Author Topic: Original/Remake Comparison Marathon  (Read 7985 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Original/Remake Comparison Marathon
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »
OK... Thought I would try to at least get some of this marathon in. First up...

Mystery of the Wax Museum/ House of Wax (1953)/ House of Wax (2005)

Mystery of the Wax Museum
MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (1933), starring Lionel Atwill as the wax-wielding madman and Fay Wray as a potential victim. Directed by Michael Curtiz and shot in a chillingly effective early two-color Technicolor process, it and its spooky remake offer you a delicious double-dip in a paraffin bath of terror.

My Thoughts:
Well... this one wasn't really what I was expecting... as it had the feel of more of a mystery movie then horror. Which is probably how it was meant. I found it to be a little on the slow side... but enjoyable. We will see how it holds up compared to the other 2.

NOTE: I will have the comparison at the end of the last movie in this group.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Original/Remake Comparison Marathon
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 09:59:45 PM »

House of Wax (1953)
In the wicked performance that crowned him the movie's master of the macabre, Vincent Price plays a renowned wax sculptor plunged into madness when an arsonist destroys his life's work. Unable to use his flame-scarred hands, he devises a new - and murderous - way of restocking his HOUSE OF WAX.

The sweet dread and sheer fun of this creepy classic, co-starring Phyllis Kirk, Carolyn Jones and Charles Bronson and directed by André De Toth, had its roots in a Warner Bros. chiller from 20 years before: 'Mystery of the Wax Museum'.

My Thoughts:
Now this one I really enjoyed. Big plus here... Vincent Price is in this movie. It felt like the film really caught a stride and never stopped till it was over. No slow/boring parts here for me. Definitely a movie I feel I can recommend.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 01:37:52 AM »

House of Wax (2005)
Thrills and chills ooze all over you in 'House of Wax', from Dark Castle Entertainment and legendary horror producers Joel Silver and Robert Zemeckis ('Gothika', 'House on Haunted Hill').

When their car breaks down on a road trip, six college friends are sidetracked into an eerie backwoods town. Curiosity gets the better of them when they are intrigured by its macabre House of Wax. They soon find out that the town is not what it seems and they must find their way out before they fall victim to its ghoulishly inventive killers.

My Thoughts:
Ok... this is NOT an example of a good remake. It is remakes like this that you find yourself asking why? Sure... the movie is more up to date. It has the new special effects... and yes sometimes stuff like that can be fun to watch.... but that just is not the case with this remake. It is an ok film for what it is... but it is not something I will go out of my way to watch very often. Even with that... this film does have some saving graces. For one... Jared Padalecki (Supernatural) is in it... so was fun to see him in something else. And... yes I have to say it... it is fun to see Paris Hilton get killed off.

Original/Remakes Comparison
Ok... here we start out with Mystery of the Wax Museum,,, a fair but sometimes slow movie. But it did have it's potential... so I can see remaking it. Then we have House of Wax (1953) To me this is a remake with purpose. It remakes the movie... leaving enough of it the same to recognize it... only improving on it. Having Vincent Price star in this remake is... in my opinion... the ideal choice. This movie I really enjoyed. Then in 2005 they decide to go back one more time. This time really changing the story a lot. Only problem with this is... the new story is not as good! And who do they get for the movie... Paris Hilton!?!?! all that equals big flop! So in this case... I do have to say I prefer a remake... but not the most recent one... as the Vincent Price version was the best by far!
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 01:52:31 AM »
Never seen any of the version, but I will have to buy the 1953 version someday. I've never heard one negative comment about it and Vincent Price is always a plus in any movie. He was a really great actor, it's kind of sad that he didn't really get a chance in something else than horror movie (one of best performance is in "Theatre of Blood" I really recommand it).

The film was originally made in 3-D, does the DVD is in 3-D?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 02:00:12 AM »
The version I have... the movie is not in 3-D... but as a bonus you get Mystery of the Wax Museum... so even though not a great film... it is still worth watching... especially since it is free with House of Wax
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 07:37:22 PM »

House on Haunted Hill (1959)
Eccentric Millionaire Frederick Loren ('Vincent Price') invites you to join a very special house party: the one guest who can manage to survive an entire night in his eerie (and locked) mansion will walk away with a big wad of cash. It seems simple enough - that is until the dead begin to stalk the living and there is no place to run.

My Thoughts:
As I have said before... Vincent Price is a favorite actor of mine. And this is one of my favorites of his movies. (that I have seen so far). a movie that I would highly recommend. When I first heard they were going to remake this movie I thought the idea was completely ridiculous!

House on Haunted Hill (1999)
One night in the house, one million bucks, no questions asked. But there is a catch for anyone who accepts the offer. Murder is a way of life at the 'House on Haunted Hill', a jolting, effects-ramped remake of the 1959 cult classic that starred Vincent Price and was directed by screen horror legend William Castle. Geoffrey Rush plays twisted theme park bigshot Steven Price, who's hosting a scary/jokey birthday bash for his wife (Famke Janssen) at an abandoned institute for the criminally insane. Taye Diggs, Ali Larter, Bridgette Wilson, Peter Gallagher and Chris Kattan portray strangers mysteriously assembled for the event that could make them all very rich. Or profoundly dead. And you? We won't start the party without you.

My Thoughts:
As I said before... I was less then thrilled when I first heard they were making this remake. Looking at the movie for what it is... on it's own merits I enjoyed it. Was a little over the top with the CGI... but still a decent watch... not sorry I gave it a chance... can see myself watching it again.

Original/Remake Comparison
I still don't feel the remake was necessary... but the same can be said for most all remakes. I think it did a good job at changing some of the story... without changing too much of it. But over all... I definitely prefer the original... I mean you just can't beat Vincent Price in this role.... and I just was not too satisfied with  Geoffrey Rush's attempt at it.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 02:43:45 AM »
I just watched the 1953 House of Wax. Loved it! Haven't seen it in years and it's a fantastic horror with a real taste for the theatrical, probably more than usual because it was going to be shown in 3D. Jimmy, although the DVD isn't 3D, it is still great fun to watch and spot the scenes that were done for that very reason. Things being thrown toward camera, gratuitous close-ups of Can-Can dancers, things swinging by the camera.

There's a hilarious moment when the wax museum is being opened. Outside there is an entertainer to bring people in and he has bats with balls on elastic. He bats them at people to give them a scare, but also at the screen and at one point he breaks the fourth wall, looking right down the camera saying he can see someone with popcorn and he's going to smack it out of their hands. Cue elasticated ball flying toward you! :clap:

Hitchcock was made to film Dial M for Murder as if it were going to be for 3D. The fad had died out by the time it came to release, but that's another film fun for spotting the 3D moments. Pete, that's another remake comparison you could do for this marathon... A Perfect Murder is a new version of Dial M.

As remakes go, I liked being able to check out Mystery of the Wax Museum on the DVD. Didn't watch it properly, just scanned through it for now, but I was impressed by how faithful the Vincent Price version was. Some scenes were verbatim, including dialogue and even the bit where...
(click to show/hide)
. Considering its age, I think it holds up rather well.