'll be late for her first day of work. She is a first year intern at Seattle Grace Hospital and is working alongside some colorful characters. Cristina Yang is a highly competitive Stanford graduate who befriends Meredith. George O'Malley is a quirky warm hearted man who learns a lesson or two on his first day. Izzie Stevens is a former model who doesn't get any special treatment on her first day. And Alex Karev is an arrogant jerk who misdiagnoses a patient on his first shift. Overseeing them is Miranda Bailey, (not-so-) affectionately dubbed 'The Nazi'. Meredith also gets a surprise when she realizes that her friend from the night before is a co-worker, and even worse, her boss.

At the point of watching, this was winning my poll, and all I can say is thanks guys and gals!  :cheers:
An excellent way to start a series, characters constructed with belief and artistry, touches of humour, drama and suspense.
This show appears gripping right off the bat. Well written, well acted and crafted to hook the viewer.
The strength of any series for me are the characters, and this is jam packed full of quality roles. George is funny with no idea with the ladies. Meredith a strong main character, and her relationship with Shepard will be interesting to watch develop. Miranda (Hitler) looks like a character I will enjoy watching.
Overall a great start, and is now at the top of my 'must see more' pile.
Only concern is how skinny Ellen Pompeo looks - is she anorexic??