Author Topic: My Favorite Movies  (Read 4978 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
My Favorite Movies
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »
Well, I'll try to accept Yves "challenge" and list my top 10 movies by genre.
I present them in no particular order, though.

Fantasy:

The Wizard of Oz
UPC 012569-675360 | United States 1939 | 102 minutes | Turner Entertainment, Warner Home Video

We click our heels in anticipation. There’s no place like home and no movie like this one. From generation to generation, The Wizard of Oz brings us together - kids, grown-ups, families, friends. The dazzling land of Oz, a dream-come-true world of enchanted forests, dancing scarecrows and singing lions, wraps us in its magic with one great song-filled adventure after another.

Based on L. Frank Baum’s treasured book series, The Wizard of Oz was judged the best family film of all time by American Film Institute. And this never-before-seen restoration looks and sounds better than ever. We invite you to embark for the Emerald City on the most famous road in movie history. Dorothy (Judy Garland), Scarecrow (Ray Bolger), Tin Woodman (Jack Haley) and Cowardly Lion (Bert Lahr) await you on the Yellow Brick Road and Over the Rainbow.

An all-new Wizard of Oz Two-Disc Special Edition with more than 10 hours of special features including new commentary by Oz historian John Fricke, original Oz storybook read onscreen by Angela Lansbury, and much, much, more!

The Princess Bride
UPC 027616-066848 | United States 1987 | 98 minutes | Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

The Princess Bride is now even more enchanting on Blu-ray! With seven featurettes and the all-new True Love and High Adventure interactive game, this "dream of a movie" (People) is now a fantastical Blu-ray experience! "Wonderfully inventive and uplifting" (Los Angeles Times), this tongue-in-cheek fairy tale follows two star-crossed lovers as they encounter formidable odds and outrageously colorful characters! Starring Robin Wright, Cary Elwes and comic geniuses Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest, this film is "pure Hollywood magic" (L.A. Weekly)!

Beauty and the Beast
UPC 037429-172322 | France 1946 | 93 minutes | The Criterion Collection, Janus Films, Home Vision Cinema

Once upon a time, in a world of magic and wonder, the true love of a beautiful girl may finally dispel the torment of a feral but gentle-hearted beast. Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la Bête) is a landmark feat of cinematic fantasy in which master filmmaker Jean Cocteau conjures spectacular visions of enchantment, desire, and death that have never been equaled. The Criterion Collection proudly presents the original film version of Mme. Leprince de Beaumont's fairy-tale masterpiece in a newly restored spectacular new special edition.

Jason and the Argonauts
UPC 043396-342323 | United States 1963 | 104 minutes | Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

Fantastic special effects by Ray Harryhausen and exciting mythological adventure make this a film that is fun for everyone. It's the story of Jason (Todd Armstrong), a fearless sailor and explorer, who returns to the kingdom of Thessaly after a 20-year voyage to make his rightful claim to the throne. But to do so, Jason must first find the magical Golden Fleece. He selects a crew and with the help of Hera, Queen of the Gods, sets sail in search of the Fleece. Jason and his crew must overcome incredible obstacles including a 100-foot bronze giant, the venomous Hydra–a huge creature with the heads of seven snakes–and a spectacular battle with an army of skeletons.

The Wizard of Oz
UPC 5-051892-010344 | United States 1939 | 102 minutes | Warner Home Video

Sing-Along-Edition with Your Oz Favourites!

The Most Magical Movie in Hollywood History with Rainbow-Hued Picture Clarity and Revitalized Audio Fidelity.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
UPC 794043-554926 | New Zealand 2001 | 208 minutes | New Line Home Entertainment

Specially created for home viewing, over 30 minutes of new and extended scenes were added by director Peter Jackson, including new music composed by Howard Shore.

An ancient Ring thought lost for centuries has been found, and through a strange twist in fate has been given to a small Hobbit named Frodo. When Gandalf discovers the Ring is in fact the One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron, Frodo must make an epic quest to the Cracks of Doom in order to destroy it! However he does not go alone. He is joined by Gandalf, Legolas the elf, Gimli the Dwarf, Aragorn, Boromir and his three Hobbit friends Merry, Pippin and Samwise. Through mountains, snow, darkness, forests, rivers and plains, facing evil and danger at every corner the Fellowship of the Ring must go. Their quest to destroy the One Ring is the only hope for the end of the Dark Lords reign!

Mary Poppins
UPC 8-717418-412050 | United States 1964 | 139 minutes | Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment

Experience the extraordinary animation, dazzling special effects and award-winning music of Walt Disney's Mary Poppins in this fully restored and remastered 50th Anniversary Edition.

Join the "practically perfect" Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) as she magically turns every chore into a game and every day into a whimsical adventure. Along the way, you'll be enchanted by unforgettable characters such as the multitalented chimney sweep Bert (Dick Van Dyke).

Unpack Mary's magical carpetbag full of bonus features. You won't need "Spoonful of Sugar" to love every moment of this timeless Disney classic.

King Kong
UPC 883929-055609 | United States 1933 | 104 minutes | Turner Entertainment Company, Warner Home Video

IN THIS VERY SPECIAL BLU-RAY™ RELEASE, the newly remastered film is presented in its 1933 entirety and includes scenes that were originally considered too shocking for the 1938-1956 rereleases. a film ahead of its time, King Kong defied the technological limitations of the 1930s. Special effects pioneer Willis O'Brien's revolutionary stop-motion animation was not only technically brilliant but also highly imaginative. With equal parts adventure, horror and old-fashioned romance, King Kong is a milestone of moviemaking that has endured for more than seven decades.

Fantasia
UPC Disc ID: F479-590E-2C95-FF3E | United States 1940 | 125 minutes |

For the first time ever, 'Fantasia' is available on DVD in a special, uncut edition!  Restored and remastered, this special 60th anniversary DVD truly captures Walt Disney's unique inspiration – complete with the intermission and narration – which have not been included in the film since its original theatrical release!

'Fantasia' created the mold for blending music and movie magic into an exhilarating movie-going experience.  Unforgettable images are brought to life by some of the world's best music – the comedy of Mickey Mouse as a troublemaking sorcerer's apprentice, the beauty of winged fairies and cascading snowflakes, even plump hippos performing ballet in tutus!

With this special edition DVD, you are invited on a behind-the-scenes look at 'Fantasia'.  Included is a compilation of audio interviews with Walt Disney spanning three decades, much of which has 'never been heard', as well as insightful commentaries by Roy E. Disney and others whose talents have contributed to the 'Fantasia' legacy.

Never before has this masterpiece looked and sounded better than in this 60th anniversary edition DVD.  Enjoy the history, the sounds, the sheer excitement that is 'Fantasia'!

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
UPC 043396-278837 | United States 1958 | 88 minutes | Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

It's an incredible cinematic adventure as the legendary Sinbad sets off on a dangerous journey to the mysterious island of Colossa. His quest is to break the the spell cast over his beloved princess by a diabolical magician. But before he can save her, Sinbad must battle an awesome collection of mythical monsters: the man-eating Cyclops, a sword-wielding skeleton, a ferocious two-headed bird called the Roc and a fire-breathing dragon.

Starring Kerwin Matthews, Kathryn Grant, Torin Thatcher and highlighted by the stunning visual effects mastery of Ray Harryhausen. Now in a pristine, high definition transfer that captures the magic of Harryhausen's eye-popping special effects in dazzling Technicolor®, The 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD is a "winner all the way! ***½" (Leonard Maltin)

Offline surfeur51

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Favorite Movies
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:22:45 PM »
Interesting list, which shows clearly a pronounced taste for old movies. You probably noticed that in my lists movies are generally more recent, but I also appreciate the particular ambience of old movies, though I have more fun watching the modern remakes of "The Beauty and the Beast" (2014) or "King Kong" (2005) then the marvellous originals of 1946 and 1933.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 07:24:48 PM by surfeur51 »

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:17:11 AM »
Interesting list, which shows clearly a pronounced taste for old movies. You probably noticed that in my lists movies are generally more recent, but I also appreciate the particular ambience of old movies, though I have more fun watching the modern remakes of "The Beauty and the Beast" (2014) or "King Kong" (2005) then the marvellous originals of 1946 and 1933.
Well, you're right, I guess. I haven't given it much thought, but looking at the list - yes, I probably do have a weakness for older movies.

As you might have guessed, I'm a big fan of stop-motion, both old and new. Of course, nowadays they don't make live action movies with stop-motion special effects. I find that by making CGI creatures too realistic they lose that sense of fantasy, which in turn, paradoxically, makes the movie less realistic for me. Go figure...! I also too often find that movies with CGI feel like "look what we can do" or "just because we can".

I haven't see the 2014 Beauty and the Beast. That's one of the movies on my list to investigate based on your favorites. I have, of course, seen the Disney version, and I liked that a lot, too. If I had watched the Cocteau version before the Disney version I would probably have thought the Disney version was a little too "Disney".

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:45:30 AM »
Science Fiction:
Note that the line between Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror is rather diffuse sometimes.
Again, in no particular order:

Terminator 2: Judgment Day
UPC 012236-191513 | United States 1991 | 137 minutes | Lions Gate Home Entertainment

ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER returns as the Terminator in this explosive action-adventure spectacle. Now he's one of the good guys, sent back in time to protect John Connor, the boy destined to lead the freedom fighters of the future. LINDA HAMILTON reprises her role as Sarah Connor, John's mother, a quintessential survivor who has been institutionalized for her warning of the nuclear holocaust she knows is inevitable. Together, the threesome must find a way to stop the ultimate enemy – the T-1000, the most lethal Terminator ever created. Co-written, produced and directed by JAMES CAMERON (The Terminator, Aliens, Titanic), this visual tour de force is also a touching human story of survival.

The Time Machine
UPC 012569-523128 | United States 1960 | 103 minutes | Turner Entertainment, Warner Home Video

Here today, gone to tomorrow. When George (Rod Taylor) sits at the controls of his new creation, he has all the time in the world. He's invented a Time Machine that whisks him from 1899 to war-ravaged moments of the 20th century and into 802701. In that far-off era, passive Eloi face a grim future as prey to the glow-eyed subterranean Morlocks...unless the time-traveling stranger from the past intervenes.

At the controls of the movie of H.G. Wells' classic The Time Machine (now digitally restored and remastered and in remixed Dolby Stereo) is effects trailblazer George Pal, whose features and short films won a combined seven Oscars® and Special Awards.* One winner was this beloved adventure loaded with visual marvels, from the nuclear destruction of London (complete with lava eruption) to the colorful whirligig of time travel.

*1943: Special Award (Pal) for Puppetoons. 1964: Honorary Award for Outstanding Makeup Achievement (William Tuttle) for 7 Faces of Dr. Lao. Best Special Effects: Destination Moon (1950), When Worlds Collide (1951), The War of the Worlds (1953), tom thumb (1958, Tom Howard) and The Time Machine (1960, Gene Warren and Tim Baar).

Invasion of the Body Snatchers
UPC 017153-201826 | United States 1956 | 80 minutes | Artisan Home Entertainment

Something evil has taken possession of the small town of Santa Mira, California. Hysterical people accuse their loved ones of being emotionless imposters; of not being themselves. At first, Dr. Miles Bennell (Kevin McCarthy) tries to convince them they're wrong...but they're not. Plant-like extraterrestrials have invaded Earth, replicating the villagers in giant seed "pods" and taking possession of their souls while they sleep. Soon the entire town is overwhelmed by the inhuman horror, but it won't stop there. In a terrifying race for his life, Dr. Bennell escapes to warn the world of the deadly invasion of the pod people! Remade in both 1978 and 1997, this chilling combination of extraterrestrial terror and anti-conformity paranoia is considered one of the great cult classics of the genre.

RoboCop
UPC 027616-079978 | United States 1987 | 103 minutes | MGM Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

There's a new law enforcer in town...and he's half man, half machine! From the director of Total Recall and Basic Instinct comes a "sci-fi fantasy with sleek, high powered drive" (Time) about an indestructible high-tech policeman who dishes out justice at every turn! When a good cop (Peter Weller) gets blown away by some ruthless criminals, innovative scientists and doctors are able to piece him back together as an unstoppable crime-fighting cyborg called "Robocop." Impervious to bullets and bombs, and equipped with high-tech weaponry, Robocop quickly makes a name for himself by cleaning up the crime-ridden streets of violence-ravaged Detroit. But despite his new hardened exterior, Robocop is tormented by scraps of memory of his former life, and relives vivid nightmares of his own death at the hands of the vicious killers. Now he is out to seek more than just justice...he wants revenge! "Fast, furious and entertaining" (L.A. Daily News), Robocop is "a fiercely paced action film" (Screen International) that doesn't let up on the thrills.

Time After Time
UPC 085392-201723 | United States 1979 | 112 minutes | Warner Home Video

London 1893 is home to a killer with a macabre nickname... and also to a visionary genius who would write The Time Machine. But what if H.G. Wells' invention wasn't fiction? And what if Jack the Ripper escaped capture fleeing his own time to take refuge in ours - with Wells himself in pursuit?

From writer/director Nicholas Meyer, Time After Time is a marvelous entertainment of shivery suspense and sly social comment. In modern-day San Francisco, the Ripper (David Warner) finds our violent age to his liking. Wells (Malcolm McDowell) dislikes the brave new world of fast food and television, far from the utopia he envisioned. But he is cheered by the emancipation of women, particularly one irresistible banker (Mary Steenburgen). For mystery, romance and excitement, Time After Time is time well spent.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
UPC 786936-192476 | United States 1954 | 127 minutes | Buena Vista Home Entertainment

For the first time ever, you can enjoy this timeless classic in a Special Edition DVD. Fully restored to look and sound as it was originally intended, it also features hours of exclusive bonus materials your entire family will enjoy again and again.

Climb aboard the Nautilus...and into a strange undersea world of spellbinding adventure! Kirk Douglas, Paul Lukas and Peter Lorre star as shipwrecked survivors taken captive by the mysterious Captain Nemo, brilliantly portrayed by James Mason. Wavering between genius and madness, Nemo has launched a deadly crusade across the seven seas. But can the captive crew expose his evil plan before he destroys the world?

Disney's brilliant Academy Award®-winning* adaptation of Jules Verne's gripping tale makes 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea a truly mesmerizing masterpiece!

*Special Effects and Color Art Direction, 1954

Gojira
UPC 828768-455999 | Japan 1954 | 96 minutes | Classic Media, Sony BMG Music Entertainment

The ocean's surface boils white-hot and a Japanese freighter mysteriously vanishes in the Pacific. Rescue boats meets the same fate, and the superstitious villagers of Odo Island fear an ancient legend has come true: the legend of Godzilla! Reawakened from eons-long sleep by an H-bomb test, the behemoth seeks revenge on the civilized world, turning Tokyo into a wasteland of atomic fire and rubble. Caught in the monster's path of destruction are young lovers Emiko and Ogata, who must betray their friend Dr. Serizawa, a brilliant but tormented scientist, in order to save the world.

Classic Media presents the original and uncut Japanese-language version of Ishiro Honda's GOJIRA (1954), critically acclaimed as a bold anti-nuclear allegory and one of the greatest monster movies of all time. Also included is GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS (1956), the popular "Americanized" version starring Raymond Burr as a reporter covering Godzilla's rampage.

Journey to the Centre of the Earth
UPC 9-345228-001424 | United States 1959 | 129 minutes | Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Shock Entertainment, Hollywood Classics

The accent is on fun and fantasy in this film version of Jules Verne's classic thriller that stars James Mason, Pat Boone, and Arlene Dahl. With spectacular visuals as a backdrop, the story centres on an expedition led by Professor Lindenbrook (Mason) down into the earth's dark, threat-laden core. Members of the group include the professor's star student, Alec (Boone), and the widow (Dahl) of a colleague. Along the way lurk dangers such as kidnapping, death, sabotage by a rival explorer, and attacks by giant prehistoric reptiles. But they also encounter such magnificent wonders as a glistening cavern of quartz crystals, luminescent algae, a forest of giant mushrooms, and the lost city of Atlantis. Remaining faithful to Verne's story, this is a sweeping adventure that offers enough thrills and entertainment to satisfy every explorer in the family.

Star Wars IV: A New Hope
UPC Disc ID: 8562-C805-C22B-BC91 | United States 1977 | 125 minutes | Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

The Jedi Knights have been exterminated and the Empire rules the galaxy with an iron fist. A small group of Rebels have dared to fight back by stealing the secret plans to the Empire's mightiest weapon, the Death Star battle station. The Emperor's most trusted servant, Darth Vader, must find the plans, and locate the hidden Rebel base. Princess Leia, a captive Rebel leader, sends out a distress signal that is intercepted by a simple farm boy, Luke Skywalker. Seizing his destiny, Luke takes up the challenge to rescue the princess and help the Rebellion overthrow the Empire, along with such unforgettable allies as the wise Obi-Wan Kenobi, the cocky Han Solo, the loyal Chewbacca, and the droids R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Back to the Future I
UPC Disc ID: FD7F-9B92-A474-0613 | United States 1985 | 116 minutes | Universal Pictures

Michael J. Fox stars as Marty McFly, a typical American teenager of the Eighties accidentally sent back to 1955 in a plutonium-powered DeLorean "time machine" invented by slightly mad scientist Christopher Lloyd.

During his often hysterical, always amazing trip back in time, Marty must make certain his teenage parents-to-be, Crispin Glover and Lea Thompson, meet and fall in love - so he can get back to the future.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:03:38 AM »
Horror:

Well, I must say that this was the hardest one so far. First of all I eliminated Comedy/Horror (i.e. Tremors, Fearless Vampire Killers, Little Shop of Horrors [1986], etc.)
That took me down to 20 possible. Eliminating half of those was really, really tough. There were several Hammer horrors that I reluctantly had to let go.  But this is what I ended up with (again, in no particular order):

Psycho
UPC 025192-025129 | United States 1960 | 108 minutes | Universal Home Video

Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece of the macabre stars Anthony Perkins as the troubled Norman Bates, whose "old dark house" and adjoining motel are not the place to spend a quiet evening. No one knows that better than Janet Leigh, the film's ill-fated heroine who is victimized in the now-notorious "shower scene." Vera Miles, Martin Balsam, John Gavin and John McIntire co-star in Hitchcock's most compelling and terrifying film. Screenplay by Joseph Stefano.

Eyes Without a Face
UPC 037429-195727 | France 1960 | 90 minutes | The Criterion Collection

Secluded in the French countryside, a brilliant, obsessive doctor attempts a radical plastic surgery that could restore the beauty of his daughter's disfigured face - but at a horrifying price. At once ghastly and lyrical, Eyes Without a Face  is a true rarity of horror cinema and has influenced countless other films. The Criterion Collection is proud to present Georges Franju’s classic in a long-awaited, fully restored DVD edition.

The Hidden
UPC 5-017239-194603 | United States 1987 | 93 minutes | Entertainment in Video

Something hideous is changing law-abiding citizens into monstrous, hyper-violent psychopaths. Now, only Kyle MacLachlan (Showgirls, Twin Peaks) and Michael Nouri (Flashdance) can halt the horrifying rampage of THE HIDDEN!

A series of bizarre, inexplicable robberies and murders have L.A. police detective, Tom Beck (Nouri) totally baffled. And it doesn't help when mysterious FBI agent, Lloyd Gallagher (MacLachlan) tells him that a demonic extraterrestrial creature is invading the bodies of innocent victims - and transforming them into inhuman killers with an unearthly fondness for heavy-metal music, red Ferraris and unspeakable violence. It's a spine-chilling, high-velocity sci-fi thriller from the makers of A Nightmare on Elm Street!

The Fly (1958)
UPC 5-039036-061902 | United States 1958 | 93 minutes | Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

When a scientist (David [Al] Hedison) attempts to transfer matter through space, things go horrifically wrong and two grotesque man-fly hybrids are created. Now, with the head of a fly and a wing in place of one of his arms, the scientist desperately hopes that he, his wife (Patricia Owens) and his brother (Vincent Price) can capture the other mutant and reverse the experiment.

The Curse of Frankenstein
UPC 5-060223-768168 | United Kingdom 1957 | 83 minutes | Lionsgate Home Entertainment, Icon Home Entertainment

Classic 1957 horror film by Hammer Film Productions, based on the novel Frankenstein (1816) by Mary Shelley. This was Hammer's first colour horror film and the first of their Frankenstein series, establishing "Hammer Horror" as a distinctive and uniquely British brand of Gothic cinema. The film is directed by Terence Fisher with cinematography by Jack Asher and stars Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in two of their most iconic roles for Hammer.

Available for the very first time in High Definition, The Curse of Frankenstein is presented in the original Academy ratio of 1.37:1 and includes the censored "eyeball" scene, now restored in all its glory. As well as an alternate version of the feature at the widescreen ratio of 1.66:1, the release also includes brand-new documentaries and commentary track, multiple bonus extras and a gallery.

Dracula
UPC 5-060223-769196 | United Kingdom 1958 | 82 minutes | Lions Gate Home Entertainment, Icon Home Entertainment

The 1958 classic from Hammer Film Productions, Dracula is the first of Hammer's series of films inspired by Bram Stoker's novel.  This is the most complete version of Dracula ever released in the UK and contains the 2007 BFI restoration plus the 2012 Hammer restoration, which adds additional footage that has been unavailable for decades.
The additional footage comprises two of the scenes originally censored by the BBFC that have now been restored to the film from the 'Japanese reels': Dracula's seduction of Mina and the vampire count's sunlight disintegration.  Both versions are presented in the original aspect ratio of 1.66:1, which has never been available for home viewing, and the feature is accompanied by a wealth of brand new extras.

The Blob
UPC 715515-011129 | United States 1958 | 83 minutes | The Criterion Collection

"BEWARE OF THE BLOB!" One of the great cult classics, THE BLOB melds '50s schlock sci-fi and teen delinquency pics even as it transcends these genres with strong performances and ingenious special effects. Made outside of Hollywood by a maverick film distributor, a crew experienced in religious and educational shorts, and a collection of theatrical talent from Philadelphia and New York, THE BLOB helped launch the careers of superstud Steve McQueen and composer Burt Bacharach.

Island of Lost Souls
UPC 715515-088015 | United States 1932 | 71 minutes | The Criterion Collection, Universal City Studios

A twisted treasure from Hollywood’s pre-Code horror heyday, Island of Lost Souls is a cautionary tale of science run amok, adapted from H. G. Wells’s novel The Island of Dr. Moreau. In one of his first major movie roles, Charles Laughton is a mad doctor conducting ghastly genetic experiments on a remote island in the South Seas, much to the fear and disgust of the shipwrecked sailor (Richard Arlen) who finds himself trapped there. This touchstone of movie terror, directed by Erle C. Kenton, features expressionistic photography by Karl Struss, groundbreaking makeup effects that inspired generations of monster-movie artists, and the legendary Bela Lugosi in one his most gruesome roles.

Suspiria
UPC 827058-201391 | Italy 1977 | 98 minutes | Blue Underground

Jessica Harper (PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE) stars as Suzy Banyon, a young American ballet dancer who arrives at a prestigious European dance academy run by the mysterious Madame Blanc (Joan Bennett of DARK SHADOWS) and Miss Tanner (Alida Valli of KILLER NUN). But when a series of bizarre incidents and horrific crimes (including what Entertainment Weekly calls “the most vicious murder scene ever filmed”) turn the school into a walking nightmare of the damned, Suzy must escape the academy’s unspeakable secret of supernatural evil.

Experience the most shocking and hallucinatory horror movie in history as you’ve never seen or heard it before, now featuring the fully remastered landmark score by Goblin and a heart-stopping new film transfer supervised by cinematographer Luciano Tovoli. This is the definitive version of Dario Argento’s SUSPIRIA, an aria of terror beyond imagination and one of the most extraordinary horror films ever made.

House of Wax
UPC 883929-350964 | United States 1953 | 88 minutes | Warner Home Video

Warner Bros. proudly presents the most successful 3D movie of the 1950s – now, for the first time, in Blu-ray 3D™! Screen legend Vincent Price stars as Henry Jarrod, an intense master sculptor wo thinks of his wax creations as his "children." Terribly disfigured in a fire set by a greedy business partner, Jarrod schemes to rebuild the museum as a macabre chamber of horrors filled with lurid figures that eerily resemble those of murder victims stolen from the local morgue. This horror classic comes complete with bonus features – including how director Andre de Toth was able to produce this 3D masterpiece with just one eye and no depth perception.

Offline surfeur51

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 02:38:16 PM »
That took me down to 20 possible. Eliminating half of those was really, really tough.

Well, this is the case for most of themes I already posted. To choose 10 movies among many possibles is always difficult, and the ten of today may not be the ten of tomorrow, depending of the mood when I establish the list.  :hmmmm:

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »
Well, this is the case for most of themes I already posted. To choose 10 movies among many possibles is always difficult, and the ten of today may not be the ten of tomorrow, depending of the mood when I establish the list.  :hmmmm:
Yeah, you're right about that. But in my case I had enough 5 and 4 1/2 star reviews in Profiler to make it relatively easy for Fantasy and Science Fiction. But for Horror I had one 4 1/2 and a whole lot of 4 star reviews, which made it a lot harder. I'm just not really a list guy.  :-\

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 05:24:27 AM »
I really liked House of Wax and Island of Lost Souls

Suspiria is on my watchlist for this year.  I've heard so much good about it; I have high hopes.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 08:13:47 PM »
Musicals:

I'm not listing titles that I already listed under Fantasy, e.g. Mary Poppins and Wizard of Oz (that I now notice I accidentally listed twice under Fantasy).

Moulin Rouge
UPC 024543-008705 | United States 2001 | 128 minutes | Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

Venture behind the red velvet curtain and witness a spectacle beyond the imagination. Enter a fantastic world where nothing is forbidden and everything is possible – The world of Moulin Rouge!

South Pacific
UPC 024543-541660 | United States 1958 | 172 minutes | Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

When a young American nurse from Little Rock (Mitzi Gaynor) meets the handsome and mysterious French planter (Rossano Brazzi) on a South Pacific island during World War II, they find refuge from the battles around them as their romance blooms, in this finely crafted, Oscar®-Winning musical.*

* 1958: Sound (won), Music (Scoring of a Musical Picture), Cinematography (Color)

Grease
UPC 097361-557465 | United States 1978 | 110 minutes |

'Grease' is definitely the word! John Travolta became the world's box office king with his unforgettable performance as Danny Zuko in this film version of the smash hit Broadway musical about the fabulous '50s. Olivia Newton-John rocketed to stardom in her American film debut as the adorable and sexy Sandy who's determined to win Zuko's heart.

The Sound of Music
UPC 5-039036-045599 | United States 1965 | 175 minutes | Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

A timeless cinematic treasure soars to new heights in this 45th Anniversary Edition. Digitally remastered for spectacular sound and pristine picture quality, you've never seen, or heard, THE SOUND OF MUSIC like this before!

Julie Andrews lights up the screen as Maria, a spirited young woman who leaves the convent to bring love and music to the home of Captain von Trapp (Christopher Plummer) and his seven children.

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds: Live on Stage!
UPC 5-050582-456738 | United Kingdom 2006 | 110 minutes | Universal Pictures

Filmed at Wembley Arena on 25th April, 2006, The War of the Worlds Live is a spectacular mix of live music, theatre, multi-media and visual arts on a grand scale. It combines the brilliance of the original performers including Jeff Wayne, Justin Hayward, Chris Thompson and even the late Richard Burton ('In Sight and Sound') along with a brand new cast, the 10-piece Black Smoke Band, the 48-piece ULLAdubULLA Strings and an unforgettable fully operating 30ft Martian Fighting Machine!

Mamma Mia!: The Movie
UPC 5-050582-583441 | United States 2008 | 108 minutes | Universal Pictures (Nordic) AB

Mamma Mia! - en magisk filmupplevelse!
Denna glädjefyllda film bjuder på ABBA-låtar, ett överflöd av sång och dansnummer och en stjärnspäckad rollista.
Filmen bygger på succémusikalen med samma namn där den blivande bruden Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) är på jakt efter sin pappa inför den stora dagen. Det är bara ett problem ?hon vet inte vem han är. Men efter att ha tjuvläst sin mammas (Meryl Streep) dagböcker, kommer hon fram till att han är någon av hennes tre gamla pojkvänner. Hon bjuder in dem alla tre, även om hon vet att hennes mamma inte kommer att bli glad...
Sophie försöker desperat att hemlighålla deras närvaro, men det dröjer inte länge förrän hemligheten avslöjas och det roliga börjar!

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall
UPC 5-050582-860122 | United Kingdom 2011 | 160 minutes | Universal Pictures

In celebration of the 25th Anniversary of Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera, Cameron Mackintosh produced a unique, spectacular staging of the musical on a scale which had never been seen before. Inspired by the original staging by  ince and Gillian Lynne, this lavish, fully-staged production set in the sumptuous Victorian splenour of London's legendary Royal Albert Hall features a cast and orchestra of over 200, plus some very special guest appearances.

White Christmas
UPC 5-051368-223032 | United States 1954 | 120 minutes | Paramount Home Entertainment

White Christmas is a treasury of IRVING BERLIN classics, among them “Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep,” “Sisters,” “Mandy,” and the beloved holiday song, “White Christmas.” In this incredible Blu-ray debut, you will find the timeless musical, plus new features that include backstage stories, a look at the actors and more!

Two talented song-and-dance men (BING CROSBY and DANNY KAYE) team up after the war to become one of the hottest acts in show business. One winter, they join forces with a sister act (ROSEMARY CLOONEY and VERA-ELLEN) and trek to Vermont for a white Christmas. Of course, there's the requisite fun with the ladies, but the real adventure starts when Crosby & Kaye discover that the inn is run by their old army general who's now in financial trouble. And the result is the stuff dreams are made of.

Calamity Jane
UPC 7-321900-222921 | United States 1953 | 97 minutes | Warner Home Video

Doris Day and Howard Keel fuss, feud and fall in love as Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickok in this entertainment mother lode.

At first curvaceous Calamity is too durned busy fighting indians and cracking a bullwhip to pay mind to such girlie what-alls as dresses and perfume.  And Wild Bill is too danged busy wooing a dainty chanteuse to give a hoot about a hot-headed tomboy.  But things change in a rootin' tootin' big way when each becomes love's target.  There are wide-open Technicolor Western spaces, lots of high-stepping dances and a hummable humdinger of a score by Academy Award winning songwriters Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster, who took their first Oscar for the lassic ballad (and 50's megahit) Secret Love.

Brigadoon
UPC 7-321900-672399 | United States 1954 | 104 minutes | Warner Home Video, Turner Entertainment

Look on a map and you won't find it. Look in your heart and there it will be. Enchantment is a place - and a movie - called Brigadoon when Gene Kelly stars in and choreographs a lyrical film adaptation of the 1947 Broadway musical by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe (My Fair Lady, Camelot).

Vincente Minnelli directs this otherworldly tale of vacationing New Yorkers (Kelly and Van Johnson) who discover a Scottish village that comes to live once every 100 years for one day only. There, Kelly and a town lass (Cyd Charisse) share the love of a lifetime - one seemingly allotted just 24 hours. But fear not, there's magic and timeless songs hereabouts: Almost Like Being in Love, The Heather on the Hill and more!

Offline surfeur51

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 09:42:55 PM »
I'm also preparing a musical list. In common, we'll have "Moulin Rouge" and "Sound of Music". Probably I'll put Moulin Rouge only in second place behind "West Side Story", but it is clearly one of my favourites, with my favourite actress in probably her best role. In my list I'll also have "The Phantom of the Opera", but the 2004 movie.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 12:04:37 AM »
I'm using my Profiler ratings to select my favorites. I have seen West Side Story in the cinema a long time ago, but the blu-ray is in my unwatched pile. A rather recent addition. It may well take a top ten place when I have watched it.

I liked the 2004 Phantom as well, but I found this version even better.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »
Comedy:

Again not listing titles listed under other categories.

Some Like it Hot
UPC 027616-858993 | United States 1959 | 121 minutes | MGM Home Entertainment

When Chicago musicians Joe (Tony Curtis) and Jerry (Jack Lemmon) accidentally witness a gangland shooting, they quickly board a southbound train to Florida, disguised as Josephine and Daphne, the two newest — and homeliest — members of an all-girl jazz band. Their cover is perfect...until the lovelorn singer (Marilyn Monroe) falls for "Josephine", an ancient playboy (Joe E. Brown) falls for "Daphne", and a mob boss (George Raft) refuses to fall for their hoax!

Nominated for 7 Academy Awards®,* Some Like It Hot is the quintessential madcap farce and "one of the greatest of all film comedies" (The Motion Picture Guide).

*1959: Director, Actor (Lemmon), Screenplay (based on material from another medium), Cinematography (B&W), Art Direction - Set Direction (B&W), Costume Design (B&W) [Winner]

M. Hulot's Holiday
UPC 037429-155721 | France 1953 | 87 minutes | The Criterion Collection

Pipe-smoking Monsieur Hulot, Jacques Tati's endearing clown, takes a holiday at a seaside resort where his presence provokes one catastrophe after another. Tati's wildly funny satire of vacationers determined to enjoy themselves includes a series of precisely choreographed sight gags involving dogs, boats, and firecrackers. The first entry in the Hulot series is a masterpiece of gentle slapstick.

Le Magnifique
UPC 3-339161-274843 | France 1973 | 97 minutes |

Devant sa machine à écrire, François Merlin laisse déborder son imagination...Au Mexique, un agent secret téléphone d'une cabine publique quand une grue l'emporte et le jette dans l'océan où il sert de pâture aux requins. Tel est le début de la nouvelle aventure de Bob Saint-Clair, héros du romancier François Merlin... Jean-Paul Belmondo joue les 007 amateurs et se prend les pieds dans le tapis dans cette comédie loufoque...

The Court Jester
UPC 5-014437-921239 | United States 1956 | 97 minutes | Paramount Home Entertainment

In this swashbuckling comic farce, star Danny Kaye plays kind-hearted entertainer Hawkins who disguises himself as the legendary king of jesters, Giacomo. Hawkins infiltrates the court of the evil villain Basil Rathbone, but when a sorceress hypnotises him, royal chaos ensues. Giacomo now believes he is also an infamous assassin, and alternates between his identities at the snap of a finger. Between swordplay and wordplay, Danny Kaye displays his fancy footwork... and his comic genius. With a stellar supporting cast, including Glynis Johns, Angela Lansbury and Mildred Natwick, Kaye sings and dances among dueling knights and damsels in distress. Through it all, this jester proves he's one of the original kings of comedy.

Young Frankenstein
UPC 5-039036-003872 | United States 1974 | 105 minutes | Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

Mel Brooks' monstrously crazy tribute to Mary Shelley's classic pokes hilarious fun at just about every Frankenstein movie ever made. Summoned by a will to his late grandfather's castle in Transylvania, young Dr. Frankenstein (GENE WILDER) soon discovers the scientist's step-by-step manual explaining how to bring a corpse to life. Assisted by the hunchback Igor (MARTY FELDMAN) and the curvaceous Inga (TERI GARR) he creates a monster (PETER BOYLE) who only wants to be loved. CLORIS LEACHMAN, MADELINE KAHN, KENNETH MARS, and GENE HACKMAN co-star in this inspired vision of lunacy.

The Apartment
UPC 5-050070-005417 | United States 1960 | 120 minutes | MGM Home Entertainment

Winner of five 1960 Academy Awards®* including Best Picture, The Apartment is legendary writer/director Billy Wilder at his scathing, satirical best, and one of the finest comedies Hollywood has turned out.

C.C. "Bud" Baxter (Jack Lemmon) knows the way to success in business...it's through the door of his apartment! By providing a perfect hideaway for philandering bosses, the ambitious young employee reaps a series of undeserved promotions. But when Bud lends the key to big boss J.D. Sheldrake (Fred MacMurray), he not only advances his career, but his own love life as well. For Sheldrake's mistress is the lovely Fran Kubelik (Shirley MacLaine), elevator girl and angel of Bud's dreams. Convinced that he is the only man for Fran, Bud must make the most important executive decision of his career: lose the girl...or his job.

*1960: Director, Story and Screenplay (written directly for the screen), Editing, Art Direction/Set Decoration

Help!
UPC 5-099951-034795 | United Kingdom 1965 | 92 minutes | EMI Records, Capitol Records

Directed by Richard Lester, who also directed the band's debut feature film 'A Hard Day's Night', 'Help!' made its theatrical debut in 1965. The story follows The Beatles as they become passive recipients of an outside plot that revolves around Ringo's possession of a sacrificial ring, which he cannot remove from his finger. As a result, he and his bandmates John, Paul and George are chased from London to the Austrian Alps and the Bahamas by religious cult members, a mad scientist and the London police. In addition to starring the Beatles, 'Help!' has a witty script, a great cast of British character actors and features 7 classic Beatles tracks.

Safety Last!
UPC 715515-106511 | United States 1923 | 74 minutes | The Criterion Collection, Harold Lloyd Entertainment, Pathé Exchange

The comic genius of silent star Harold Lloyd is eternal. Chaplin was the sweet innocent, Keaton the stoic outsider, but Lloyd—the modern guy striving for success—is us. And with its torrent of perfectly executed gags and astonishing stunts, Safety Last! is the perfect introduction to him. Lloyd plays a small-town bumpkin trying to make it in the big city, who finds employment as a lowly department-store clerk. He comes up with a wild publicity stunt to draw attention to the store, resulting in an incredible feat of derring-do on his part that gets him started on the climb to success. Laugh-out-loud funny and jaw-dropping in equal measure, Safety Last! is a movie experience par excellence, anchored by a genuine legend.

The Great Dictator
UPC 7-321900-376501 | United States 1940 | 120 minutes | Warner Home Video, MK2 Éditions

Come heil or high water, Charles Chaplin is in the fight! And the result is a celebrated classic honoured in 2000 as one of the American Film Institute's Top-100 American Comedies.

The U.S. was not yet in World War II when Chaplin levelled his comedy arsenal at Der Führer by playing the dual roles of Hitler-like Adenoid Hynkel and a Jewish barber who is a dead-ringer look-alike for der Nutsie. Puns, sight gags and slapstick abound as Chaplin skewers fascism, balancing his attack with poignant scenes of a ghetto in the clutches of storm-trooping terror. Immortal bits include Hynkel's besotted dance with a globe, the upside-down flight and Hynkel and a Mussolini-like Jack Oakie madly cranking their barber chairs higher and higher. Great comedy meets great filmmaking passion in The Great Dictator.

Wallace & Gromit: The Complete Collection
UPC 884487-104419 | United Kingdom 1989 | 116 minutes | Hit Entertainment, Lionsgate

Millions of fans agree – no one makes animated mayhem like crackpot inventor Wallace and his faithful dog, Gromit. Join the Oscar®-winning* sensations for four madcap adventures in their cheesiest, breeziest and funniest collection yet!

Hang on for an out-of-this-world ride as Wallace's mad craving for cheese leads to a space rocket adventure in A Grand Day Out. In The Wrong Trousers, Gromit smells something fishy after a penguin moves in and plots to make off with Wallace's Techno-Trousers. Then it's time for A Close Shave as Wallace & Gromit™ get wrapped up in a sheep-rustling scheme. Finally, trouble rises after Wallace & Gromit start a bread- baking business and are ensnared in a murder mystery that becomes...A Matter of Loaf and Death!

*1993, Best Short Film (Animated), The Wrong Trousers; 1995, Best Short Film (Animated), A Close Shave.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 02:39:54 PM »
Favorite French movies:

This one is for Yves. Let me know what you think!
I had a real hard time to narrow it down to 10 movies. I didn't quite realize how many great French movies I had.  :-[

For some reason my old layout no longer works, so I'm going with a very simple layout here. In no particular order.

Wages of Fear
  Rififi
  M. Hulot's Holiday
  Beauty and the Beast
  Eyes Without a Face
  Léon: The Professional
  Day for Night
  Le Magnifique
  The Artist
  Le Cercle Rouge

Offline surfeur51

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 07:34:04 AM »
Nice list, with only great movies. I have already listed some of them in my different lists, the only I do not appreciate very much is Tati's one, just a matter of taste.

"The Magnifique" is also a very good movie, but not my preferred with Belmondo, the choice being really vast. I'll probably build a list with his movies, and "The Magnifique" will be there but probably not in first place.

You also do not list "modern" movies, except "The Artist", (and I understand why  ;) ). I already noted that you prefer older ones, but there are really very good movies post 2000...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:08:25 AM by surfeur51 »

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 08:31:38 AM »
Thanks Yves, I'll have to see if there is an English friendly release of The Marginal.

Another of my favorite Belmondo movies is That Man from Rio. I really liked the pink car with green stars.