Author Topic: The Alphabet Marathon: Blu-ray Edition  (Read 26004 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
The Alphabet Marathon: Blu-ray Edition
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:10:19 PM »
The Alphabet Marathon: Blu-ray Edition
Now that I got a film on blu-ray that covers every letter of the alphabet I decided to attempt a blu-ray edition of the alphabet marathon... where I will attempt to watch 1 film for every letter of the alphabet (plus 1 film starting with a number) before the end of July.

I want to emphasize the word ATTEMPT because this is the first time I will be trying to do a timed marathon since getting back to work... and as you all know that really limits the time you can put in watching movies. Because of this I decided NOT to go in alphabetical order... just get in every letter before the month is over. As going in alphabetical order will slow me down a lot... there will be times I am just not in the mood to watch a film in a certain letter... so would be much easier to be able to temporarily skip that letter.

At least I am off tomorrow... so with any luck I will be able to fit in 3 or 4 tomorrow.

Marathon Review Index:

Letter:
  Title/Link:
  Rating:
#
  42: The Jackie Robinson Story

A
  After.Life

B
  The Box

C
  Conan: The Barbarian

D
  Die Hard

E
  Ever After

F
  Frozen

G
  Get Smart

H
  Hansel and Gretal: Witch Hunters

I
  I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry

J
  Jonah Hex

K
  Kick-Ass

L
  Logan's Run

M
  Mad Max

N
  Never Been Kissed

O
  The Others

P
  Paranormal Activity 4

Q
  Queen of the Damned

R
  Resident Evil

S
  Son of Batman

T
  Transformers: Dark of the Moon

U
  Unstoppable

V
  Veronica Mars

W
  Wrath of the Titans

X
  X-Files: I Want to Believe

Y
  Young Frankenstein

Z
  Zookeeper

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:51:20 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: The Alphabet Marathon: Blu-ray Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:14:20 PM »
     42: The Jackie Robinson Story (2013/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video
Director:Brian Helgeland
Writing:Brian Helgeland (Writer)
Length:128 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Thematic Elements Including Language
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson
Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey
Nicole Beharie as Rachel Robinson
Christopher Meloni as Leo Durocher
Ryan Merriman as Dixie Walker
Lucas Black as Pee Wee Reese

Plot:
In 1946, Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford), owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers, took a stand against Major League Baseball's infamous color line when he signed Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) to the team. The deal put both men in the crosshairs of the public, the press and even other players. Facing unabashed racism from every side, Robinson was forced to demonstrate tremendous courage and let his talent on the field win over fans and his teammates - silencing his critics and forever changing the world by changing the game of baseball.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed watching this one today. I had started it once before when I borrowed it from the library... but never got the chance to finish it. Today I finally got to see the entire film. It is a little on the long side... but it is a very interesting story. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it. I thought Chadwick Boseman (who I personally never heard of before) did a fine job playing Jackie Robinson. And Harrison Ford was great as Branch Rickey. If you get the chance to see this one you should. I definitely recommend it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:38:02 PM »
     After.Life (2009/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Anchor Bay Entertainment
Director:Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo
Writing:Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo (Writer), Paul Vosloo (Writer), Jakub Korolczuk (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Rating:Rated R : Nudity, Disturbing Images, Language and Brief Sexuality
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: PCM: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Christina Ricci as Anna Taylor
Liam Neeson as Eliot Deacon
Justin Long (1978) as Paul Coleman
Chandler Canterbury as Jack
Celia Weston as Beatrice Taylor
Luz Alexandra Ramos [Luz Ramos] as Diane

Plot:
After a horrific car accident, Anna (Christina Ricci) wakes up to find the local funeral director Eliot Deacon (Liam Neeson) preparing her body for her funeral. Confused, terrified and feeling still very much alive, Anna doesn't believe she's dead, despite the funeral director's reassurances that she is merely in transition to the afterlife. Eliot convinces her he has the ability to communicate with the dead and is the only one who can help her. Trapped inside the funeral home, with nobody to turn to except Eliot, Anna is forced to face her deepest fears and accept her own death. But Anna's grief-stricken boyfriend Paul (Justin Long) still can't shake the nagging suspicion that Eliot isn't what he appears to be. As the funeral nears, Paul gets closer to unlocking the disturbing truth, but it could be too late; Anna may have already begun to cross over to the other side.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
OK... this was different. While I know I enjoyed this film... it left me feeling a bit confused. The storyline on this one really keeps you guessing. It could of gone one of 2 different ways. The problem is after watching the film I am still not sure which of the 2 ways was actually the case. But setting the confusing storyline aside... the cast was all good and I definitely can see myself watching this one again. I almost feel like I have to so I can see if there was just something I missed. Maybe watch it with the commentary track on to see if I can get the answers that way. While I liked the film... I hate that it didn't give us a clear answer.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:23:11 AM »
     Never Been Kissed (1999/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Raja Gosnell
Writing:Abby Kohn (Writer), Marc Silverstein (Writer)
Length:107 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sex-Related Material and Some Drug Content
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, German: DTS: 5.1, Italian: DTS: 5.1, Japanese: DTS: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Korean: Dolby Digital: Mono, Polish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Turkish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Russian: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish

Stars:
Drew Barrymore as Josie Geller
David Arquette as Rob Geller
Michael Vartan as Sam Coulson
Sun-TimesMolly Shannon as Anita
John C. Reilly as Gus

Plot:
Eight years ago she was a total geek; now she's back to get it right! "Drew Barrymore is brilliant!" (Jonathan Foreman, New York Post) in this hilarious, heartwarming comedy about that wacky "wonderland" of homework, hot lunches and raging hormones known as high school.

Newspaper reporter Josie Geller (Barrymore) is going undercover as a student to learn about today's teens. At first she's thrilled...until she remembers her nickname: "Josie Grossie." Can a former clueless nerd navigate the hallways of high school without tripping over her own feet?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is a pretty good one. Though I will admit you need to stick with it a little before getting into it. It is a bit of a slow starter. It is a decent story with a few laughs. I would have liked to seen a little more comedy in it though. I liked both Drew Barrymore and David Arquette in it. And I was a little surprised to see Jessica Alba in a somewhat smaller roll as one of the "popular kids." Anyway... this one is definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:40:17 AM »
     The Others (2001/United States)
Miramax, Lionsgate
Director:Alejandro Amenábar
Writing:Alejandro Amenábar (Writer)
Length:104 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Thematic Elements and Frightening Moments
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Nicole Kidman as Grace
Fionnula Flanagan as Mrs. Mills
Christopher Eccleston as Charles
Alakina Mann as Anne
James Bentley as Nicholas
Eric Sykes as Mr. Tuttle

Plot:
Academy Award® winner** Nicole Kidman (The Hours, Moulin Rouge!) delivers an utterly unforgettable performance in this chilling and stylish suspense thriller! While awaiting her husband's return from war, Grace (Kidman) and her two young children live an unusually isolated existence behind the locked doors and drawn curtains of a secluded island mansion. Then, when three mysterious servants arrive, it becomes frighteningly clear that there is far more to this house than meets the eye. Acclaimed by critics everywhere, the unpredictable twists and turns of this compelling hit will keep you guessing!

**2002, Actress in a Leading Role, The Hours.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
I have always enjoyed this movie... is a really good ghost story. Even though I did figure out the end twist early the first time I watched it. This movie has some good atmosphere... and I think the cast did a great job. If you never seen this film... I highly recommend it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:48:17 AM »
Well that is it for today... not bad.. got 4 movies in on the first day! :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 05:59:03 PM »
     The Box (2009/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Richard Kelly
Writing:Richard Kelly (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By)
Length:116 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Thematic Elements, Some Violence and Disturbing Images
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Cameron Diaz as Norma Lewis
James Marsden as Arthur Lewis
Frank Langella as Arlington Steward
James Rebhorn as Norm Cahill
Holmes Osborne as Dick Burns
Sam Oz Stone as Walter Lewis

Plot:
Push a red button on a little black box, get a million bucks cash. But there's a catch: Someone somewhere – someone you don't know – will die. Cameron Diaz and James Marsden play a couple confronted by agonizing temptation yet unaware they're part of an orchestrated and – for them and us – mind-blowing chain of events. Frank Langella also stars in this gripping sci-fi mystery thriller from director Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko) and a short story by Richard Matheson (I Am Legend).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Interviews
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen this film.... though I have been curious about it. While I didn't know what to expect going in... I found this film to be good in an interesting way. It does get a little strange in spots. But over-all it is worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »
     Get Smart (2008/United States, Australia)
Warner Home Video
Director:Peter Segal
Writing:Mel Brooks (Original Characters By), Buck Henry (Original Characters By), Tom J. Astle (Writer), Matt Ember (Writer)
Length:110 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Some Rude Humor, Action Violence and Language
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart
Anne Hathaway as Agent 99
Dwayne Johnson as Agent 23
Alan Arkin as The Chief
Terence Stamp as Siegfried
Terry Crews as Agent 91

Plot:
Steve Carell is in CONTROL as Maxwell Smart, the novice agent often out of his depth but never out of options in this action comedy pitting him against the nuclear scheme of the evil spy group KAOS. Anne Hathaway partners with Max as ever-capable Agent 99. And director Peter Segal (The Longest Yard) guides his stars (including Dwayne Johnson and Alan Arkin) through the dangerous realm of molar radios, multifunction pocketknives, exploding dental floss and more. "Get Smart works as an action film and it's funny." (Richard Roeper, At the Movies with Ebert & Roeper).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
Felt like something silly... and I definitely got that with this one. Possibly a little too silly in parts. But over all it is a fun watch... especially if you know the series it is based on. I think Steve Carell was perfect to play Maxwell Smart. I also think Anne Hathaway did a great job as well. Definitely worth checking out.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 06:53:42 AM »
I just watched Get Smart again not that long ago too.  Very funny.  Yes it is sill, but it works so well.  I love Carrell as Maxwell Smart.  I liked Dwayne Johnson in this one too.  I especially liked how he decided to deal with the other agent who left the copier jammed.   :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »
     Son of Batman: DC Universe Original Movie (2014/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Warner Home Video
Director:Ethan Spaulding
Writing:James Robinson (Story By), Joe R. Lansdale (Screenwriter), Bob Kane (Original Characters By), Marv Wolfman (Original Characters By), George Perez [George Pérez] (Original Characters By), Gerry Conway (Original Characters By), Don Newton (Original Characters By)
Length:72 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Stylized Violence Including Bloody Images, and Some Suggestive Material
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Jason O'Mara as Batman / Bruce Wayne (Voice)
Stuart Allan Bertman [Stuart Allan] as Damian (Voice)
Thomas Gibson as Deathstroke (Voice)
Morena Baccarin as Talia (Voice)
Dee Bradley Baker as Man-Bats (Voice)
Xander Berkeley as Langstrom (Voice)

Plot:
Hidden atop a secret mountain stronghold lies the League of Shadows and its fearless leader, Ra's al Ghul. Together with his equally dangerous daughter, Talia, he oversees a trained army of assassin with plans for global domination. But an uprising from within the League now threatens to shift the balance of power and sends Talia and her young son, Damian, fleeing to Gotham City. With assassins on their trail, Talia seeks the protection of Batman, who, unbenownst to him, is the boy's father. With his son in tow, Batman wages war against the villain Deathstroke and the League of Shadows, all while teaching his headstrong boy that one can't fight crime by becoming a criminal. With help from Gotham's finest, including Commissioner Gordon and Nightwing, Batman will soon discover that his son and most trusted ally are one and the same!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy
  • From the DC Comics Vault - 4 Bonus Cartoons

My Thoughts:
I watched this one again last night. Enjoyed it just as much this time around as I did the first time. A must see if you like animated superhero movies.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 02:43:36 PM »
No clue how long I will be n the hospital... hopefully not too long and it won't hurt this marathon too badly.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 06:01:51 AM »
No clue how long I will be n the hospital... hopefully not too long and it won't hurt this marathon too badly.

Ummm, priorities...? ???

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 10:07:36 AM »
That is just me wishing I had a blu-ray rom in my computer! :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »
     I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (2007/United States)
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Dennis Dugan
Writing:Barry Fanaro (Screenwriter), Alexander Payne (Screenwriter), Jim Taylor (1963) (Screenwriter)
Length:115 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Crude Sexual Content Throughout, Nudity, Language and Drug References
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Adam Sandler as Chuck Levine
Kevin James as Larry Valentine
Jessica Biel as Alex McDonough
Dan Aykroyd as Captain Tucker
Ving Rhames as Duncan
Steve Buscemi as Clint Fitzer

Plot:
Adam Sandler and Kevin James star as best friends and fellow firefighters Chuck and Larry, the pride of their Brooklyn fire station. Chuck owes Larry for saving his life. Larry calls in that favor big-time by asking Chuck to pose as his “domestic partner” so his kids will get his pension. But when a fact-checking bureaucrat becomes suspicious, the two straight guys are forced to improvise as love-struck newlyweds. Jessica Biel, Ving Rhames and Dan Aykroyd co-star in this hilarious comedy.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Interactive Games
  • U-Control

My Thoughts:
I just finished watching this one. I am more of a fan of Kevin James then I am of Adam Sandler. I always liked Kevin James in the series The King of Queens and have always enjoyed his movies.... where with Adam Sandler it has been very hit and miss... where I only really like about half the stuff he does. While I liked this film... it definitely had it's moments... I found it to be no more then average. I felt that some of the scenes went a little far and was a little hard to watch. But over-all worth the time put in to watch it. Though it won't be often I can see myself watching ths one again.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »
     Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters: Unrated Cut (2013/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Paramount Home Entertainment
Director:Tommy Wirkola
Writing:Tommy Wirkola (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Jeremy Renner as Hansel
Gemma Arterton as Gretel
Famke Janssen as Muriel
Pihla Viitala as Mina
Derek Mears as Edward
Robin Atkin Downes as Edward (Voice)

Plot:
Get ready for a twisted take on the classic tale as Hansel (JEREMY RENNER) and Gretel (GEMMA ARTERTON) have turned pro, coping with the trauma of their childhood captivity by slaying witches for hire. But when seemingly unstoppable bounty hunters meet their match in an enemy so evil, it'll take all their training, weapons and courage to survive. PAYBACK IS A WITCH!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
We decided to watch this one last night. I know a lot of people don't like this kind of film where they mix action and horror together... but it is a genre I have always liked. And this film is no different. While I wouldn't say it is the best I have seen in the genre... I definitely enjoyed it quite a bit. This film has an interesting take on an old story and the cast all did a great job. I also was happy they didn't feel the need to make this a 2+ hour movie... like a lot of films are anymore. Anyway... definitely recommended.

My Rating:
Pete