Author Topic: Horror/Halloween Marathon 2015  (Read 27395 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Horror/Halloween Marathon 2015
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 06:54:29 PM »
     Shadow Zone: The Undead Express (1996/)
IMDb |Trailer |
Echo Bridge Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Stephen Williams
Writing:Roy Sallows (Writer), J. R. Black (Original Material By)
Length:98 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Ron Silver as Valentine
Chauncey Leopardi as Zach
Natanya Ross as Gabe
Tony T. Johnson as J.T.
Sherry Miller as Mom

Plot:
Out of the darkness, the grim reaper appears in a graveyard among headstones and gargoyles. Elegantly cloaked, but masked by shadows, his eyes burn yellow as he tells us we all have a little evil inside us. Take Zach Kincaid...

A lonely and intense 14-year-old horror movie junkie, Zach (Chauncey Leopardi) is a good kid but a little confused as a result of his parents' recent break-up. Perhaps for this reason, he often tends to stretch the truth. His friends, J.T. Heffernan, a computer geek, and Gabrielle "Gabe" Lattanzi, a lovely, intelligent athlete, humor Zach, but know just how much to believe.

On the way home one weekend, Zach becomes lost on a deserted subway platform. When he stops for directions he is attacked, but recued in the nick of time by Valentine (Ron Silver), a self-styled vegetarian vampire from the turn of the century. Finding cold comfort in Valentine's assurance of protection, Zach runs for the first available train. Unfortunately he steps onto the Undead Express, which is full of vampires who are not, apparently, vegetarian...

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:

This one is actually a TV Movie that originally aired on Showtime. From what I read it was actually supposed to be the first movie in a series (think Masters of Horror) called Shadow Zone. I remember seeing this movie on Showtime when it first aired. And I remembered always liking it...and I still enjoy every minute of it. I was kinda surprise that for a vampire movie you only get to see one single person get bit. But that is probably because this movie was made with younger teens and families in mind. It was kinda in the same vein (sorry for the bad pun!) as goosebumps... but maybe a little more spooky then that. This is one I recommend that you can watch with your entire family. Makes for a good holiday tradition to watch with the kids.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 02:52:56 PM »

Die Farbe (The Color Out of Space)
Year of Release: 2010
Directed By: Huan Vu
Starring: Marco Leibnitz, Michael Kausch, Erik Rastetter, Ingo Heise
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Arkham, 1975: Jonathan Davis' father has disappeared. His tracks lead to Germany, to the Swabian-Franconian Forest where he was stationed after the Second World War. Jonathan sets out to find him and bring him home, but deep in the woods he discovers a dark mystery from the past. Based on H.P. Lovecraft's short novel "The Color Out of Space".

My Thoughts:
Perhaps the most horrifying thing is not what has happened, but what is yet to come.

Really well-done adaptation of Lovecraft's story.  I thought they made great choices for their low budget.  In filming in b&w they had a way to depict the alien otherness of the Colour, which is the real challenge of filming the story.  I can see the criticism for some viewers with the hot pink globules the filmmakers use to depict the Colour, but there is no way to accurately represent what Lovecraft says is indescribable, a color that does not exist on this Earth.  So I have no issues with the low-budget representation of the Colour.  All the performances were very strong, especially the two men playing Armin.  The score was also super effective in creating a tense, horrific atmosphere.

If you're looking for something fast paced, slick-looking and with lots of blood, look elsewhere.  This is a slow-moving, low budget, indie horror, with no gore.  Also skip if you don't like subtitles and can't speak German.  I thought this was really good though, and really enjoyed it.  Highly recommended for fans of Lovecraft's work.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 4/5

2015 Horror Movie Count: 4
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:46:29 PM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 05:35:03 PM »
     Carrie (2013/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Kimberly Peirce
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Lawrence D. Cohen (Screenwriter), Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Screenwriter)
Length:92 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Julianne Moore as Margaret White
Chloë Grace Moretz as Carrie White
Gabriella Wilde as Sue Snell
Portia Doubleday as Chris Hargensen
Zoe Belkin as Tina

Plot:
Chloë Grace Moretz and OSCAR® Nominee Julianne Moore* star in this exhilarating reimagining of Stephen King's iconic best seller. After merciless taunting from classmates and abuse at the hand of her religious fanatic mother (Moore), Carrie's (Moretz) anger – and her telekinetic powers – are unleashed. And when a prom prank goes horribly wrong, events spiral out of control until the terrifying conclusion of this powerful, pulse-quickening horror story.

*Actress: 2002, Far From Heaven; 1999, The End of the Affair.
Supporting Actress: 2002, The Hours; 1997, Boogie Nights.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

Really loved the film. I think Chloë Grace Moretz did a fantastic job as Carrie. She could quite possibly replace Sissy Spacek as my favorite actress to portray Carrie! Though to be fair I haven't seen the other two versions in years. Julianne Moore was terrific as Carrie's mother Margaret White. They kept quite a lot of the scenes the same in this film... but they changed enough to keep the film interesting. Especially towards the end. And the changes they made I liked. I have to say... even if you are a fan of the original... give this one a chance. I highly recommend it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »

The Haunted Palace
Year of Release: 1963
Directed By: Roger Corman
Starring: Vincent Price, Debra Paget, Lon Chaney Jr, Frank Maxwell

Overview:
Based on an Edgar Allan Poe poem, this Roger Corman chiller starring Vincent Price is "filled with terror and macabre events [and] guaranteed to bring shudders" (Boxoffice)! A perversely evil 18th-century warlock is burned at the stake. A century after the human barbecue, the warlock's great-great-grandson returns to the family castle where he falls under Gramps' ghost's spell...beginning the evil all over again.

My Thoughts:
Vincent Price meets H.P. Lovecraft.  Two great things that go great together!  What more could I ask for?  I adore Price, and Lovecraft has long been a favorite as well.  Sure, AIP markets this as a Poe picture, but it's actually based in Lovecraft's story with Poe's poem tacked on to market his name.  I suppose Poe was much more commercially known in 63 than Lovecraft.

This is a really good interpretation of Lovecraft's story.  The atmosphere is great.  Loads and loads of props to art director Daniel Haller, whom Corman says in an interview deliberately tried to make the exteriors seem claustrophobic and the interiors unnaturally spacious.  Haller's work really sets the tone of the film, and Lovecraft's atmosphere over gore aesthetic really shines.  Price, of course, is great, as is horror icon Lon Chaney Jr. in a supporting role.  The ambivalent ending only makes the film better, as you leave uncertain that evil has been destroyed.  Price plays it perfectly.

If you love Vincent Price like I do, this is a must see.  Highly recommended.  On a note to the blu-ray, this is as beautiful as the other two films I've watched from the Price sets, and the PBS intro/exit is in the best shape for this film thus far.

Bechdel Test: Fail

2015 Horror Movie Count: 5
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:46:11 PM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »
     Fear Itself: The Complete First Season: Disc One (2008/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Lions Gate Films (United States)
Length:172 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Elizabeth Moss
Russell Hornsby
Stephen Lee
Stephen R. Hart

Plot:
EATER Director's Cut - Rookie cop Danny Bannerman spends the night in an isolated precinct guarding a serial killer who eats his victims and is intent on making Danny his next "meal." Director: Stuart Gordan (Re-Animator)

Spooked - While on a stakeout in a haunted house, a private eye, hired by a mysterious woman is forced to confront the demons of his past. Director: Brad Anderson (The Mechinist)

Community - A young married couple move into a seemingly perfect planned community, but find out the hard way that their neighbors will go to any lengths to preserve their twisted sense of perfection. Director: Mary Harron (American Psycho, The Notorious Bettie Page)

The Sacrifice - Two brothers, Point and Lemon, along with two of their friends, end up stranded at an old fort and slowly discover that the three sisters who reside there are hiding a deadly secret. Director: Breck Eisner (Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Crazies)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Interviews
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this show... it is a shame it only lasted the one season. I found it a bit odd that there is only four episodes per disc here... but they still used double sided discs with only 2 episodes per side.

Eater: I really liked this one a lot. Sure there was some problems with it.... some good sized plot holes and such. But it was entertaining... and kept my interest throughout the episode.

Spooked: This one is one of the good episodes... I enjoyed it quite a bit. Though I will say it was a little on the weird side. But it has a good ghost story atmosphere to it. Definitely worth watching.

Community: There is a couple names in this episode that I am familiar with. There is Shiri Appleby who was one of the main stars of the series Roswell. And then there is Brandon Routh who played Superman in Superman Returns. I have seen several stories about the evil gated communities. But they did it well... and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Sacrifice: I am sure it is of no surprise that I enjoyed this episode a lot. Of course I like most shows about vampires. You never really get that good of a look at the creature in this episode... it is always either out of view or the views are so quick that you don't get a good look at him.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 05:21:06 PM »
     The Haunted Palace (1963/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Shout! Factory (United States)
Director:Roger Corman
Writing:Charles Beaumont (Screenwriter), Edgar Allan Poe [Edgar Allen Poe] (Original Material By), H. P. Lovecraft (Original Material By)
Length:87 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Vincent Price as Charles Dexter Ward / Joseph Curwen
Debra Paget as Ann Ward
Lon Chaney as Simon Orne
Frank Maxwell as Ian Willet
Leo Gordon as Edgar Weeden

Plot:
Based on an Edgar Allan Poe poem, this Roger Corman chiller starring Vincent Price is "filled with terror and macabre events [and] guaranteed to bring shudders" (Boxoffice)! A perversely evil 18th-century warlock is burned at the stake. A century after the human barbecue, the warlock's great-great-grandson returns to the family castle where he falls under Gramps' ghost's spell...beginning the evil all over again.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Introduction by Vincent Price

My Thoughts:

I been a fan of Vincent Price for years... and I must say this is one of his better films. A must see for any Vincent Price fan... hell a must see for any classic horror fan! While the entire cast was great (especially Lon Chaney, Jr. and Elisha Cook)... Vincent Price stole the show. He played 2 parts in this film... one good and one evil. And I can't see how anyone could have done it any better. He has this way about him that he don't even have to talk... the expression on his face alone he can instantly go from looking very kind and gentle to just plain evil and terrifying! The film has such wonderful atmosphere. The feel of these classic horror has something that the modern films just can't compete with any more.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 09:56:37 PM »

The Uninvited
Year of Release: 1944
Directed By: Lewis Allen
Starring: Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey, Donald Crisp, Alan Napier, Gail Russell
Genre: Suspense/Thriller, Horror

Overview:
A pair of siblings from London (Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey) purchase a surprisingly affordable, lonely cliff-top house in Cornwall, only to discover that it actually carries a ghostly price—and soon they're caught up in a bizarre romantic triangle from beyond the grave. Rich in atmosphere, The Uninvited, directed by Lewis Allen, was groundbreaking for the seriousness with which it treated the haunted-house genre, and it remains an elegant and eerie experience, featuring a classic score by Victor Young. A tragic family past, a mysteriously locked room, cold chills, bumps in the night—this gothic Hollywood classic has it all.

My Thoughts:
This is a sophisticated, romantic take on the haunted house story. It has a beautiful, mysterious setting at a mansion overlooking the Cornish coast and a wonderful score, including the now-classic "Stella By Starlight." Like a lot of old films a lot is left to the viewer's imagination. The ghostly activity, for instance, is very understated.

The performances are all good. Veterans Milland and Hussay anchor the film, but fragile Gail Russell is it's soul. She's perfectly cast as Stella Meredith, and her luminous beauty here makes knowing her real-life fate all the more tragic. There's some obvious age differences in the film's romances, but nothing that shouldn't be expected from films of this age.

Which brings this point: do you like classic Hollywood movies? Because that rather predicates whether you'll enjoy this one. Highly, highly recommended if you enjoy films of this age.

Bechdel Test: Pass

2015 Horror Movie Count: 6
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 06:15:20 AM »

The St. Francisville Experiment
Year of Release: 2000
Directed By: Ted Nicolaou
Starring: Madison Charap, Ryan Larson, Paul James Palmer, Tim Baldini

Overview:
Four people – a psychic, a ghost-hunter, a filmmaker and a historian – all trained in the paranormal and equipped with cameras, agreed to spend the night in a house rumored to be haunted. This is their footage. This is their story.

My Thoughts:
This is my first foray into the "found footage" genre, and I'm feeling kinda ambivalent about it. There were some good things here, but there were an equal level of bad ones.

The good: This may be an ultra-low-budget film, but that look works it. It really does look like something that four inexperienced college students might make in a night at a haunted house. I like that they tied into real history with Mme. LeLaurie, and that the filmmakers tried to set it up beforehand as being something they were filming as a ghost-hunting/documentary project for college. It gives it some context for being "found footage."

The average: There's a lot of shaky-cam, but that really didn't bother me. The haunted house was inconsistently creepy, and some parts were simply silly.

The bad: While the actors did a good job portraying silly young college students, for the most part their characters were annoying. Especially Ryan. She was super, super annoying and I really wanted a ghost to get her. Madison was almost as bad, especially with her "white light of protection." She was simply screaming to me as being someone who read Buckland's Big Blue Book and saw The Craft and thought she knew everything she needed to about being Wiccan. Again, totally wanted a ghost to get her, just not as much as Ryan. I didn't like any of these people, but the actors came off as playing them very naturally.

It was hard to suspend disbelief and accept this as actually being found footage. I wasn't invested in the characters, or their story, and we didn't learn enough about the ghosts, who were definitely the most interesting part.

Overall: 2/5

2015 Horror Movie Count: 7
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 07:06:02 AM »

Daughters of Darkness
Year of Release: 1971
Directed By: Harry Kumel
Starring: John Karlen, Delphine Seyrig, Danielle Ouimet, Andrea Rau

Overview:
International screen icon Delphine Seyrig (of LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD fame) stars as Elizabeth Bathory, an ageless Countess with a beautiful young 'companion' (Goth goddess Andrea Rau) and a legendary legacy of perversion. But when the two women seduce a troubled newlywed couple (Canadian beauty Danielle Ouimet and John Karlen of DARK SHADOWS and CAGNEY & LACEY), they unleash a frenzy of sudden violence and depraved desire that shocked both art house audiences and grindhouse crowds worldwide.

Co-written and directed by Harry Kümel, DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS remains one of the most exquisitely mesmerizing adult horror films ever made. Blue Underground is proud to present the uncensored Director's Cut of this classic psychosexual shocker in luscious High Definition and packed with revealing Extras! Also included is THE BLOOD SPATTERED BRIDE, a haunting shocker of reincarnation, lesbianism and violent murder from Vicente Aranda (LOVERS).

My Thoughts:
This was a beautiful, stylish film.  The shot of the Countess and Valerie standing at the top of the hill, where the Countess extends her cape and envelops Valerie is simply magnificent.  This is an exercise in artistry, in a Gothic aesthetic, a triumph of art direction.  It's also a very, very slow moving film.  There's very little vampire lore, very little action, very little blood.  There's also quite a bit of mystery, and some of it never explained.  A lot is left to the viewer to infer.

It reminded me a lot of A Virgin Among the Living Dead, which was equally beautiful, unexplained, and featured a lot of artistic nudity.  I'd definitely be willing to watch it again, but I can't give it an unqualified recommendation.  The characters aren't engaging, the plot is thin, and the pace is extremely slow.  It could be extremely dull to the wrong viewer.  I'd almost tell someone to watch Last Year at Marienbad first (which isn't a horror movie, of course), and then if they enjoyed that try this.  Definitely for the art house crowd.

Overall: 3/5

2015 Horror Movie Count: 8
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »
     The St. Francisville Experiment (2000/)
Trimark Home Video (United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:80 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:

Plot:
Four people – a psychic, a ghost-hunter, a filmmaker and a historian – all trained in the paranormal and equipped with cameras, agreed to spend the night in a house rumored to be haunted. This is their footage. This is their story.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Interviews
  • How To Conduct Your Own Experiment

My Thoughts:

As a fan of the "Lost Tape" genre I remembered really liking this one.,, but I haven't seen it in several years. And I think my tastes has changed some since then. I now find that I don't have the fondness for "Found Tape" films that I once had. The subject matter I still love. I always loved exploring old, abandoned supposedly haunted houses. The shaky can while didn't bother me much I still found irritating. And worst of all was how annoying pretty much all the characters were. So I am afraid I lost my taste for this type of film.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
     The Uninvited: The Criterion Collection (1944/United States)
The Criterion Collection, Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Lewis Allen
Writing:Dodie Smith (Screenwriter), Frank Partos (Screenwriter), Dorothy Macardle (Original Material By)
Length:99 min.
Audio:English: PCM: Mono
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Ray Milland as Roderick Fitzgerald
Ruth Hussey as Pamela Fitzgerald
Donald Crisp as Commander Beech
Cornelia Otis Skinner as Miss Holloway
Dorothy Stickney as Miss Bird

Plot:
A pair of siblings (Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey) from London purchase a surprisingly affordable, lonely cliff-top house in Cornwall, only to discover that it actually carries a ghostly price; soon they’re caught up in a bizarre romantic triangle from beyond the grave. Rich in atmosphere, The Uninvited, directed by Lewis Allen, was groundbreaking for the seriousness with which it treated the haunted-house genre, and it remains an elegant and eerie experience, featuring a classic score by Victor Young. A tragic family past, a mysteriously locked room, cold chills, bumps in the night—this gothic Hollywood classic has it all.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this classic film quite a bit. Though I will say there is no scares here... none what so ever. It seems to me the "horror" in this horror film took a back seat to a romance film. Don't get me wrong, there is a bit of atmosphere to this film and I found it vry entertaining. But at the same time it isn't what I went into the film expecting.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »
         Daughters of Darkness (1971/Belgium)
    Blue Underground (United States)
    Director:Harry Kümel
    Writing:Pierre Drouot (Screenwriter), Jean Ferry (Screenwriter), Harry Kümel (Screenwriter)
    Length:100 min.
    Video:Widescreen 1.66:1
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
    John Karlen as Stefan
    Delphine Seyrig as Countess Bathory
    Danielle Ouimet as Valerie
    Andrea Rau as Ilona Harczy
    Paul Esser as Hotel clerk

Plot:
    International screen icon Delphine Seyrig (of LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD fame) stars as Elizabeth Bathory, an ageless Countess with a beautiful young 'companion' (Goth goddess Andrea Rau) and a legendary legacy of perversion. But when the two women seduce a troubled newlywed couple (Canadian beauty Danielle Ouimet and John Karlen of DARK SHADOWS and CAGNEY & LACEY), they unleash a frenzy of sudden violence and depraved desire that shocked both art house audiences and grindhouse crowds worldwide.

Co-written and directed by Harry Kümel, DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS remains one of the most exquisitely mesmerizing adult horror films ever made. Blue Underground is proud to present the uncensored Director's Cut of this classic psychosexual shocker in luscious High Definition and packed with revealing Extras! Also included is THE BLOOD SPATTERED BRIDE, a haunting shocker of reincarnation, lesbianism and violent murder from Vicente Aranda (LOVERS).

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Feature Trailers
    • Interviews
    • Radio spots, Bonus film: The Blood Spattered Bride

My Thoughts:

This one on the other hand I didn't care for at all. They didn't succeed in making me care about the characters in the least and the story was extremely slow and weird. I found myself struggling to get through this film. I almost got up and walked away from this one on a few occassions. They only thing that stopped me was the fact that my injured knee was bothering me and I didn't want to go through the physical pain of getting up.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 07:30:16 PM »
         Dr. Giggles: Twisted Terror Collection (1992/United States)
    Warner Home Video (United States)
    Director:Manny Coto
    Writing:Manny Coto (Writer), Graeme Whifler (Writer)
    Length:95 min.
    Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
    Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
    Larry Drake as Dr. Evan Rendell
    Holly Marie Combs as Jennifer Campbell
    Cliff De Young as Tom Campbell
    Glenn Quinn as Max Anderson
    Keith Diamond as Officer Joe Reitz

Plot:
    He makes house calls. No appointment necessary. Laughter is the best medicine when Dr. Giggles gives fans of cult horror the right guffaws-and-gore prescription.

Larry Drake plays the night-prowling surgical M.D. (as in Maniacally Deranged) who takes a vengeful whack – or saw, scalpel, stomach pump or whatever else he finds in his little black bag of medical malpractice – at teens, cops, and other residents of a once-pleasant town. From an old haunted house to a midway fun house, from bedrooms to the O.R., the doctor is in(sane). And keeping pace with him is a start-to-finish spree of medical puns that make this romp a cut above. Dr. Giggles: He'll keep you in stitches.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

I have enjoyed this movie for years now... this one stars Holly Marie Combs (Charmed) and Glenn Quinn (Roseanne, Angel). I got this film in the Twisted Terror Collection boxset. When I first saw this movie I didn't know who Holly Marie Combs was... but since seeing this movie I have been infatuated with her every since. Now I am such a huge fan of hers I buy everything I can find with her in it. This movie has a lot of creative kills in it... but I think my favorite of them has to be the stomach pump... that is what I would have to call creative and sickening both at the same time. This one definitely gets recommendation!
    Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 07:49:51 PM »
         Anatomie (2000/Germany)
    Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
    Mill Creek Entertainment (United States)
    Director:Stefan Ruzowitzky
    Writing:Stefan Ruzowitzky (Writer)
    Length:99 min.
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
    Franka Potente as Paula
    Benno Fürmann as Hein
    Anna Loos as Gretchen
    Sebastian Blomberg as Caspar
    Holger Speckhahn as Phil

Plot:
    When Paula (Franka Potente, The Bourne Identity), a brilliant, ambitious medical student, is accepted into a prestigious anatomy class taught by a legendary professor, it seems like a dream come true. But her school days soon turn to nightmares when several of her fellow classmates turn up dead in the university's morgue. Puzzled by the bizarre deaths, Paula soon uncovers a secret medical society whose members perform grisly autopsies on human subjects – while they are still alive – and is plunged into a chillingly macabre world from which no one escapes to tell the terrifying truth.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

I bought this one right before I moved to Kentucky (Almost 2 years ago) but this is the first chance I got to see it. I must say I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Great story... likable characters... good effects. It is one I feel recommending to any horror fan.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 10:23:06 PM »
         Bud Abbott and Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein: Comedy Legends (1948/United States)
    (United States)
    Director:Charles T. Barton
    Writing:Robert Lees (Screenwriter), Frederic I. Rinaldo (Screenwriter), John Grant (Screenwriter)
    Length:83 min.
    Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
    Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
    Bud Abbott as Chick
    Lou Costello as Wilbur
    Lon Chaney, Jr. [Lon Chaney] as Lawrence Talbot
    Bela Lugosi as Dracula
    Glenn Strange as Monster

Plot:
    Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein continues the horror-comedy series and features "the boys" with their usual quota of familiar routines providing the backbone of the plot by becoming Count Dracula's victim for a brain transplant. Lon Chaney, Jr. appears as the Wolf Man along with Dracula played by Bela Lugosi and Glenn Strange as the Frankenstein monster.

Abbott and Costello, as railroad baggage clerks, receive a strange shipment—the last remains of Dracula and Frankenstein's monster. But this deadly duo is still very much alive. So when the shipment arrives at the House of Horrors, the Monsters are not in their crates but have disappeared to a secret hideaway island. Blamed for the disappearance, Abbott and Costello follow their trail to the island where not only do they meet up with Dracula (Bela Lugosi) and the Monster (Glenn Strange), but a Mad Scientist (Charles Bradstreet) who wants to switch Costello's brain with that of the Monster. With everyone chasing each other, the Wolf Man (Lon Chaney, Jr.) shows up to scare them all. In the end everything works out: Costello finds romance and the Monsters find their final resting places…or do they?

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Feature Trailers
    • Featurettes
    • Gallery
    • Production Notes
    • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Whether you are a fan of horror or comedy... this is a must see. You just can't go wrong with this classic comedy team. Not only do you get the genious of Abbott and Costello... you get the likes of Lon Chaney, Jr. and Bela Lugosi recurring their famous monster roles. This film is just so much fun... more then worth the time put in to watch it. A must see!

Rating:
    Pete