Author Topic: That's why I try to avoid getting involved in actors' lifes  (Read 2932 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
That's why I try to avoid getting involved in actors' lifes
« on: April 21, 2018, 07:02:30 PM »
As far as I can remember I have enjoyed fiction. As a child in East Germany there wasn't much TV but I thouroughly enjoyed stories in books (I read the Battle for Troy and the Oddyssey in a children's book version) and to this day I love to read when I find the time.

In the late 80s but especially in the 90s I discovered TV and movies for me. But even then for me it was always about the characters and the story. I cared very little about the actors behind the characters.

For the most part I still practice it. But with many TV-releated websites mixing TV news with gossip news you can't always avoid the drama behind the scenes. That's when you learn that Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd hated each other. You learn that there was some conflict between Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion that led to the demise of Castle.

And you learn some things about one of your most favourite shows that makes it really hard to rewatch old episodes and not think about what you have learned everytime the actor portraying the character comes onto the screen.

Long story short, Allison Mack who played Chloe Sullivan on Smallville has been arrested for being part of a cult that sex-trafficed women and basically enslaved them: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43846243
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: That's why I try to avoid getting involved in actors' lifes
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 03:10:33 AM »
It's that question about whether one can or should separate an artist's personal life and their art.

Many artist have made questionable (at best) choices in their lives, but maybe we can still enjoy their art while despising the person. Of course, such decision also depends on the gravity of their choice, so murder or sex trafficking will likely have a different weight for that decision than other choices.

Also, about the things the artist created before this came to light. While I can make a statement not watching new releases after the issues come to light, the old stuff already stands...? E.g. Netflix did not remove old episodes of House of Cards from their repertoire, but they do not include Kevin Spacey in future episodes (the final season). Can I still watch Se7en or should I throw the DVD out because Kevin Spacey is in it?

...and then there is all those guys we just don't know what they did (yet).

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 05:54:55 AM »
Yep, Se7en is a no-go. And don't even think of rewatching The Usual Suspects.
Go through your collection and throw out everything that Harvey Weinstein has been involved with! So kiss goodbye to your Lord of the Rings trilogy, for example!  ;)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »
Nah ... just take it forward.  It is funny when "times" change and the rules change.  These aren't new things.  And if you think i am going to get rid of my LOTR ... you are crazy  :surrender:
Thank you
David

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
Yep, Se7en is a no-go. And don't even think of rewatching The Usual Suspects.
Go through your collection and throw out everything that Harvey Weinstein has been involved with! So kiss goodbye to your Lord of the Rings trilogy, for example!  ;)

With Harviy it's a lot easier because he doesn't actually appear on screen.  But Allison is a major part of every Smallville episode prior to season 10.

Luckily for humans, time will create a fog. Currently this news story is hot (she's been released on bail and is negotiating a plea deal). In a few months this will all be old news.

But for now, every time Chloe Sullivan appears on screen I think "branded women".
Karsten

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 04:33:46 AM »
I am pretty sure Gunnar was joking, but I still gotta wonder how Weinstein was involved with the LOTR movies...  :headscratch: It was produced by New Line Cinema, which was then later bought by Warner Bros., not Miramax...?

Also, punishment should only happen forward indeed, but should be by the studios not employing them, because if we just don't watch the stuff these people made or are in, a lot more people get punished who are involved in the process of making a film. But then again, if they still hire him, things are fair game. Like Ridley Scott realized and acted upon last year with All The Money In The World.

And sadly we have to agree, that this is not a new phenomenon, it is just that the modern times now encourage the victims to step forward.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »
Totally agree, Achim.
And btw Weinstein is listed as Executive Producer on the LOTR movies, according to IMDb. Not sure what that actually entailed.