Author Topic: Horror/Halloween 2016 Challenge  (Read 53372 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Horror/Halloween 2016 Challenge
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2016, 02:49:09 PM »

The Fall of the House of Usher
Year of Release: 1960
Directed By: Roger Corman
Starring: Vincent Price, Mark Damon, Myrna Fahey, Harry Ellerbe
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Legendary scare-master Vincent Price serves up a diabolical nightmare dripping with "brooding evil and sinister suspense" (Film Daily)! Based on Edgar Allen Poe's chilling tale about a family driven to savage bloodlust by a power beyond their wildest fears, this terrifying story of "murder, madness and necrophilia" (Cue) proves that there's no place like home...for horror! Convinced that his family's blood is tainted by generations of evil, Roderick Usher (Price) is hell-bent on destroying his sister Madeline's wedding. But when Madeline's fiancé arrives at the haunted castle to claim his lovely bride, he soon discovers that, for this family, their house is more than just a home...it's their TOMB!

My Thoughts:
I love Vincent Price. Love, love, love him. He's, like, one of my all-time favorites. This, also, has to be in my top 5 movies of his. He's a wonderful actor, and he does a wonderful job here as the melancholy, mad Roderick Usher. His supporting players do a fine job as well. Yes, it's a slow moving film, but once it gets started it only builds to crescendo.

Corman's staff all do a great job here too. The sets and costumes look terrific, and Price's makeup lends him an entirely different look than one is used to seeing for him. The house has a truly eerie feel, and is really the fifth character of the film. If I would have one criticism, it's that I would have liked more of a focus on Price's doomed Roderick, and less on Mark Damon's hero. That could just be my Price fangirl talking.

Watched For: Scavenger Hunt 19, Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 4/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 8/52
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2016, 07:42:33 PM »
    The Fall of the House of Usher (1960/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Shout! Factory (United States)
Director:Roger Corman
Writing:Richard Matheson (Screenwriter), Edgar Allan Poe (Original Material By)
Length:82 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Vincent Price (1911) as Roderick Usher
Mark Damon as Philip Winthrop
Myrna Fahey as Madeline Usher
Harry Ellerbe as Bristol

Plot:
Legendary scare-master Vincent Price serves up a diabolical nightmare dripping with "brooding evil and sinister suspense" (Film Daily)! Based on Edgar Allen Poe's chilling tale about a family driven to savage bloodlust by a power beyond their wildest fears, this terrifying story of "murder, madness and necrophilia" (Cue) proves that there's no place like home...for horror! Convinced that his family's blood is tainted by generations of evil, Roderick Usher (Price) is hell-bent on destroying his sister Madeline's wedding. But when Madeline's fiancé arrives at the haunted castle to claim his lovely bride, he soon discovers that, for this family, their house is more than just a home...it's their TOMB!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Introduction by Vincent Price

My Thoughts:

While I am a fan of the late, great Vincent Price... I can't say this one is a favorite of mine. Not that it is a bad movie by any means. I did enjoy it. I just found that about the first half of the film was just too slow for my taste and I found my attention wandering. But in the second half of the film it picked up. And it picked up good. It is definitely worth watching... just expect a slow start on this one.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 10/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 08:24:37 PM »
    The Amityville Horror (1979/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Stuart Rosenberg
Writing:Sandor Stern (Screenwriter), Jay Anson (Original Material By)
Length:119 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Korean, Spanish

Stars:
James Brolin as George Lutz
Margot Kidder as Kathy Lutz
Rod Steiger as Father Delaney
Don Stroud as Father Bolen
Murray Hamilton as Father Ryan

Plot:
For George and Kathy Lutz (James Brolin and Margot Kidder), the Long Island colonial house on the river's edge seemed ideal...but looks can be deceiving. Soon their new dream home becomes a hellish nightmare as the walls begin to drip blood and satanic forces haunt them with sheer, unbridled evil!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is one of the ghost stories that made me love the ghost/Hauntings sub-genre so much. I was still just a kid when I first watched this movie... and for the longest time was my favorite ghost story. I have watched this movie many times since then... and it still entertains me to the day. I feel the atmosphere is well done. I like the old school effects in it as well. Both Margot Kidder and James Brolin did a fine job. This is one worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 11/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 02:26:13 AM »
     Interview With the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Neil Jordan
Writing:Anne Rice (Screenwriter), Anne Rice (Original Material By)
Length:123 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Brad Pitt as Louis
Christian Slater as Malloy
Virginia McCollam as Whore on Waterfront
John McConnell as Gambler
Tom Cruise as Lestat

Plot:
The undead are among us and livelier than ever when Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and a talented group of youngbloods star in this spellbinding screen adaptation of Anne Rice's bestseller.

Cruise stylishly plays the supremely evil and charismatic vampire Lestat. Pitt is Louis, lured by Lestat into the immortality of the damned. Stephen Rea, Antonio Banderas, Christian Slater and Kirsten Dunst co-star. Hypnotically directed by Neil Jordan from a screenplay by Rice, Interview with the Vampire offers enough thrills, shocks and fiendish fun to last a lifetime - and beyond.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Introduction by Anne Rice, Neil Jordon and Antonio Banderas

My Thoughts:

It has been a while since I saw this one... but it is one I have always enjoyed. I personally find this one more interesting then I do horrific. It gives you a view into vampirism from the vampire's point of view. A very interesting take indeed. The 2 hours it lasted just flew by as I watched... definitely a sign of a good movie. If by any chance you never seen this one before... I highly recommend it!

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 12/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »
    Campfire Tales (1996/United States)
New Line Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:David Semel, Martin Kunert, Matt Cooper
Writing:Martin Kunert (Screenwriter), Eric Manes (Screenwriter), Matt Cooper (Screenwriter), Martin Kunert (Story By), Eric Manes (Story By)
Length:87 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
James Marsden as Eddie
Amy Smart as Jenny
Rick Lawrence as Rockin' Rob

Plot:
Horror takes a detour deep into the woods in this terrifying cross between Scream and Tales From The Crypt, starring Christine Taylor (Dodgeball) and Ron Livingston (Office Space).

Returning home from a concert and driving recklessly, four teenagers crash their car on a deserted road. To ward off the cold, they build a fire and wait for help. But the hair-raising stories they tell around the fire put a deeper chill into the night. Each tale is more lurid, more horrifying, more shocking than anything they've heard before. Yet for these unlucky teens in the woods, the biggest shock is still to come...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is an Anthology Horror that I always enjoyed a lot! Sure... it is very predictable... especially if you know the urban legends they are based on. Which most are pretty well known. There is a very short opening story Which admittedly is not that great.

Next we get to the wraparound story... which I love. Best one I ever seen on any of this type of movie. the wraparound story is well done and has great atmosphere of it's own.

Then we finally get to the first of the 3 actual stories. Which is a pretty good one. There is a newlywed couple that are driving around in a camper... and they get lost and stranded in the back streets somewhere. Has likable characters and pretty good atmosphere. I liked how they handled the things in the dark... as you never get a good look at them. Though it was on the predictable side as it is based of a well known urban legend.

The second story has a young girl with an intruder in the house. Also off a well known urban legend so you know what to expect. I know what you are thinking... why watch something that you know how the stories are going to end. And I would normally agree with you... but these are done so well you don't mind the fact that you know where the stories are going... you just enjoy the journey of getting there.

The last story is my favorite of them all. A guy on a motorcycle (Glenn Quinn of Roseanne fame) stumbles onto a house where a beautiful mute girl lives... and it seems she lives in a haunted house. This is the one of the 3 stories that I do not recognize from an urban legend.

From here we find out the end of the wraparound story... which is also done well.

I find this to be a great movie over-all even if it is predictable. Definitely one I would recommend to any horror fan.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 13/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 03:48:12 PM »
     Carnival of Souls: The Criterion Collection (1962/United States)
The Criterion Collection (United States)
Director:Herk Harvey
Writing:John Clifford (Writer)
Length:83 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Candace Hilligoss as Mary Henry
Frances Feist as Mrs. Thomas
Sidney Berger as John Linden
Art Ellison as Minister
Stan Levitt as Dr. Samuels

Plot:
Herk Harvey's macabre masterpiece gained a cult following through late night television and has been bootlegged for years. Made by industrial filmmakers on a modest budget, Carnival of Souls was intended to have the "look of a Bergman" and "feel of a Cocteau," and succeeds with its strikingly used locations and spooky organ score. Mary Henry (Candace Hilligoss) survives a drag race in a rural Kansas town, then takes a job as a church organist in Salt Lake City. En route, she becomes haunted by a bizarre apparition that compels her to an abandoned lakeside pavilion. Criterion is proud to present the ultimate special edition of this eerily effective B-movie classic that continues to inspire filmmakers today.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

This is one I have seen a few times before... and always enjoyed. Though I have always had a tough time figuring out what it is about this movie I like so much. It does have a pretty good atmosphere. And has a bit of a mysterious feel to it as well. It didn't occur to me until this viewing... but it reminds me of the TV series The Twilight Zone. This one is definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 14/52
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 05:18:40 PM »

House of Wax
Year of Release: 1953
Directed By: André De Toth
Starring: Vincent Price, Frank Lovejoy, Phyllis Kirk, Carolyn Jones, Paul Picerni

Overview:
In the wicked performance that crowned him the movie's master of the macabre, Vincent Price plays a renowned wax sculptor plunged into madness when an arsonist destroys his life's work. Unable to use his flame-scarred hands, he devises a new – and murderous – way of restocking his House of Wax.

The sweet dread and sheer fun of this creepy classic, co-starring Phyllis Kirk, Carolyn Jones and Charles Bronson and directed by André De Toth, had its roots in a Warner Bros. chiller from 20 years before: Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933), starring Lionel Atwill as the wax-wielding madman and Fay Wray as a potential victim. Directed by Michael Curtiz and shot in a chillingly effective early two-color Technicolor process, it and its spooky remake offer you a delicious double-dip in a paraffin bath of terror.

My Thoughts:
I've mentioned before how much I love Vincent Price, and this is a gem from him. He gives a marvelous performance as the gentle, sensitive artist driven mad by the greed of his partner. It's a truly heart-wrenching scene when he tries, vainly, to save the wax sculptures he's imbued with so much of his life. Sculptures he sees as beings with spirit, that speak to him, that are his friends. If you see the horror of his actions afterward, he is also very sympathetic. It's not hard to see why he was driven to the depths of madness he descends to.

The rest of the film is pretty good too. If some of the parts that were put in solely to take advantage of the 3D technology look a bit hokey in 2D (the can-can dancers, the paddle ball scene) I bet they'd be a lot of fun if I had the right disc & equipment to actually watch this the way it was meant to be seen. While I do wish it didn't break the 4th wall in the paddle-ball scene, because it throws you out of the atmosphere of the film; House of Wax holds up well even in 2D as a good film, largely due to Price's superb performance. Recommended for fans of old school horror and highly recommended for fans of Vincent Price.

Bechdel Test: Pass

Overall: 3.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 9/52
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 05:45:13 PM »

The Mummy
Year of Release: 1932
Directed By: Karl Freund
Starring: Boris Karloff, Zita Johann, David Manners, Arthur Byron, Edward Van Sloan

Overview:
The Mummy features horror icon Boris Karloff in a legendary performance as the Egyptian, Imhotep, who is accidentally revived by a team of archaeologists after 3.700 years. It is revealed in a flashback that he was a high priest, embalmed alive for trying to revive the vestal virgin whom he loved, after she had been sacrificed. Alive again, he sets out on an obsessive - and deadly - quest to find his lost love. Featuring groundbreaking makeup by Jack Pierce and artful direction by Karl Freud to achieve a mysterious atmosphere, this terrifying classic inspired countless sequels, spoofs and spin-offs that continue to fuel the legacy of the monster to this day.

My Thoughts:
Second watch, and I still really enjoy this film.  Karloff is still wonderful in his performance as the tortured romantic willing to go to any length to be reunited with his lover, and the direction and subtle horror of the film is still top notch.

I was struck, as I was watching today, with the question of who decides who should live and who should die.  Imhotep is the villain because he wishes Ankh-es-en-amon to live at the expense of Helen.  But does that line of reasoning also not make Frank and Dr. Muller equally villainous, for they wish Helen to live - therefore at the expense of Ankh-es-en-amon...

Overall: 3.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 10/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »

Vampyres
Year of Release: 1974
Directed By: Joseph Larraz
Starring: Marianne Morris, Anulka, Murray Brown, Brian Deacon, Sally Faulkner

Overview:
"They share the pleasures of the flesh, and unleashed the horrors of the grave!" screamed the ads. The beautiful Marianne Morris and stunning Playboy centerfold Anulka star as bisexual seductresses who roam the English countryside with an insatiable lust for the blood of mortals as well as the succulent bodies of each other. Director José Ramón Larraz packs this landmark adult hit with chilling atmosphere, shocking bloodshed and some of the most torrid sexuality of any vampire movie in horror history.

Also known as DAUGHTERS OF DRACULA, this controversial cult classic was butchered repeatedly by censors around the world. Blue Underground is proud to present VAMPYRES in a stunning new High Definition transfer that restores all of the controversial gore footage missing from other versions!

My Thoughts:
This is another film with a lovely, creepy atmosphere - a gothic manor with adjoining cemetery, isolated in the woods, inhabited by two beautiful women dressed in black.  There's copious amounts of nudity, punctuated by moments of shockingly bloody violence, sometimes together.  I'd say if you like Jean Rollin or Jess Franco, this is a film I'd recommend, or alternately consider looking to them if you enjoyed Vampyres.

Bechdel Test: Pass
Mako Mori Test: Pass

Overall: 3.25/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 11/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2016, 06:30:30 PM »

The Call of Cthulhu
Year of Release: 2005
Directed By: Andrew Leman
Starring: Matt Foyer, John Bolen, Ralph Lucas, Chad Fifer

I've reviewed this film before - read here.  I can't say any of my thoughts on the film have changed.

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 12/52

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »
     Werewolf: The Beast Among Us (2012/United States)
Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Louis Morneau
Writing:Michael Tabb (Screenwriter), Catherine Cyran (Screenwriter), Michael Tabb (Story By)
Length:93 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Ed Quinn as Charles
Guy Wilson as Daniel
Stephen Rea as Doc
Rachel Dipillo as Eva
Adam Croasdell as Stefan

Plot:
Werewolf: The Beast Among Us takes Universal Studios' historic monster legacy to an all-new level of chilling action and terrifying suspense. When a mysterious creature terrorizes a village by moonlight, a local young man, Daniel, convinces a team of skilled werewolf hunters to let him join their quest to hunt it down. But as the villagers are attacked one by one and turned into vicious beasts, Daniel begins to fear that his ruthless foe is someone closer than anyone thinks. Starring Ed Quinn, Stephen Rea, Nia Peeples and Steven Bauer.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This is the first time I seen this one. I found it to be a decent werewolf movie. It has a nice bit of action in it as well. I am not really familiar with the cast in this one... but they seemed to do a fine job. The story line keeps you interest through out. And there is a surprise here and there. I would say it is worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 15/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »
     The Raven (1963/United States)
MGM Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Roger Corman
Writing:Richard Matheson (Screenwriter)
Length:86 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Vincent Price as Craven
Peter Lorre as Bedlo
Boris Karloff as Scarabus
Hazel Court as Lenore
Olive Sturgess as Estelle

Plot:
"The wheels of horror churn amid touches of humor" (The Film Daily) in this twisted tale of sorcery most fowl! Inspired by the gothic poem by Edgar Allan Poe and starring horror legends Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff – and Jack Nicholson in an early screen role – this Roger Corman classic about two wizards dueling for magical supremacy is utterly bewitching!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Introduction and parting words by Vincent Price

My Thoughts:

I have to admit... this was a really fun watch. I enjoyed every moment of it. And talk about star packed.... Vincent Price... Peter Lorre...Boris Karloff... and even an early appearance of Jack Nicholson. So early in fact that if I didn't know it ahead of time I would have never recognized him! While it does have it's eerie settings and atmosphere... I wouldn't call this one a horror film. No... this one is more like a fantasy comedy. But that being said I think it is still a good fit for this Halloween season. And it really felt like the entire cast had fun doing this film. Well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 16/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2016, 02:00:57 AM »
    Warlock (1989/United States)
Trimark Home Video (United States)
Director:Steve Miner
Writing:David Twohy [D. T. Twohy] (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Video:Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:French, Spanish

Stars:
Julian Sands as Warlock
Lori Singer as Kassandra
Richard E. Grant as Redferne
Mary Woronov as Channeller
Kevin O'Brien as Chas

Plot:
Boston. 1691. The gallows await the Warlock (JULIAN SANDS). What was an apparent triumph of Witch Hunter Giles Redferne (RICHARD E. GRANT), is short lived as the Warlock escapes and is hurled 300 years into the future. Now, say a prayer for the City of Angels, for it is here in Los Angeles where he begins the task of reuniting three portions of the Devil's Book that will reveal the secret name of God. If spoken, all creation will be destroyed. Redferne, who is also transported, enlists the aid of Kassandra (LORI SINGER), who has miraculously escaped the Warlock's wrath. But the carnage has begun as the Warlock successfully unites the first two sections. The final portion is buried in an old Boston cemetery...in Redferne's grave! It is on these hallowed grounds where evil magic will confront the strength of righteousness with the future of mankind at stake.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one is an entertaining film... I have always liked it. Julian Sands played the Warlock well. And I also liked Lori Singer in this one as well. Though I must admit this one does show it's age. But it is still an entertaining storyline.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 17/52
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:02:40 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2016, 06:10:31 AM »

The Mummy's Hand
Year of Release: 1940
Directed By: Christy Cabanne
Starring: Dick Foran, Peggy Morgan, Wallace Ford, Eduardo Cianelli, Tom Tyler
Genre: Horror, Comedy

Overview:
In this chilling follow-up to the original classic, a magician (Cecil Kellaway) and his beautiful daughter (Peggy Moran) finance an expedition of American Archaeologists, led by Steve Banning (Dick Foran) and Babe Jenson (Wallace Ford). The team travels to Egypt in search of an undiscovered tomb. At first, they are thrilled to find a 3,000-year-old mummy. But soon they learn that when the moon is full the mummy goes on murderous rampages - unless they can find a way to destroy their greatest find.

My Thoughts:
This quite a bit more comedy than horror. Indeed, except for an origin story at the beginning, the mummy doesn't appear until about half way through the film. Until then, this is almost an Abbot and Costello script of two bumbling adventurers and a pretty dame. Indeed, it almost seems like the character of Babe was written as a character for Costello, minus the cowardice his characters often have.

Worth watching as a part of Universal's classic Mummy films, but not an actual classic the way the first one is. It does establish the rest of the franchise, however, so if you're going to watch the later films you'll want to watch this first. Just don't expect it to be anywhere as good as the Karloff film.

Watched For: Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Overall: 2.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 13/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2016, 07:05:02 AM »

The Mummy's Tomb
Year of Release: 1942
Directed By: Harold Young
Starring: Dick Foran, John Hubbard, Elyse Knox, George Zucco, Wallace Ford, Turhan Bey, Lon Chaney Jr.

Overview:
Screen legend Lon Chaney Jr. stars in a compassionate portrayal of the ancient Egyptian mummy Kharis in this timeless tale of lost love. The high priest Mehemet (Turhan Bey) transports Kharis from Egypt to the United States to wreak vengeance on the family who defiled the sacred tomb of his beloved princess. One by one, members of the expedition die. But Mehemet has fallen in love with the beautiful fiancee (Elyse Knox) of the group's leader (Dick Foran). Now he must convince Kharis to help him acheive his ultimate goal -  before a furious mob destroys them both.

My Thoughts:
This is a fairly standard sequel to The Mummy's Hand. The horror is better here, though the actual film is weaker. I think that puts the two films on about even footing. I like the fact that this is an actual sequel, picking up directly from Hand with a lot of the same characters. There's a thread of decent continuity through the whole rest of the series. The film flounders a bit for a focal point after the first few deaths, and the ending is out-of-place in its quick wrap to happily-ever-after. Still this is worth watching as a classic 40's piece of Universal Horror, even if it's not one of the the best.

Watched For:  Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Overall: 2.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 14/52
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:06:58 AM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield