Author Topic: Not as much as in the beginning  (Read 1745 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Not as much as in the beginning
« on: February 20, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »
In the TV show Babylon 5 the initial contact between the Humans and the Minbari went horribly wrong and started a war between these two races. The Minbari were far more technologically advanced and basically pummeled the Humans. Shortly before the end of the war this dialog happened between two of the Minbari leaders:

Coplann: We are almost within range of the homeworld of the Humans. The Grey Council should be assembled...to see the end of our great campaign.
Delenn: What glory is there in eliminating an entire race, Coplann?
Coplann: Not as much as in the beginning.

I feel like this when it comes to movie collecting. Even now I still go into a store and see a movie that I don't know, read the description and think "yeah that sounds watchable".

But deep down I know I will not watch it on that day or the day after. It will get profiled and it will be shelved and I tell myself "you'll watch it soon".

And then it just stands there, collecting dust, maybe never to be watched.

There's just no excitement anymore, no pleasant anticipation of discovering a potential new favourite.

And that in turn leads to fewer and fewer purchase and even then it's probably just a Blu-ray upgrade of a DVD or some movie I've already seen many times where I justify the purchase with "you already know it's good" even though it probably will have the same shelf-live as it's never-seen companion.

Not all is lost though. By coincedence I came across the TV show Psych. Last weekend I watched an entire season of that and have still more than five seasons to look forward to.

But with movies? It's getting harder and harder to get excited about them. I watched neither Dr. Strange nor Rogue One in the theatre, I haven't been in the theatre for months at all.

I just find it sad that I don't care about my favourite pasttime as much as I used to.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Not as much as in the beginning
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:39:49 PM »
Yeah, I get that feeling sometimes, too. "How about this movie? Yeah ... some day, but I don't feel like it tonight."

I also seem to fall into another trap rather often. "Hmmm, how come I don't have [random important movie] on blu-ray. Must fix that!" And then it just sits there on the shelf. The Thing, Labyrinth (got it after Bowie died), Jaws, My Fair Lady, Spartacus, and so on and on.
And then I go and double-dip on crap like A*P*E and watch that on blu the day it arrives.  :bag:

Offline Parsec

• Reader
    • View Profile
Re: Not as much as in the beginning
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:18:41 AM »
Wow! I watch every movie I buy. I  guess it makes a difference when I don't have or buy the gazillions you guys have  ::)