Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Library Loans  (Read 9109 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Library Loans
« on: January 31, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »

Ridgway Memorial Library
For the first time since my move to Kentucky... I decided to attempt a Weekend Movie Marathon. Now I do have some limitations. The majority of y collection is in storage... so no easy access. I stay in the living room of friends place... so not really 24/7 TV access... especially on the weekends. So what I decided to do is going with titles I borrow from the local library (See above)... The Ridgway Memorial Library.

There is some pluses here...
- Nice Selection
- Both Blu-ray and DVDs
-  Open 7 days a week (afternoons on Sundays)

Right now I have to watch:

Red Dawn (DVD)

Ted (Blu)

Oz the Great and Powerful (Blu)

I want to attempt to watch at least two of these before making my way to the library tomorrow.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Library Loans
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
     Red Dawn (2012/)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Dan Bradley
Writing:Kevin Reynolds (Original Material By), John Milius (Original Material By), Carl Ellsworth (Screenwriter), Jeremy Passmore (Screenwriter)
Length:93 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sequences of Intense War Violence and Action, and for Language
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Chris Hemsworth as Jed Eckert
Josh Peck as Matt Eckert
Josh Hutcherson as Robert Kitner
Adrianne Palicki as Toni Walsh
Isabel Lucas as Erica Martin
Connor Cruise as Daryl Jenkins

Plot:
Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Josh Hutcherson (The Hunger Games), and Isabel Lucas (Immortals) deliver a full arsenal of pulse-pounding excitement in this explosive action-adventure! The unsuspecting citizens of Spokane, Washington, wake up one morning to the shocking sight of foreign paratroopers dropping from the sky in a surprise attack on the United States. Soon the entire city is under enemy control, but a group of courageous teenagers has decided to fight back, waging an all-out war against the invaders, to take back their town — and their freedom!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I must admit I went into this one with a little too high of hopes. As I loved the original so much. I realize this isn't exactly ideal... but I couldn't help it. Luckily it didn't matter... as I enjoyed this remake quite a bit! Definitely more then worth the time put in to watch it. This one has a good story... lots of action. Just when you thought the fighting was done... well guess again! Time just flew by while I was watching it. I thought the cast did a great job. I liked all the characters. If you haven't had the chance to see this one yet... I highly recommend checking it out. I definitely plan on adding this one to my collection as soon as I possibly can. I feel like I could actually watch this one over again already!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:45:47 PM »
     Ted: Unrated (2012/United States)
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Seth MacFarlane
Writing:Seth MacFarlane (Story By), Seth MacFarlane (Screenwriter), Alec Sulkin (Screenwriter), Wellesley Wild (Screenwriter)
Length:112 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Mark Wahlberg (1971) as John Bennett
Mila Kunis as Lori Collins
Seth MacFarlane as Ted (Voice)
Joel McHale as Rex
Giovanni Ribisi as Donny
Patrick Warburton as Guy

Plot:
Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane delivers his signature boundary-pushing humor in the outrageous comedy-blockbuster critics are calling "hysterically funny!" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone)

John Bennett (Mark Wahlberg) is a grown man whose cherished teddy bear came to life as the result of a childhood wish...and hasn't left his side since. Can John's relationship with longtime girlfriend, Lori (Mila Kunis), move forward with his lovably profane buddy in the picture?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I tried to like this one... I really did. But unfortunately no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into it. I barely made it through the first half hour of the film. For me there was just too much unneeded profanity. Which is something I personally never found to be funny in any way. Don't get me wrong... I don't normally care if there is a lot of profanity in a film as long as it has more then that to offer. But in the case of this film... it seemed to be what they depended on for all their laughs. Granted I turned it off after the first half hour... but that first half hour was just torture trying to ge through.

My Rating:

ZERO
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:53:38 PM »
Don't know if I will watch any more today.... but think I may walk on down to the library and trade these two back in picking out something more for this weekend.
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:07:07 PM »
Well, I didn't feel that Ted would be something I would enjoy, so that review seems to confirm my suspicions. Not a fan of Seth MacFarlane anyway, but I usually like Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 11:16:15 PM »
I liked Mila Kunis since That '70s Show. She is the reason I tried to stick with Ted... but she just couldn't save it.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »
After my little walk to the library... I now have the choices of...

Super Buddies (Blu)

Repo Men (DVD)

Oz the Great and Powerful (Blu)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 01:24:14 AM »
     Oz the Great and Powerful (2013/United States)
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Sam Raimi
Writing:L. Frank Baum (Original Material By), Mitchell Kapner (Story By), Mitchell Kapner (Screenwriter), David Lindsay-Abaire (Screenwriter)
Length:130 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Sequences of Action and Scary Images, and Brief Mild Language
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
James Franco as Oz
Mila Kunis as Theodora/Wicked Witch of the West
Rachel Weisz as Evanora
Michelle Williams as Annie/Glinda
Zach Braff as Frank/Finley
Bill Cobbs as Master Tinker

Plot:
Disney's fantastical adventure Oz The Great And Powerful, from the director of the Spider-Man trilogy, follows Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics. When Diggs is hurled away to the vibrant Land of Oz, he thinks he's hit the jackpot – until he meets three witches (Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams), who aren't convinced he's the great wizard everyone's expecting. Reluctantly drawn into epic problems facing Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it's too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity – and even some wizardry – Oscar transforms himself into the great Wizard and a better man as well.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy
  • Disney Second Screen

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one this evening.... since I been curios about it since I first heard it was coming out. I found this one to be entertaining... and some of the visuals are simply gorgeous. I thought James Franco was great as Oz... and Mila Kunis was fantastic as the Wicked Witch of the West. I will be honest... it did take me a little bit to get into the story... but once I did I was glued to the set. If you haven't seen this one yet... give it a chance... I recommend it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »

After another walk to the library... I now have the choices of...

Super Buddies (Blu)

Repo Men (DVD)

42: The Jackie
Robinson Story
(DVD)

Big Miracle (Blu)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:23:45 PM »
     42: The Jackie Robinson Story (2013/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Brian Helgeland
Writing:Brian Helgeland (Writer)
Length:128 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Thematic Elements Including Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson
Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey
Nicole Beharie as Rachel Robinson
Christopher Meloni as Leo Durocher
Ryan Merriman as Dixie Walker
Lucas Black as Pee Wee Reese

Plot:
In 1946, Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford), owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers, took a stand against Major League Baseball's infamous color line when he signed Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) to the team. The deal put both men in the crosshairs of the public, the press and even other players. Facing unabashed racism from every side, Robinson was forced to demonstrate tremendous courage and let his talent on the field win over fans and his teammates - silencing his critics and forever changing the world by changing the game of baseball.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
OK... this was a real disappointment. Not that it was a bad film. I enjoyed every second of what I saw of it. But about 40 minutes into the film the movie started messing up... and it got so bad you couldn't even watch it. This is a downside to getting films at a place like the library. People tend not to treat those discs with any respect. So unfortunately I can only review this film based on the little bit of it I seen. But going by those 40 minutes I feel comfortable recommending this one. I know I will be looking for it so I can see the rest of it!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 12:50:57 AM »
    Big Miracle (2012/United States)
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Ken Kwapis
Writing:Jack Amiel (Screenwriter), Michael Begler (Screenwriter), Thomas Rose (Original Material By)
Length:107 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Language
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
John Pingayak as Malik
Ahmaogak Sweeney as Nathan
Johnie Chase as Roy
Ishmael Angalook Hope as Bud
Othniel "Anaqulutuq" Oomittuk, Jr. as Inupiat Whaler
John Krasinski as Adam Carlson

Plot:
Drew Barrymore and John Krasinski star in this incredible rescue adventure – the amazing true story that inspired the world and captured the hearts of millions. When a family of whales is trapped by rapidly forming ice in the Arctic Circle, a small-town reporter (Krasinski) and an animal-loving volunteer (Barrymore) rally an unlikely coalition of Alaskan natives, oil tycoons and the Russian and American military to set aside their differences and free the whales before it's too late. Kristen Bell, Dermot Mulroney and Ted Danson costar in this charming feel-good movie that the whole family can enjoy!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
When I saw this one at the library... I got it because Drew Barrymore is in it. That plus the fact that I enjoy a good film based on true stories. and this was definitely a good one. While I have seen better films of it's type (Dolphin Tale comes to mind)... this one is well worth the time put in to watch it. And for me personally there is the plus that Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars) is also in this film. As I am a big fan of her's as well.

My Rating:
Pete