Author Topic: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)  (Read 78292 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »
     Annie: 30th Anniversary: Sing-Along Edition (1982/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:John Huston
Writing:Carol Sobieski (Screenwriter)
Length:127 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Italian: Dolby Digital: 4.1, German: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Arabic, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Albert Finney as Daddy Warbucks
Carol Burnett as Miss Hannigan
Ann Reinking as Grace Farrell
Tim Curry as Rooster
Bernadette Peters as Lily

Plot:
ANNIE, the story of everyone's favorite plucky, red-haired orphan, finally makes the leap from DVD to Blu-ray™! One day Annie (Aileen Quinn) is chosen to stay for a week with the famous billionaire "Daddy" Warbucks (Albert Finney). One week turns into many, and the only person standing in the way of Annie's fun is Miss Hannigan, the tyrannical ruler of the orphanage (played to hilarious perfection by Carol Burnett). Will Miss Hannigan's zany attempts to kidnap the irrepressible Annie succeed? Sing along to the unforgettable songs and experience the beloved musical like never before!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This is one I thought I seen years ago... but after watching it through out I am not sure. Maybe I only seen clips of it. But this is one I enjoyed quite a bit. I liked the storyline and the setting. Cast did a great job... all except one. I just did not care for Carol Burnett in this film. Which is weird since I used to enjoy her years ago. But something bugged me about her in this one. Not the character mind you... but Carol Burnett herself. This one definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »
Pete:
Movies- 11
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 9
Episodes - 10

Since this whole thing got turned into a competition (with a prize and all) the whole thing has gotten a little complicated. How to count what we watch and everything. So we have now decided at least for the competition... only the movie total counts... as she owns strictly musical TV series she can easily beat me with those by watching twice as many in half the time.

So we decided for the competition only the movie totals will count.

Wow! What did this whole thing turn into!?!  :stars: :slaphead: :stars:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2016, 03:22:09 PM »
Wow! What did this whole thing turn into!?!  :stars: :slaphead: :stars:

Hey, you have only yourself to blame, what with those taunting and laughing emojis!   :tease:
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2016, 04:32:56 PM »
I think you will hit the 31 mark Pete! ;) hehe. In this pace you will watch over 31 movies ;)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »
     Buck Privates: Collector's Series (1941/United States)
Universal Home Entertainment, Image Entertainment (United States)
Director:Arthur Lubin
Writing:Arthur T. Horman (Screenwriter), John Grant (Writer)
Length:84 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Lee Bowman (1914) as Randolph Parker, III
Alan Curtis (1909) as Bob Martin
Bud Abbott as Slicker Smith
Lou Costello as Herbie Brown
The Andrews Sisters

Plot:
Comedy legends Bud Abbott and Lou Costello cemented their place in film history with the hilarious comedy classic Buck Privates. After spending years on stage in burlesque and on radio perfecting classic routines such as "Who's on First?", the duo transitioned to motion pictures at Universal in 1940. In their first leading roles, Bud and Lou play con artists who accidently enlist in the U.S. Army to avoid going to jail. Making matters worse, their no–nonsense drill sergeant turns out to be the cop who tried to arrest them! Featuring classic routines such as "Drill", "Dice Game" and "You're Forty, She's Ten", the film also starred the popular singing group The Andrews Sisters performing the Academy Award®–nominated° song "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy". Following the success of Buck Privates, Bud and Lou made an astounding 26 more movies at Universal leaving a legacy of laughter that will be treasured forever.

°1941 Best Music-Original Song

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is a fun Abbott and Costello flick. Seeing the misfits in the armed forces is always fun. While this one is definitely worth the time put in to watch it... if there is anything for me to complain about... it would have to be a little too much Andrew Sisters. I think I would have liked to have seen a non-musical version of this film. But to be honest... even that didn't really take away from my enjoyment.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »
Pete:
Movies- 12
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 9
Episodes - 10
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2016, 07:26:47 AM »

The Phantom of the Opera
Year of Release: 2004
Directed By: Joel Schumacher
Starring: Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Patrick Wilson, Miranda Richardson
Genre: Drama, Suspense/Thriller, Musical

Overview:
The stage musical sensation magically and hauntingly comes to the screen in director Joel Schumacher's lavish production, sweeping audiences aloft to new cinematic heights of sight-and-sound grandeur. Gerard Butler (the Phantom), Emmy Rossum (winner of the National Board of Review Breakthrough Performance and Critics Choice Best Young Actress Awards as Christine) and Patrick Wilson (as Raoul) play the fateful love triangle that unfurls in splendor, suspense – and in the music of the night.

My Thoughts:
I love Phantom.  I'm not sure that this is my favorite version of the story - I think that's still the 1990 TV movie - I still think this is an excellent version.  I love Lloyd Webber's music.  I listened to the Broadway soundtrack for years before this came out.  This is a beautiful, lush, romantic film, with gorgeous costuming and sets.  I enjoy all of the cast, even if Gerard Butler's voice isn't quite as good as it probably should be for his role.  The Phantom here is manipulative and cruel, and it's creepy when you think about him knowing Christine since she was a child.  He's also still quite a sympathetic character, and you feel quite bad for him in the life he has led.  I don't find Christine or Raoul to be as well-developed, but the Phantom is the central character of the story no matter how you look at it. 

Recommended with the caveat that this is almost entirely music, so if you don't like Lloyd Webber's sound this is not a film for you.  I thought the story would be enough to carry Pete through, but we lost him an hour into the film.

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 4/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2016, 07:27:43 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 12
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 10
Episodes - 11 (10 reviewed)
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2016, 03:03:45 PM »

Austin City Limits: Doc Watson, Live from Austin, 1978

For those of you unfamiliar, Doc Watson was a folk, roots, and bluegrass musician who played a fabulous guitar and banjo.  This is a great little set, but it drops off abruptly (like the Oak Ridge Boys one) leading me again to believe it isn't the complete show.  I really wish more of this show was available on DVD.

3.5/5 (would rate higher if it didn't drop off)

Austin City Limits: Chet Atkins & Friends, Live from Austin, 1987

What a great set!  Chet's backing band is Dire Straits, and his friends are the Everly Brothers, Emmylou Harris, Michael McDonald, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and David Pack.  Chet Atkins knew so many great musicians and had such an influence on popular music. 

4.25/5

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »
Pete:
Movies- 12
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 10
Episodes - 12
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2016, 06:56:27 PM »
     Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007/United States)
DreamWorks Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Tim Burton
Writing:Stephen Sondheim (Original Material By), Hugh Wheeler (Original Material By), John Logan (Screenwriter)
Length:116 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd
Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett
Alan Rickman as Judge Turpin
Timothy Spall as Beadle
Sacha Baron Cohen as Pirelli

Plot:
Johnny Depp and Tim Burton join forces again in a big-screen adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's award-winning musical thriller.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:

This is one that my daughter Brittany picked out to watch with me. I enjoyed it quite a bit... but then how can you go wrong with a cast such as this? I really liked both the story and the settings. This is a film that easily kept my attention through-out. I would definitely recommend this one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2016, 08:13:22 PM »
Pete:
Movies- 13
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 10
Episodes - 12
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2016, 05:26:50 PM »

The Aristocats
Year of Release: 1970
Directed By: Wolfgang Reitherman
Starring: Phil Harris, Eva Gabor, Sterling Holloway, Scatman Crothers
Genre: Adventure, Romance, Musical

Overview:
Everybody wants to be a cat! Disney's unforgettable classic The Aristocats swings like never before in high definition. Share all the heart, humor and irresistible music with your family in this jazzy Special Edition 2-Disc Combo Pack!

In the heart of Paris, a kind and eccentric millionairess wills her entire estate to Duchess, her high-society cat, and her three kittens. When her greedy, bumbling butler attempts the ultimate catnap caper, the rough-and-tumble alley cat Thomas O'Malley and his band of swingin' jazz cats must save the day. It's the purr-fect blend of comedy and adventure.

This timeless treasure boasts remarkable picture and sound quality, fun-filled bonus features and memorable songs the whole family will enjoy. It's the cat's pajamas in Disney High Definition!

My Thoughts:
I was in the mood for something short, light and fun, and this always fits that bill. This is one of my personal favorite Disney films, even though I'm well aware that it's considered a 'lesser' film in their catalog. Yet, I'm never sure why. I like all the characters, even spoiled little Marie who is always the one in danger. The villain is truly bumbling but has believable motivation. The two dogs are hilarious. Sure, the tale is a pretty simple one, but the romance is genuine, the voice acting is good, and I come to appreciate the art style and animation more each time I watch it.

Also, the blu-ray release is beautiful and this film has never looked better.  If you like the movie, it's definitely worth the upgrade.

Bechdel Test: Pass

Overall: 3.5/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2016, 06:30:03 PM »

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Les parapluies de Cherbourg)
Year of Release: 1964
Directed By: Jacques Demy
Starring: Catherine Deneuve, Nino Castelnuovo, Anne Vernon, Marc Michel, Ellen Farner
Genre: Romance, Drama, Musical

Overview:
An angelically beautiful Catherine Deneuve was launched to stardom by this dazzling musical heart-tugger from Jacques Demy. She plays an umbrella-shop owner's delicate daughter, glowing with first love for a handsome garage mechanic, played by Nino Castelnuovo. When the boy is shipped off to fight in Algeria, the two lovers must grow up quickly. Exquisitely designed in a kaleidoscope of colors, and told entirely through the lilting songs of the great composer Michel Legrand, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is one of the most revered and unorthodox movie musicals of all time.

My Thoughts:
What is love?  Is it the first blush of romance, the passion of youth and energy of youth, when life is ahead of you and everything is enormous?  I'm sure you remember those days, when everything that went wrong was the end of the world, and your life was over.

Or is love something you build with people who stand by you?  Is it something you have to work for, something that only comes when the flush of youth has passed and one becomes an adult?  

My vote is for the latter, but you can work it out for yourself.

Bechdel Test: Pass

Overall: 4.5/5
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:33:50 PM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2016, 06:30:36 PM »
Pete:
Movies- 13
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 12
Episodes - 12
-- Thorin Oakenshield