Author Topic: Proud Father Moment  (Read 1800 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Proud Father Moment
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:28:24 PM »
Just found out over facebook that my daughter Brittany put in an application... and was accepted to study abroad next semester. She will be going to London in September!

I must admit I am a little nervous about her being so far away where I can do very little to help her if needed. But more then that I am extremely proud and excited for her! She is only 18 and is already doing more with her life then I was ever able to do... what more can you ask from your child!

I swear... I couldn't be more proud this morning!

So all you people across the pond... what are the must sees in the London area? I am not sure how it is all going to work... but while she was visiting me last week she said she hoped to stay with a family while there. Guess it is something families volunteer to do... take in college students that study abroad?
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Proud Father Moment
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:17:30 PM »
I went to summer school in London in 1964 and I stayed with a family. That was 50 years ago, but seeing how conservative the British are, I think it's a safe bet that families still take in students.

And as for what to see in London, don't worry. I'm sure her hosts will tell her all the places she should visit (and her classmates will take her to all the places she shouldn't).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:48:29 PM »
LOL... lets not give me more to worry about there Gunnar!  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 03:59:10 AM »
Wow.  That's great.  What college will she be at?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:00:15 AM »
That is great! Congratulations to Brittany. Hope she'll have a swell time in the UK.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »
I'm sure she'll have a swell time. I fell in love with London back in '64 (I was 17 at the time), and I have revisited London more than 20 times. A few times for work, but mostly just for pleasure. I especially love the atmosphere in old pubs. They are getting fewer, but there are still enough of them around to satisfy me...

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 04:39:09 PM »
I went to summer school in London in 1964 and I stayed with a family. That was 50 years ago, but seeing how conservative the British are, I think it's a safe bet that families still take in students.

And as for what to see in London, don't worry. I'm sure her hosts will tell her all the places she should visit (and her classmates will take her to all the places she shouldn't).

Lol! Yep. Yeah it's normal for families here to take on foreign students. It's more common with European students (simply because they're closer I suppose) and usually it's an exchange. For instance my cousin recently had a German student stay with her and then she went back with her to stay with her family in Germany.

There's tons of sight-seeing in London. Museums, monuments, etc. Does Britt like musicals? The West End would be a good experience to catch a show. Something like Phantom of the Opera has been playing in the same theatre for years and you can virtually pop down anytime for an afternoon matinee rather than only a Saturday night or something.

Getting around London is an experience too. Manic, but strangely easy and logical with the subway trains. You can get all over the city in no time.

Gunnar has been far more than I have, but I suppose that's usual when it's on your doorstep!  :laugh:

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »
[Gunnar has been far more than I have, but I suppose that's usual when it's on your doorstep!  :laugh:
Ain't that the truth! (But you have almost 30 years to catch up with me)