Author Topic: Within My Lifetime Marathon  (Read 24964 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Within My Lifetime Marathon
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 05:30:43 PM »
     Beetle Juice: 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (1988/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Tim Burton
Writing:Michael McDowell (Story By), Larry Wilson (Story By), Michael McDowell (Screenwriter), Warren Skaaren (Screenwriter)
Length:92 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, German: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Italian: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Music Only: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Alec Baldwin as Adam
Geena Davis as Barbara
Annie McEnroe as Jane Butterfield
Maurice Page as Ernie
Hugo Stanger as Old Bill

Plot:
What's a Yuppie ghost couple (Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin) to do when their quaint New England home is overrun by trendy New Yorkers? Hire a freelance "bio-exorcist" to spook the intruders, of course. As directed by Tim Burton, Michael "Keaton's Beetlejuice is one of the biggest, baddest wolves a ghost movie has ever unleashed, a polter-gas" (The Village Voice). Keaton's work in this and Clean and Sober won him 1988's National Society of Film Critics Best Actor Award. Winona Ryder, Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones and Sylvia Sidney share starring honors along with wondrous production design, Harry Belafonte soundtrack tunes and Oscar®-winning Best Makeup.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Soundtrack sampler CD, Beetlejuice Cartoon Episodes

My Thoughts:

I always found this movie to be a lot of fun. As always Geena Davis was great in the role.... and I even liked Winona Ryder in this one... which is someone I usually don't care for. It is one I have watched it countless times over the years though this is the first time I seen it on Blu-ray. While it was nice to upgrade this one what with as often as I watch it... there really not much here that is not on the DVD.
Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 05:40:04 PM »
     The Brady Bunch: The Complete First Season: Disc 1

Plot:
The Honeymoon
Mike Brady (Robert Reed), a widower with three boys, marries Carol Ann Tyler Martin (Florence Henderson), a widow with three girls. But just as the knot is tied, chaos breaks loose as the family pets wreak havoc on the ceremony. Mike and Carol admonish their children for the chaos - and then spend a fretful wedding night feeling guilty about their overreaction.
Original Airdate: September 26, 1969

Stars:
Robert Reed as Mike Brady
Florence Henderson as Carol Brady
Ann B. Davis as Alice
Maureen McCormick as Marcia
Eve Plumb as Jan

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a show I never cared much for as a kid ... even though I was stuck watching it with my older brothers. But I did acquire somewhat of a taste for it in my adult years I think mainly do to nostalgia. I know that is the opposite of the norm... but is what happen to me. That being said I still found the pilot to be somewhat weak... but it sets up the series pretty well.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »
     The Amityville Horror (2005/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (United States)
Director:Andrew Douglas
Writing:Scott Kosar (Screenwriter), Sandor Stern (Screenwriter), Jay Anson (Original Material By), George Lutz (Original Material By), Kathleen Lutz (Original Material By)
Length:89 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Ryan Reynolds as George Lutz
Melissa George as Kathy Lutz
Jesse James as Billy Lutz
Jimmy Bennett as Michael Lutz
Chloë Grace Moretz as Chelsea Lutz

Plot:
From Michael Bay, the producer of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, comes the true story of Amityville. In November 1974, a family of six was brutally murdered. Now, a year later, an unsuspecting young couple, George (Ryan Reynolds, The Proposal, X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and Kathy Lutz (Melissa George, TV's Alias), and their children move into the house that was the site of the horrific event and is now haunted by a murderous presence. What follows is 28 days of unimaginable terror. With demonic visions of the dead and relentless screams of terror, this is the haunted house story that isn't just a movie—it's real.
Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

When I first heard that they were remaking "The Amityville Horror" I was rather worried that they would not do the original justice... or that they would make the same mistake they made with the "Psycho" remake.. and make it a carbon copy of the original just changing the actors. But this remake... I must admit... was done in the right way... kept enough the same to pay homage to the original... but changed enough to make it it's own movie.

For the most part I do not like to compare a remake to the original... as I like to judge every movie on it's own as a stand alone movie. But this is hard sometimes... especially when I enjoy the original movie as much as I do "The Amityville Horror." In this case though... I really enjoyed this remake... possibly as much as I liked the original. I think they did a wonderful job with it... and I really enjoy the actors that took over... I am a fan of both Melissa George and Ryan Reynolds. This is one remake that is definitely worth giving a chance... I don't think you will be sorry.
Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
     Hannibal (2001/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer 
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Ridley Scott
Writing:Thomas Harris (Original Material By), David Mamet (Screenwriter), Steven Zaillian (Screenwriter)
Length:132 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter
Julianne Moore as Clarice Starling
Gary Oldman as Mason Verger
Ray Liotta as Paul Krendler
Frankie R. Faison as Barney

Plot:
Anthony Hopkins returns as pure "perverse perfection" and Julianne Moore "emerges triumphant" (Rolling Stone) in this terrifying follow-up to The Silence of the Lambs.
Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:

I found this to be a very good followup to Silence of the Lambs. At first I was concerned about the replcement of Jodie Foster as Clarice... and while I liked her better... Julianne Moore did a fine job.. The storyline easily kept my interest throughout the entire film. Definetly a very entertaining way to waste a couple extra hours.
Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 10:42:10 PM »
     Grease: Rockin' Rydell Edition (1978/United States)
Warner Home Video, Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Randal Kleiser
Writing:Jim Jacobs (Original Material By), Warren Casey (Original Material By), Bronté Woodard (Screenwriter), Allan Carr (Original Material By)
Length:110 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
John Travolta as Danny
Olivia Newton-John as Sandy
Stockard Channing as Rizzo
Jeff Conaway as Kenickie
Barry Pearl as Doody

Plot:
Go back to high school with Pink Lady Sandy (Olivia Newton-John), leader of the bad-boy T-Birds, Danny (John Travolta), and a rockin' and rollin' all-star cast. Now available for the first time as a remastered Special Edition Blu-ray Disc, and featuring rockin' bonus materials, Grease: Rockin' Rydell Edition is the word!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Rydell Sing-Along

My Thoughts:

Yes I know... it seems weird for me to be watching and reviewing THIS film. But what can I say it was a favorite of my wife's.... which means she made me sit through it many times. So I was feeling a bit nostalgic today and decided to give it a spin. While not what I personally would call a good movie it does have some fun scenes and in my case brings back some good memories of a life that is long gone. The film is worth the time put in to watch it... though I am sure that most has seen this one by now.
Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »
     Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969/United States)
Director:George Roy Hill
Writing:William Goldman (Writer)
Length:110 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Korean, Spanish

Stars:
Paul Newman as Butch Cassidy
Robert Redford as The Sundance Kid
Katharine Ross as Etta Place
Strother Martin as Percy Garris
Henry Jones as Bike Salesman

Plot:
Settle back with your favorite sidekick and enjoy Hollywood's original buddy picture. Paul Newman and Robert Redford have never shined brighter in the roles that will forever identify them as the daring, debonair outlaws on the run—and head-over-heels in love with the same beautiful woman (Katharine Ross).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I found this one to be a very good movie. Different then most Westerns I have seen. Not only did it have a bit of comedy sprinkled in... it has a light-hearted feel to the entire movie. It is definitely one I would recommend checking out if you haven't seen it.
Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »

Fear: The Walking Dead
A highly dysfunctional blended family is forced together when they realize a reported virus is actually the onset of the undead apocalypse.

My Thoughts:
The first episode of the spin-off series... I found it to have a bit of a slow start... but towards the middle to end really started to get into it. This pilot episode has little zombie activity, but think that is ok as it does start at the very beginning of the zombie apocalypse.  In the beginning of the episode I feared I wouldn't like the characters in this one... while I still like the characters from the first series better, I found that I warmed up to the characters as the episode went on. It really is hard to say how a series is going to be after just one episode... but I enjoyed this one enough to continue watching.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 11:05:17 PM »
     The Exorcist: Extended Director's Cut & Original Theatrical Version (1973/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:William Friedkin
Writing:William Peter Blatty (Screenwriter), William Peter Blatty (Original Material By)
Length:132 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 6.1 (Discrete), English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Russian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Hungarian: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Polish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish

Stars:
Ellen Burstyn as Chris MacNeil
Max von Sydow as Father Merrin
Lee J. Cobb as Lt. Kinderman
Kitty Winn as Sharon
Jack MacGowran as Burke Dennings

Plot:
Controversial and popular from the moment it opened, The Exorcist marks its historic Blu-ray premiere in a 2-Disc Edition featuring Stunning Hi-Def Presentations of the Original 1973 Theatrical Version and the 2000 Extended Director's Cut. The frightening and realistic tale of an innocent girl inhabited by a terrifying entity, her mother's frantic resolve to save her and two priests--one doubt-ridden, the other a rock of faith--joined in battling ultimate evil always leaves viewers breathless. This greatest supernatural thriller of all time astonishes and unsettles like no other movie.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Interviews
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

This is a favorite of mine and my late wife's both. Though it did use to scare her to the point that she made me go to every room with her after watching it... as she was afraid to be alone. Sure it is a bit slow in parts. But the story is of such interest to me that it didn't "feel" slow. I of course love the head spin scene... and then there is the whole spider walk down the stairs scene... very cool. Definitely one I would recommend.
Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2015, 08:24:40 PM »
     The Twelve Chairs (1970/United States)
Director:Mel Brooks
Writing:Ilf (Original Material By), Petrov (Original Material By), Mel Brooks (Screenwriter)
Length:94 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Ron Moody as Vorobyaninov
Frank Langella as Ostap Bender
Dom DeLuise as Father Fyodor
Andreas Voutsinas as Nikolai Sestrin
Vlada Petric as Sevitsky

Plot:
Although the plot of The Twelve Chairs is wild enough to have been created by Mel Brooks, it's actually based on a Russian story written by two Soviet journalists, Ilya Ilf and Yevgeni Petrov, in the 1920s. Set in Russia in 1927, this much-loved, hilarious Mel Brooks comedy classic is the tale of a former aristocrat (Ron Moody) who is now a Russian clerk under the new Soviet regime. When he learns that his dying mother-in-law sewed a fortune of family jewels into one of the twelve dining room chairs, he sets off across Russia to find it – with an opportunist (Frank Langella), a priest (Dom DeLuise) and his former servant (Mel Brooks) all in equal pursuit.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:

while not a terrible movie... this one leaves quite a bit to be desired. I actually found myself having trouble focusing on the film. And just did not find much here funny. In my honest opinion, the idea for this one was much better then the outcome. Don't worry too much about missing this one.
Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 08:16:21 AM »
Since I own the same box set, I saw The Twelve Chairs once. I agree, that it is quite apparent to be an early work of Mel Brooks, him still trying to find his own brand of humor. I may not revisit this ever again, other items in the box are much more worth to be seen repeatedly.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2015, 09:17:07 PM »
     Return to the Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam and Burt (2003/United States)
Anchor Bay Entertainment (United States)
Director:Paul A. Kaufman
Writing:Duane Poole (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Adam West (1928) as Himself
Burt Ward as Himself
Jack Brewer as Adam West/Batman
Jason Marsden as Burt Ward/Robin
Lyle Waggoner as Narrator/Himself

Plot:
When the original Batmobile is stolen, there's no time to call the police. This is a job for actors!
Thirty-five years after BATMAN went off the air, a fiendish criminal mastermind is forcing Adam West and Burt Ward to relive their legendary pasts as The Caped Crusader and The Boy Wonder. What went on when the costumes came off? The Dynamic Duo reveal the entire bizarre-but-true story through classic clips, surprise guest stars and THWAK!-filled flashbacks to the on-and-off camera controversies, scandals and ego battles behind one of the most wildly popular series in TV history!

Still-diabolical Bat-Villians Julie Newmar, Frank Gorshin and Lee Meriwether co-star along with Betty White, Curtis Armstrong and Lyle Waggoner in this reunion movie like no other, from the creators of SURVIVING GILLIGAN'S ISLAND!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this TV Reunion Movie very much. One thing I liked was that Adam West and Burt Ward had no problem and felt like they even enjoyed making fun of themselves. It was also good seeing some of the old cast members again. As for all the flashbacks during the making of the series? I enjoyed it... thought everyone did fine with it. Definitely worth checking out if you had fond memories of the series.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »
Horror Movie Thread: Salem's Lot
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile