Author Topic: New Tricks  (Read 2589 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
New Tricks
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:01:12 AM »
I am just watching the last episodes of season 11 of the excellent British TV series New Tricks.

When Amanda Redman left the show in season 10, leaving only Dennis Waterman of the original 4 UCOS members, I thought for sure that the show had jumped the shark. And perhaps it has (a lot of people seem to think so), but I still enjoyed this season quite a lot. I have read that Waterman is about to leave the show after the first two episodes of the next season. I'll be sad to see him go. I really like Dennis Waterman.

I think Tamzin Outhwaite was an excellent replacement for Amanda Redman. She actually looks like a slimmer version of Redman.

I guess I'll have to agree with those who say that the first 4 seasons were the best, but for me no season has been really bad. Like Castle, it's one of those shows that I can't stop watching when I get started with a season. And like Castle it's not your run of the mill cop show. Like Castle it's a comedy/crime/drama that is fun without being silly. But there's where the similarities end, I think.

I give New Tricks two thumbs up  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: New Tricks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 04:42:03 AM »
I've never heard of it, but it sounds interesting..especially if it is sort of like Castle.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »
Well, the comparison with Castle was only in regards to watchability and overall genre. I think it would be doing the show a disservice to come to it expecting another Castle. It's a very British show, quite non-violent, and based more on dialog than action. In that regard it's a lot more like some of the other major British cop shows, like for example Midsomer Murders, but with a bit more humor injected. Character based humor rather than laugh-out-loud comedy.

The premise is the creation of UCOS, Unsolved Crimes and Open case Squad, with three retired police detectives and their female boss. In the first eight seasons they are played by Alun Armstrong, James Bolan, Dennis Waterman and Amanda Redman.

Youtube is definitely not the ideal way to watch shows (or movies), but several episodes are available there, and you might check out one or two to see if it is something you might like.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:26:27 PM »
Good thing I finished New Tricks last night, because today Season 6 of Castle arrived. If this dreary weather continues (drizzle and just a couple of degrees above freezing) I know how I'm going to spend the weekend.  :yahoo: (not that my unwatched pile is anywhere near empty  :-[)

I'm a bit miffed, though, that Swedish television is so far behind on Castle that I have to wait for the DVD releases. And that we have to wait two months after the US release date. I can hardly wait for Season 7.

One thing about New Tricks is that they only do 10 episodes per season. So when I get it on DVD it doesn't last very long. Castle, of course, has more than twice that.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 12:13:31 AM »
Hm, really? Sweden is 2 months behind the USA scedual? Thats really weird. Because in Norway we are only 3 days behind the USA scedual. In Norway we are at S07 EP07  (Castle)

Didnt think it was that big of a difference between Norway and Sweden. Weird. Hmm
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:56:01 AM »
No, what I meant was that we (actually Amazon UK) gets the DVD release two months after the US. Sweden is couple of seasons behind on TV. Guess they were late catching on that Castle was a popular show.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 05:29:22 AM »
I'll try to check that on Youtube soon.  It does sound interesting...and I like shows from England.