Author Topic: Christmas 2017  (Read 10937 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Christmas 2017
« on: November 29, 2017, 03:14:09 AM »

Christmas 2017
Well it is that time of the year again.  Christmas time is among us. This is the first year since my wife passed away (right before before Christmas) that I actually feel like I can get into the Christmas spirit and am actually looking forward to this month's marathon! I will be watching movies and TV specials from my always growing collection, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu and of course my roommate's collection.

My Collection:
Titles in bold are films I never seen.
12 Days of Christmas Eve
All I want for Christmas
Arthur Christmas
Babes in Toyland (1997)
The Bishop's Wife
Black Christmas
Black X-Mas
The Case for Christmas
A Chance of Snow
A Charlie Brown Christmas
The Christmas Blessing
The Christmas Card
Christmas Cupid
Christmas in Boston
Christmas in Connecticut
Christmas in Wonderland
The Christmas Shoes
A Christmas Story
A Christmas Story 2
The Christmas Tree
Christmas with the Kranks
A Christmas without Snow
Dear Santa
Disney's A Christmas Carol
Don't Open till Christmas
Elf
An Evergreen Christmas
The Family Man
The Family Stone
A Flintstone Christmas Carol
Four Christmases
Frosty the Snowman
The Good Witches Gift
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever
A Hobo's Christmas
Holiday Inn
Holiday in Handcuffs
Home Alone
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (live action)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)
It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
It's a Wonderful Life
Jack Frost
Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special
Jingle All the Way
Krampus
Larry the Cable Guy's Christmas Spectacular
Love Actually
Lucky Christmas
March of the Wooden Soldiers
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
Miracle on 34th Street (1994)
A Miser Brother's Christmas
Mixed Nuts
The Muppet Christmas Carol
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
The National Tree
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Noel
Nothing Like the Holidays
Office Christmas Party
Pete's Christmas
The Polar Express
Prancer
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Santa Baby
Santa Baby 2: Christmas Maybe
Santa Buddies: The Legend of Santa Paws
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town!
The Santa Clause
Santa Clause 2
Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause
Santa Jr.
Santa Paws 2: The Santa Pups
Scrooge (1935)
Scrooged
The Search For Santa Paws
Silent Night, Bloody Night
Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus
This Christmas
Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage
Trading Christmas
A Very Brady Christmas
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
White Christmas
The Year Without a Santa Claus
Yogi Bear's All Star Comedy Christmas Caper

Obviously I will not watch all of these... but it will be fun to see how many I can fit in.

Out of the ones I haven't seen above (ones in bold) is there any recommendations that I need to try to fit in?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:00:39 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 05:13:12 AM »
I know how you feel about musicals, but still ... White Christmas!  :clap:

Your list also reminded me of another classic that I used to own on VHS, but for some reason never got around to get on DVD/BD - Holiday Inn. Time to rectify that.

Love Actually is another quite good movie. And of course you can never go wrong with The Muppets.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »
Thanks Gunnar... Danae Cassandra has been a bad influence on me. Since moving here my collection of both classics and musicals has skyrocketed!  :P
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
Prrsonally I don't do seasonal marathons, but I guess I can slip in an occasional Xmas movie.
Maybe it's time to dust off It's a Wonderful Life, that's been in my unwatched pile since 2005?  :-[

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 06:28:03 PM »
It's a great film!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »
I know how you feel about musicals, but still ... White Christmas!  :clap:

Your list also reminded me of another classic that I used to own on VHS, but for some reason never got around to get on DVD/BD - Holiday Inn. Time to rectify that.

Love Actually is another quite good movie. And of course you can never go wrong with The Muppets.

I got the 75th Anniversary Edition of Holiday Inn.... it comes with the original B&W, Colorized Version and the Broadway Musical.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:20:54 PM »
     The Case for Christmas (2011/United States)

Gaiam (United States)
Director:Timothy Bond
Writing:Tom Amundsen (Writer), Kevin Commins (Writer), Rickie Castaneda (Writer)
Length:88 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen :1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Dean Cain as Michael
Rachel Blanchard as Lauren
George Buza as Kris Kringle
Barry Flatman as Braxton Bennett
Krista Bridges as Dina Smiger

Plot:
Santa is in trouble! People are losing faith in him, and he's being sued for ruining Christmas. Michael Sherman is a young lawyer and single father still mourning the loss of his wife who takes Santa on as a client. He not only helps save Kris Kringle but also discovers the courage to let love back into his life, making this truly the happiest season of all.

Extras:
  • None

My Thoughts:

This is a Hallmark Channel Movie that originally aired November 19th 2011. This is however the first time I ever seen it. Like most TV Movies this has some familiar TV actors. In this case it is Dean Cain from "Lois and Clark." As I am sure you expected this film is a version of "Miracle on 34th Street" with a side story of a romantic comedy. A fun story with likable characters but like most romantic comedies it is a predictable movie. But it is the journey to the ending that makes a story worth it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 11:32:43 PM »
     The National Tree (2009/United States)

Gaiam (United States)
Director:Graeme Campbell
Writing:David Kranes (Original Material By), Lloyd Fonvielle (Story By), J. B. White [J.b. White] (Screenwriter)
Length:87 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen :1
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Andrew McCarthy as Corey Burdock
Evan Williams as Rock Burdock
Kari Matchett as Faith
Paula Brancati as Katie
Jayne Eastwood as Lana

Plot:
Facing hardship and adventure as they travel America's heartland, father and son discover a bond they never knew existed and the true meaning of Christmas. Full of holiday spirit, The National Tree is a heartwarming and inspiring film for the entire family.

Extras:
  • None

My Thoughts:

Another Hallmark Channel Movie.This one originally aired November 28th, 2009. While I am sure there is some notable names in this one.... none that I am familiar with. Out of the 4 movie box set I got this in... this is the one I was most concerned about enjoying. While it is a slow paced film... it is one that grew on me. The longer I watched t the more I liked it. So of you try this one, be sure you stick with it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 02:19:32 AM »

The Night Before Christmas (1933)
Toys help decorate a Christmas tree while Santa Claus fills children's stockings with treats.

My Thoughts:
This is an extra included on The Santa Clause blu-ray disc.  It is a fun little short. Though it feels like it should have had a little more to it. I don't know what mind you... just felt a little... not incomplete... more like a little insubstantial.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 03:50:56 AM »
     The Santa Clause (1994/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:John Pasquin
Writing:Leo Benvenuti (Writer), Steve Rudnick (Writer)
Length:97 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Russian: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Thai: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Tim Allen as Scott Calvin
Judge Reinhold as Neal
Wendy Crewson as Laura
Eric Lloyd as Charlie
David Krumholtz as Bernard

Plot:
Experience the true magic of the holidays with Disney's original hit comedy, The Santa Clause, now available on Blu-ray for the first time in a new digital restoration with enhanced picture and sound. Superstar Tim Allen sparkles in a hilarious family movie for all ages.

On Christmas Eve, divorced father Scott Calvin (Allen) and his son Charlie discover the current Mr. Claus has fallen off their roof. When Scott dons Santa's suit, he unwittingly triggers "The Santa Clause," and they are immediately whisked away to the North Pole to take on the role of jolly old St. Nick. Relive all the joy of this holiday classic in a whole new way in Disney High Definition!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • The Night Before Christmas Animated Short, Recipes

My Thoughts:

This has always been one of my favorites. I have watched it every year since it came out. It just does not feel like the Christmas season until I watch this film. In my opinion... everyone should watch this one at least once. I think it is a fun film for everyone in the family. Highly recommended!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »
     Holiday Family Favorites: Disc 1 (1936/United States)

Mill Creek Entertainment (United States)
Director:The First ChristmasRichard Slapczynski, Santa and the Three BearsTony Benedict, Santa and the Fairy Snow QueenSid Davis, Rudolph the Red-Nosed ReindeerMax Fleischer, Christmas Comes But Once a YearDave Fleischer, O' Little Town of BethlehemNeil E. McGuire, Santa in Animal LandStephen L. Sharff, Jingle BellsNeil E. McGuire, The Christmas VisitorJohn Halas, The CandlemakerJohn Halas, Joy Batchelor, Christmas Fairy TaleJean Downing, Christmas NightSoglow , Hector's Hectic LifeBill Tytla, Snow Foolin'I. Sparber
Writing:Santa and the Three BearsTony Benedict (Writer), Santa and the Fairy Snow QueenRobert Niel Porter (Writer), Rudolph the Red-Nosed ReindeerRobert L. May (Original Material By), Joseph Stultz (Screenwriter), Hector's Hectic LifeJoe Stultz (Story By), Larry Riley (Story By), Snow Foolin'I. Klein (Story By), The Elf and Mr. LittlePeter Son (Story By), The Little Match GirlHans Christian Andersen (Original Material By)
Length:295 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Subtitles:

Stars:
The First Christmas:
Alastair Duncan (voice)
Judy Morris (voice)
Ron Haddrick (voice)
Helen Morse (voice)

Plot:
Classic Christmas Cartoons & Shorts:
The Candlemaker
Christmas Comes But Once A Year
A Christmas Dream
Christmas Fairy Tale
Christmas Night
A Christmas Visit
The Christmas Visitor
The Elf and Mr. Little
The First Christmas
Hector's Hectic Life
Howdy Doody's Christmas
Jack Frost
Jingle Bells
The Little Lamb
The Little Match Girl
Merry Christmas
The Night Before Christmas
O' Come All Ye Faithful
O' Little Town of Bethlehem
A Present for Santa Claus
Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer
Santa and the Fairy Snow Queen
Santa and the Three Bears
Santa Claus Story
Santa in Animal Land
Silent Night: Story of the Christmas Carol
Snow Foolin'

Extras:
  • Virtual Fireplace

My Thoughts:

I just watched this full disc of cartoons and live action shorts. They range from "God Awful" to "very Good". Considering them all I am giving the disc a 3 out of 5 star rating. I would have to go with "The Night Before Christmas" as my favorite on this disc. It is a live action film where actor plays out the parts as a narrator reads the poem. I definitely like how they did this. But I must say... I like the newer tradition of decorating the tree with family and friends over what appears to be the older tradition of finding the tree decorated by Santa along with the gifts. A nice holiday watch here.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 11:01:59 PM »
     White Christmas: Diamond Anniversary Edition (1954/United States)
Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Michael Curtiz
Writing:Norman Krasna (Writer), Norman Panama (Writer), Melvin Frank (Writer)
Length:120 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Bing Crosby as Bob Wallace
Danny Kaye as Phil Davis
Rosemary Clooney as Betty Haynes
Vera-Ellen [Vera Ellen] as Judy Haynes
Dean Jagger as Major General Thomas F. Waverly

Plot:
White Christmas is a treasure trove of Irving Berlin's most memorable songs, among them "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep," "Sisters," "Mandy" and the beloved holiday song, "White Christmas." This Diamond Anniversary Edition Combo Pack includes the Blu-ray™ and DVD versions of this timeless musical plus new special features and a bonus 12-song Christmas music CD!

Two talented song-and-dance men (Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye) team up after the war to become one of the hottest acts in show business. One winter they join forces with a sister act (Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen) and trek to Vermont for a white Christmas. The result is stuff dreams are made of.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Sing-Along Version

My Thoughts:

I really liked the story here. The whole cast did a wonderful job. Though with a movie called "White Christmas" I would have liked to have seen it centered around Christmas more then this was. But even with that being said, I had a great time watching this film. It has a fabulous ending. The film easily gets you to care about the characters and I am talking about all the major characters. This is a true classic that I will be looking forward to watching every year for my Christmas marathon.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 07:25:16 PM »
     Prancer (1989/United States)

Shout! Factory (United States)
Director:John Hancock
Writing:Greg Taylor (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Sam Elliott as John Riggs
Cloris Leachman as Mrs. McFarland
Rutanya Alda as Aunt Sarah
Abe Vigoda as Orel Benton
Michael Constantine (1927) as Mr. Stewart/Santa

Plot:
A wounded reindeer and a precocious young girl form an everlasting bond in Prancer, a heartfelt drama about devotion, friendship, and the holiday spirit.

Jessica Riggs (Rebecca Harrell) plays an angel in her school pageant … but she becomes a real guardian angel when she finds an injured reindeer in the forest. Convinced that the deer Santa’s one and only Prancer, Jessica vows to nurse him back to health and return him safely home. However, before she can carry out her plan, Jessica discovers that her father (Sam Elliot) has made another, very different plan of his own! But as Jessica races to help her antlered friend find his way back to Santa in time for Christmas, wondrous changes begin to occur in the lives of the people around her … changes which lead to a conclusion that will warm your heart on even the coldest winter’s evening.

Also starring Academy Award winner Cloris Leachman, Abe Vigoda, and Michael Constantine, Prancer is an enchanting film full of "heart and gumption" (Roger Ebert)!

*1971: Actress in a Supporting Role, The Last Picture Show

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

This one was is a holiday drama. I personally found it a little slow for my taste. But not a bad story. It is worth the time put in to watch it. It is one I can see watching again... though not one I will feel the need to watch every year.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 10:06:55 PM »
     A Christmas Horror Story (2015/Canada)

RLJ Entertainment (United States)
Director:Grant Harvey, Steven Hoban, Brett Sullivan
Writing:James Kee (Writer), Sarah Larsen (Writer), Doug Taylor (Writer), Pascal Trottier (Writer)
Length:99 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
William Shatner as Dangerous Dan
George Buza as Santa
Rob Archer as Krampus
Zoé De Grand'Maison as Molly
Alex Ozerov as Ben

Plot:
It's the season of joy, peace, and goodwill...unless you live in Bailey Downs. Last Christmas Eve, two teens came to a grisly end in a school basement. Now, one year later, a new set of horrors has come to town. As three friends explore the site of the massacre, a malevolent spirit is determined to keep them there forever. One of the first cops to the scene of the bloody murders has new complications as his seven-year-old son exhibits terrifying and violent behavior. And when a local family seeks reconciliation with an estranged aunt for the wrong reasons, they suddenly find themselves running in terror from Krampus, the demonic anti-Santa Clause. Not even St. Nick is immune to the terror as he fights back against a horde of zombie elves. This is destined to be a holiday no one will ever forget...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is one I found on Netflix. It is an anthology horror (several stories in one movie) But a different kind of anthology. Unlike films like Cat's Eye, it doesn't separate the different stories. Instead it combines all the stories together. The only other film that I personally have seen do this is the Halloween film "Trick r' Treat." I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I must say though that my favorite story had to be Santa vs. the zombie elves. Unfortunately that story seemed to be shorter then the others. This is one I will have to add to my collection. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 12:13:39 AM »
     Santa Clause 2: 10th Anniversary (2002/United States)
Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Michael Lembeck
Writing:Leo Benvenuti (Story By), Steve Rudnick (Story By), Don Rhymer (Screenwriter), Cinco Paul (Screenwriter), Ken Daurio (Screenwriter), Ed Decter (Screenwriter), John J. Strauss (Screenwriter), Leo Benvenuti (Original Characters By), Steve Rudnick (Original Characters By)
Length:104 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Russian: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Thai: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Tim Allen as Scott Calvin/Santa/Toy Santa
Elizabeth Mitchell as Carol
David Krumholtz as Bernard
Eric Lloyd as Charlie Calvin
Judge Reinhold as Neil Miller

Plot:
Celebrate the 10th Anniversary of a magical holiday adventure – available for the first time on Blu-ray, featuring a new digital restoration with enhanced picture and sound. Tim Allen is back in Santa Clause 2, the hilarious sequel to the original Christmas favorite.

Scott Calvin (Allen) has been Santa Claus for the past eight years and all seems merry... until his son Charlie lands on the "naughty list." Things gets even more complicated when Scott discovers that he has to marry by Christmas Eve or he'll stop being Santa forever. Your whole family will want to unwrap the heartwarming holiday fun of Santa Clause 2 on Blu-ray High Definition!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

This is a fun sequel. I enjoyed it quite a bit... though it isn't as good as the first part. I liked the whole story line of making him get a wife and all. I just didn't care much for the idea of having a toy Santa taking over the North Pole. But over all well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete