Author Topic: The Twilight Saga  (Read 4586 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
The Twilight Saga
« on: February 15, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »
The Twilight Saga

OK... I know some (OK... Many!) will say I am insane for what I am about to do. But tonight I will be starting a new little marathon. In one way it is not much of a marathon since it is only 5 movies. I (and I am sure many others will be) am... to say it nicely.... unsure if I will be able to make it through all 5 movies. As starting tonight I will be attempting to get through the entire Twilight Saga. Being a lover of the Vampire lore can be painful at times. I actually did sit through the first movie... and while there definitely was aspects I hated in it... I was able to enjoy what horror story there was to this movie. So I was able to "tolerate" the rest. Now we are about to see if can tolerate the entire saga! Wish me luck! God have mercy on my soul!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: The Twilight Saga
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 01:37:31 AM »
     Twilight: Special Edition (2008/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Summit Entertainment (United States)
Director:Catherine Hardwicke
Writing:Melissa Rosenberg (Screenwriter), Stephenie Meyer (Original Material By)
Length:122 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan
Sarah Clarke as Renée
Matt Bushell as Phil
Billy Burke as Charlie Swan
Gil Birmingham as Billy Black

Plot:
Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) doesn't expect much when she moves to the small town of Forks, Washington, until she meets the mysterious and handsome Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) - a boy who's hiding a dark secret: he's a vampire. As their worlds and hearts collide, Edward must battle the bloodlust raging inside him as well as a coterie of undead that would make Bella their prey. Based on the #1 New York Times best-selling sensation by Stephenie Meyer, Twilight adds a dangerous twist to the classic story of star-crossed lovers.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:

Watching this film the first thing I notice is it takes too long to get to the horror aspects ofthe film. I know that horror is not the primary focus of these films but it makes ita little harder for someone like me to get through it. There was some things I liked about the movie... and some things I didn't. I really enjoyed the side story of the killings and the protection of Bella. Even though it is only slight... it put a horror aspect into the show for me. I absolutely hated the aspect of how they changed the effects of sunlight on vampires, though that did explain away how they could be out in the day time. I did kind of like the fact that there could be good and bad vampires... just like in the human race. I didn't care much for the narration of Bella's in portions of the movie. The idea of the narration wasn't bad.... but the flowery romance novel like writing of it put me off. But this show still didn't impress me a whole lot. I really can't see where this whole Twilight-mania is coming from. But then again... I guess I am really not the target audience either.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 05:38:04 PM »
     The Twilight Saga: New Moon: Two-Disc Deluxe Edition (2009/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Director:Chris Weitz
Writing:Melissa Rosenberg (Screenwriter), Stephenie Meyer (Original Material By)
Length:131 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Christina Jastrzembska as Gran/Bella
Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen
Billy Burke (1966) as Charlie Swan
Anna Kendrick as Jessica

Plot:
In the second chapter of Stephanie Meyer's best-selling Twilight series, the romance between mortal Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and vampire Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) grows more intense as ancient secrets threaten to destroy them. When Edward leaves in an effort to keep Bella safe, she tests fate in increasingly reckless ways in order to glimpse her love once more. But when she's saved from the brink by her friend, Jacob Black (Taylor Loutner), Bella will uncover mysteries of the supernatural world that will put her in more peril than ever before.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Interviews
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:

This one focuses more on the werewolves then the vampires for the first half of the movie... creating a love triangle for Bella. I tell you one thing.. watching this one movie... I seen enough shirtless guys to last a lifetime... had to wonder if some of those guys even owned a shirt. I say turnabout is fair play... how about one with almost constant shirtless girls! LOL.

I must say... and I am not surprised... but I didn't care too much for this one either. I actually prefer the first one to this one. But that could be because I like vampires so much. I found myself struggling to finish this one. Though it did have some decent scenes. I do like the continuation of the bad vampires still after Bella. And of course I did like the vampires vs. Werewolves scenes. Just wish there was more of them.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 08:38:19 PM »
     The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Director:David Slade
Length:124 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Xavier Samuel as Riley
Justin Chon as Eric

Plot:
IT ALL BEGINS... WITH A CHOICE.

In the third chapter of Stephenie Meyer's phenomenal Twilight series, Bella Swan is surrounded by danger as Seattle is hit by a string of murders and an evil vampire continues her quest for revenge. In the midst of it all, Bella is forced to choose between her love, Edward Cullen, and her friend, Jacob Black — knowing that her decision may ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:

I am actually surprised to say that I enjoyed this one a little more then the previous one. I would say it is just about as good as the first one. Granted that still not saying a whole lot. But while this one continues on with the teen angst and romance... it also brings back some good action/horror elements.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 05:15:35 AM »
BBC reviewer Mark Kermode quite likes the series. He enjoyed the last film in the series for being particularly bonkers... Based on that and your reviews, I actually want to go back and have a lot at the series. (Don't want to buy it, just have a look at it through a streaming service or so...)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »
BBC reviewer Mark Kermode quite likes the series. He enjoyed the last film in the series for being particularly bonkers... Based on that and your reviews, I actually want to go back and have a lot at the series. (Don't want to buy it, just have a look at it through a streaming service or so...)
I personally really enjoy the series .. it grows in strength as the series progresses.  The author tried some new things (shiny skin) and some people don't like it .. and these were not meant to be a horror story but a love story surpassing some new challenges.  But they are what they are .. it is like SciFi .. reading Heinlein is always great fun but it isn't Arthur C Clarke if you get my drift.
Turn off disbelief and enjoy the ride <G>
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 10:07:29 PM »
     The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn: Part 1: Special Edition (2011/United States)
Director:Bill Condon
Length:117 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Taylor Lautner as Jacob Black
Gil Birmingham as Billy
Sarah Clarke (1972) as Renee
Ty Olsson as Phil

Plot:
In the highly anticipated fourth installment of The Twilight Saga, a marriage, honeymoon and the birth of a child bring unforeseen and shocking developments for Bella (Kristen Stewart) and Edward (Robert Pattinson) and those they love, including new complications with werewolf Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Picture-in-picture

My Thoughts:

This one concentrates more on the romance then the horror elements so it is not my favoite in the saga. But with an ending like this one... it is not the worst either. I found myself having to push myself to make it through the first 2/3rds of the film... but on that last third it really grabbed my attention. To the point that I am almost looking forward to the final film in the saga.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 08:40:57 PM »
     The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn: Part 2 (2012/United States)
Director:Bill Condon
Writing:Based on the Novel "Breaking Dawn" byStephenie Meyer (Original Material By),  Melissa Rosenberg (Screenwriter)
Length:115 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Taylor Lautner as Jacob Black
Peter Facinelli as Dr. Carlisle Cullen
Elizabeth Reaser as Esme Cullen

Plot:
In the final chapter of The Twilight Saga phenomenon, the birth of Bella and Edward's child brings conflict between Bella and her lifelong friend Jacob, and an all-out war between the Cullens and the Volturi.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

OK... the end of the saga. AndI must say... I was able to enjoy this one. It is as good as the first one... if not a little better. I liked where the story went. I liked the big battle sequence. This film focuses a little more on the supernatural side of things which is a plus for me. But don't worry those that like the romance side of the movies.... that is here as well. It is a good ending to the saga if you can make your way to it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 04:57:54 AM »
Thanks for reviewing this series. I think I will take the chance to watch it whenever opportunity allows...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 09:44:46 PM »
 :thumbup:
Pete