Author Topic: I'm a lazy bastard...  (Read 1987 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
I'm a lazy bastard...
« on: March 29, 2017, 09:22:53 PM »
You see, I have this nice, little setup in my living room:

Comfy couch, 55" HDTV, 5.1 Surround System.

And yet I watch most of my stuff on my computer screen in the bedroom. Because most of the time I'm surfing the net also or just watch one last episode from the bed before going to sleep.

But here's the catch. I never really got Blu-rays to work on my PC. Even with decryption software and everything the picture had minimal but noticeable freezes every few seconds and it was annoying.

So I never watched Blu-rays there which is kind of a problem because I by ever fewer DVDs even with RomComs and the like.

So my unwatched pile grew and grew.

Long story short, I decided to take one of my Blu-ray players (I have one for Region B and one for Region A) from the living room to the bedroom and just put it under the smaller monitors (I have a 27" and 22" setup). I also invested into a small 2.1 sound system which I put behind the monitors.

Now my computer is connected to both monitors and a classic set of stereo speakers (the ones on the desk). I've had the speakers for ages because they have a really good sound quality. And my Blu-ray player (under the left monitor) is also connected to the bigger screen (right) and to the 2.1 system.

Now I can watch Blu-rays and still surf on the left screen if I feel doing so. Or I can watch from the bed on the right screen.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:16:08 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a lazy bastard...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:16:41 AM »
Once I start feeling I should browse the web while watching a movie, I might just as well turn the movie off :shrug:

Also, I prefer watching films in the comfort of my sofa. If I were to browse the web at the same time, I would simply use my iPad for that.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
Once I start feeling I should browse the web while watching a movie, I might just as well turn the movie off :shrug:

I've always been this way, I can rarely concentrate on only one thing. Even while reading your reply, I was watching a Youtube video at the same time. Though I stop the video while writing. Reading one thing and listening to another no problem because it's consumption. Typing requires active thought, then my input channels get a lower priority and I miss things.

Also, I prefer watching films in the comfort of my sofa. If I were to browse the web at the same time, I would simply use my iPad for that.

I actually don't really enjoy the tablet experience. I'm an active user, I comment on everything on the net and typing on a pad is just a hassle. The onscreen keyboard is just popping up covering half the screen. Marking, copy and pasting (like I did here by splitting your reply into two quotes) is just awkward on a tablet.

I grew up with DR-DOS and MS-DOS and I am still a proficient keyboard-only user (I love shortcut keys) but I'm also good with lefty-keyboard righty-mouse control. But pad control? Not my interface.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:26:33 AM »
My brain does not allow multi tasking on any larger level. Sure I can breathe and do stuff at the same time, but combining reading on websites and watching a film just doesn't work for me at all :(

I am not as active, more of a browser on the internet, so the tablet works just fine for me. The amounts of time I am actually typing replies or other things are few enough that I feel alright using the onscreen keyboard for it.