Author Topic: Logan's Run  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Logan's Run
« on: July 31, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »

Logan's Run
Year of Release: 1976
Directed By: Michael Anderson
Starring: Michael York, Richard Jordan, Jenny Agutter, Peter Ustinov
Genre: Science Fiction

Overview:
In the Year of the City 2274, humans live in a vast, bubbled metropolis, where computerized servo-mechanisms provide all needs so everyone can pursue endless hedonism. Endless, that is, until Lastday, when anyone who's 30 must submit to Carousel, a soaring, spinning trip to eternity and supposed rebirth. The screen's first use of laser holography highlights this post-apocalyptic winner of a Special Achievement Academy Award® for Visual Effects. Michael York plays Logan 5, a Sandman authorized to terminate Runners fleeing Carousel. Logan is almost 30. Catch him if you can.

My Thoughts:
This is a great piece of classic sci-fi. Like all the best sci-fi it seems, it is both dated and timeless simultaneously. It is a very 70's film - bright colors, big hair, casual nudity. It is also a film for today, and for tomorrow too - in its basic questions: what is one's place in society? is a comfortable life worth what you have to give up for it? what is utopia? is there a responsibility in rebellion?

I thought all the main actors were quite good, and the cinematography and effects are wonderful for their day. You don't see miniature sets like that any more. Really, my only complaint is the scene with Box. It's completely out of place in the film and quite jarring. It could have been eliminated completely and tightened the film up quite a bit. Other than that, it's a great film, and I'd recommend it for any fan of classic sci-fi.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 4/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Logan's Run
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:34:43 AM »
I only have one image in my mind, related to this film. It has been veeeeery long since I saw this (and I believe I only saw this once).

The theme, from what I remember seems to go in the same direction as Soylent Green, yet the film takes a wildly different approach. Do I remember that corruptly? (I mean, the underlying theme being overpopulation...?)

I should try if I can watch this as a rental somewhere...

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 02:19:44 PM »
I expect that the controls were set up to control for overpopulation and to prevent the scarcity of resources, so it is certainly a consideration.  However, I didn't think it was the theme of the film.  I thought the underlying theme, at least for the characters, was about the cost of giving up one's freedom for security.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
Yeah, you're right, I think I used a wrong word there. I don't think overpopulation is the theme of Soylent Green either. What the movies share is the premise, and then they take that and gun off in different directions. Yes, I think premise is closer to what what I am trying to say.

I ground it's on iTunes, I will watch it soon.

(Saw a scene of the films and the terrible model work; the special effects have not aged well...)

hal9g

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
For me the theme was whether humanity should live in a completely managed, controlled and very comfortable environment including the timing of your ascension through Carousel (euphemism for death) or strive for freedom at any cost.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »
For me the theme was whether humanity should live in a completely managed, controlled and very comfortable environment including the timing of your ascension through Carousel (euphemism for death) or strive for freedom at any cost.

This synopsis could be used to describe one of my favorite books written by Ira Levin: This Perfect Day