Author Topic: 22 Jump Street  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
22 Jump Street
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:22:18 AM »
22 Jump Street

I ended up seeing 22 Jump Street a week ago.  I never really wanted to see it, but I got talked into going by a friend.  I should have stuck by my initial instincts. 

I saw 21 Jump Street on one of the Encore channels a few months ago.  I wasn't impressed.  The best part was when Johnny Depp turned up, but that quickly got ruined too.  This movie is mainly more of the same, with Jenko and Schmidt sent undercover at a local college after they screw up a drug bust.  Never mind that they are older than all the other students - they did at least acknowledge that they were too old to pass for high school students.  Jenko manages to become friends with a few football players who are in a fraternity.  Schmidt is left out of that, but he manages to hook up with a girl that is out of his league.  Jenko and Schmidt can't agree on things, and that does cause issues with their investigation. 

Some of what happens is funny, but more often than not, the jokes don't work.  Things are way overdone.  I lost count of the number of times jokes are made about movie sequels or some kind of gay joke is done. The first few times, those things are funny, but they don't know when to stop.  Those jokes keep being used over and over and over, until long after the humor is gone.  Most of the humor is crude in some way, and that also gets old.  Too much of the movie just isn't funny.  The characters are flat and not that interesting.  I don't really like Jonah Hill.  He didn't annoy me as much in this movie, but nothing about his performance in it changed my opinion of him.

I know that 22 Jump Street made a lot of money and got a ton of good reviews.  I don't see it.  For me, the movie was a huge, unfunny mess.  Since the movie was successful, I won't be surprised if they go and make another one.

2 out of 5 stars

I did post a longer review on my movie blog.

22 Jump Street