Author Topic: May 2008 Man/Men Marathon - Discussion Thread  (Read 12650 times)

lyonsden5

Re: May 2008 Man/Men Marathon - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »
It seems many of the runners who have started this month are going for a way shorter distance than usual. I am standing at 20 and while I don't think I can finish (26), I am leading; not that it's a race or I could get a prize for that... (I have been busy stealing cars and shooting people and the marathon had to take a backseat to that; I am of course talking about playing Grand Theft Auto IV).

We may have to find something different to watch similar/the same movies... At least the idea of running towards 26 movies within one month seems to be dead; or taking a rest for a while...

I'll be bowing out of any marathons I believe. I just don't watch enough to really participate.  :-[

Personally I'd like to see more single movie watching and discussing. That's something I could keep up with. (I know - so go start a thread about it  :laugh: )

m.cellophane

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
I don't mind choosing movies according to the month's theme. I generally can't keep up the pace all month long. I do find that the various themes cause me to watch things in my collection that I might otherwise forget about for too long. So as long as I can participate at a tortoise's pace, I don't mind running with the hares.  :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 03:07:56 AM »
I don't mind choosing movies according to the month's theme. I generally can't keep up the pace all month long. I do find that the various themes cause me to watch things in my collection that I might otherwise forget about for too long. So as long as I can participate at a tortoise's pace, I don't mind running with the hares.  :laugh:

Yep, same for me. Although I did pull out of this month's Man/Men marathon, because I felt like watching Charmed instead. But I love having a theme, as it restricts the movies I can choose from, and actually allows me to choose something.

As it stand right now, I want to watch a movie, but there's so many to choose from, I'll probably end up jacking cars instead (GTA IV)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 06:32:06 AM »
I'll be bowing out of any marathons I believe. I just don't watch enough to really participate.  :-[

Personally I'd like to see more single movie watching and discussing. That's something I could keep up with. (I know - so go start a thread about it  :laugh: )

These two exactly refer to what I was getting at. On the one hand the sheer amount of films we wanted to watch in the beginning (26 or more per month) is just not feasible for most of us (I can do it sometimes, but not every month).

On the other hand, it was also for me a good opportunity to limit, or better focus, the selection on certain films. Like James, I liked how it would "enable" me to watch films which I would otherwise not have picked from the unwatched pile. I do, of course, also understand that this concept still doesn't work for others, like Pete and Jimmy.

Rick correctly indicates, that the marathon often actually did not really trigger discussions about the films we watched. We'd often watch those films "parallel" (actually seldomly watching the same stuff) and rarely actually discuss it. (Yeah, maybe if I'd actually review what I watch it could trigger a discussion... :-[).

Well, let's try to get the "DVD Club" revived semetime soon, with everyone watching the same film and then discussing it a little.

EDIT:
Doh. I see Rick already started a thread.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 07:25:23 AM by Achim »