Author Topic: Reviews and ramblings by Gunnar  (Read 272665 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Reviews and ramblings by Gunnar
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »
TitleShoot First Die Later (816018-010531)
DirectorFernando Di Leo
ActorsLuc Merenda, Richard Conte, Delia Boccardo, Raymond Pellegrin, Gianni Santuccio
Produced1974 in Italy
Runtime94 minutes
AudioItalian PCM Mono, English PCM Mono
SubtitlesEnglish
OverviewDesperately sought after and never before released worldwide Rarovideo is proud to be releasing the tough, exciting, dramatically potent, well acted and action packed film, Shoot first, Die Later which is known as one of the most impressive Italian crime/police movies ever made. Luc Merenda gives the performance of his career as a highly regarded police detective who is taking syndicate money in exchange for departmental favors. His father, a simple man, also works for the department but on a lower rung; he isn't jealous of his son, but rather proud of him, little knowing that he's a crooked cop. A series of events leads the young detective to ask his father for a favor (he wants a certain police report that is desired by the syndicate) and it doesn't take long for the detective's father to realize his son is on the take... which leads to numerous complications.
My thoughtsI'm glad they didn't translate the original title of this film literally into English, because it contains a spoiler. But since the overview already let the cat out of the bag, so to speak, I guess I can reveal it. Il poliziotto è marcio translates into The cop is rotten.

The film starts out looking like a standard Italian crime movie, with a robbery and a pretty exciting car chase. But eventually it turns into more of a drama when we realize that the good cop isn't so good, and things start to get ugly. It's quite a bit more bleak than the usual spaghetti crime thriller, but despite that - or perhaps because of that - it's a pretty good movie.

Ideally you should watch this in Italian (with English subtitles, if needed), but the English dubbing is for the most part quite good. The subtitles seem to be transcribed from the English dialog rather than a translation of the Italian dialog. Since I don't speak Italian I can't tell how much they differ.

This is my only movie directed by Fernando Di Leo, but it makes me want to check out what else he has done.
My rating3,5 out of 5

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »
TitleFrankenstein and the Monster From Hell (883316-857052)
DirectorTerence Fisher
ActorsPeter Cushing, Shane Briant, Madeline Smith, David Prowse, John Stratton
Produced1973 in United Kingdom
Runtime93 minutes
AudioEnglish Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary Dolby Digital Mono
SubtitlesEnglish
OverviewBaron Frankenstein is dead, right? That's precisely what he wants folks to think. He's had it up to here with a public that doesn't appreciate the trouble a mad scientist goes through to snatch good body parts. To carry on his work, he holes up in a place where the possibilities are utterly maddening: a home for the criminally insane. A hand here. A brain there. True to form, the Baron (Peter Cushing) keeps his gruesome creation (David Prowse, widely known for his later portrayals of Darth Vader) in stitches in this sixth and final frightfest in Hammer Films' Frankenstein cycle.
My thoughtsIt's been a very long time since I saw this movie before. I liked it a lot better now the second time around than I did at that time. For some reason I think I actually liked it better than the film really deserves.

It's Peter Cushing's last outing as Dr. Frankenstein, and it's the last film that Terence Fisher directed. Cushing looks awfully haggard. He had lost his wife two years earlier, and apparently he took that very hard. He still gives a very good performance, though.

I never liked Shane Briant in the role of Dr. Frankenstein's young apprentice. He just seemed totally miscast to me. And Dave Prowse as the monster... Well, you don't see much of him under the makeup and the monster suit. And that hairy suit looks just like what it is – a suit.

Apart from Cushing, the best performances come from some really good actors in some bit parts. Patrick Troughton as a grave robber and Bernard Lee as an inmate in the asylum, for example. One can only wonder how ex-Doctor Who and Bond's ”M” ended up in bit parts like these?

The script – by Hammer producer Anthony Hinds, using the pseudonym John Elder – is a bit talky, but still quite exciting. Some has called it boring, but I disagree with that. The ending is a bit weak, and seemed to open for a sequel that never materialized. But thankfully it doesn't include the so much overused cleansing by fire or explosion.

So, I have no real ”excuse” for why I give this a 4 out of 5. It's probably more than it deserves, so maybe I was just in the right mood at the right time for this movie. And then of course it has Peter Cushing, and he is always worth watching.
My rating4 out of 5

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »
The Witches x 2

Yesterday I watched two movies named ”The Witches”. They have nothing in common except their name, but I thought I might review them together anyway.

TitleThe Witches (7-321900-006712)
DirectorNicolas Roeg
ActorsAnjelica Huston, Mai Zetterling, Jasen Fisher, Jane Horrocks, Anne Lambton
Produced1990 in United Kingdom
Runtime68 minutes
AudioEnglish Dolby Digital 2-Channel Stereo
SubtitlesEnglish
OverviewFrom Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to The Wizard of Oz, many classic tales through the centuries wouldn't be half as exciting without the devious doings of a witch. Now add another to the venerable tradition of stories that deliver family fun every witch way, a collaboration combining the effects wizardry of executive producer Jim Henson and the imagination of Willy Wonka creator Roald Dahl.

Academy Award™ winner Anjelica Huston won the Los Angeles and National Society of Film Critics Best Actress Awards for her marvelous work as the Grand High Witch in this enchanting fable directed by Nicolas Roeg. Jasen Fisher plays Luke, the nine-year-old who must foil the plans of a society of witches to turn the world's children into mice. It won't be easy: they've already transformed him into one! But some big bad witches may be no match for the resourcefulness of a single tiny rodent.
My thoughtsThis is a fun little story. Basically a fairy tale. It mixes real mice and puppet mice, and it's pretty obvious which is which (no witch-pun intended). Jasen Fisher is ok as the little boy, but the real stars of the picture are Mai Zetterling as the grandmother and Anjelica Huston as the grand high witch.

The opening of the film takes place in Bergen, Norway, and I liked that they had actually gone there to shoot on location. The rest of the film takes place mostly in an English hotel, and much of it was shot in and around an actual hotel in Cornwall.

The film is a little bit scary in parts, so probably not suitable for the youngest children. Rated PG in the US. Otherwise quite a fun family film. I thought it was quite good.
My rating3,5 out of 5

TitleThe Witches (5-055201-825896)
DirectorCyril Frankel
ActorsJoan Fontaine, Kay Walsh, Alec McCowen, Ann Bell, Ingrid Brett
Produced1966 in United Kingdom
Runtime91 minutes
AudioEnglish PCM Mono
SubtitlesEnglish
OverviewOriginally released in 1966, THE WITCHES is an unforgettably chilling pastoral horror from legendary British production company HAMMER.  Adapted for the screen by NIGEL KNEALE (The Quatermass Experiment) it also stars JOAN FONTAINE (Rebecca, Suspicion) in her last major film role.

Gwen Mayfield, an English schoolteacher working as a missionary in Africa, suddenly finds herself being victimised by a tribe of local witch doctors.  Exposed to the deadly powers of the occult she's left deeply traumatised.  In an effort to recover Gwen takes up a position in a rural school within the British countryside.  But the idyllic village surroundings become increasingly sinister as Gwen begins to uncover a nightmarish web of dark and satanic secrets.
My thoughtsOne IMDb review said ”For Joan Fontaine Or Hammer Completists Only”. Well, I'm neither. While I like a lot of Hammer films, I'm not a completist, and I was never a huge fan of Joan Fontaine.

This is a horror film that has a bit of noir feeling. It has its moments, but is let down by the silly voodoo ceremony ending. Not Nigel Kneale's finest hour, in my opinion. And I wonder if this couldn't have been a lot more effective in the hands of a better director than Cyril Frankel.

While I like that many Hammer titles are now released on blu-ray, there are plenty of other titles that I feel would be more deserving of a high-def release.
My rating2,5 out of 5

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »
TitleGold (5-060082-518430)
DirectorPeter R. Hunt
ActorsRoger Moore, Susannah York, Ray Milland, Bradford Dillman, John Gielgud
Produced1974 in United Kingdom
Runtime124 minutes
AudioEnglish PCM Mono
SubtitlesNone
OverviewRoger Moore and Susannah York star in Wilbur Smith`s explosive 1974 international conspiracy thriller, set in the South African goldfields and directed by Peter Hunt (On Her Majesty`s Secret Service).

A ruthless global cabal of financial investors plan to manipulate the price of gold on the world market - by sabotaging one of South Africa`s top gold mines and flooding it with millions of gallons of water. All they need is someone to take the blame. Manager Rod Slater (Roger Moore) seems the perfect choice. He s brash, rough and impulsive - just the sort of man to make a fatal mistake. As Slater embarks on an affair with Terry (Suzannah York), the heiress granddaughter of mine owner Hurry Hirschfeld (Ray Milland), the conspiracy tightens all around him and thousands of lives hang by a thread...

Based on a best-selling novel by Wilbur Smith and filmed entirely on location in South Africa, Gold is an unforgettable thriller with a breath-taking climax and a fantastic cast which also includes John Gielgud and Bradford Dillman.
My thoughtsA disaster movie and a conspiracy plot. That's not bad. The thing that bothered me just a bit was that it seemed just a tad too ”Bond-ish”. With Moore in the lead, Peter Hunt as director and John Glen as second unit director, is it any wonder? Oh, yeah, the titles were designed by Maurice Binder and it has a rather Bondian title song.

I was also a bit disappointed in Suzannah York. I've liked her in several films, but here she doesn't spark at all, and there doesn't seem to be any chemistry between her and Roger Moore.

But that's just minor grumbles. I found the film to be quite exciting, if a tad long. Ray Milland, Braford Dillman and John Gielgud were all very good. And Roger Moore, of course. The villain, played by Bernard Horsfall, was perhaps a little too villanous. You just knew early on that he wasn't going to make it. But hey, when the villain is really ”boo-able” you get some satisfaction of seeing him coming to a bad end, don't you?

The blu-ray looks really good in proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio. And the LPCM audio sounds good too. Recommended!
My rating4 out of 5

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
TitlePacific Rim (5-051892-123969)
DirectorGuillermo Del Toro
ActorsCharlie Hunnam, Diego Klattenhoff, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day
Produced2013 in United States
Runtime131 minutes
AudioEnglish DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
SubtitlesChinese, English, French, Italian, Korean, Dutch, Thai
OverviewWhen legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenceless in the face of the relentless Kaiju.

On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes - a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi) - who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind's last hope against the mounting apocalypse.
My thoughtsFull of sound and fury, signifying nothing. That's from Macbeth, but it sums up this film pretty well, I think.

I must admit that I had some misgivings before viewing it. A friend of mine thought it was absolutely perfect. And I know that his taste and mine are often diametrically opposed. Anything with lots of CGI, and he's all over it. But when I offered him a free copy of The Guns of Navarone he just sneered and said ”Why? It has no CGI effects!”

But then again, sometimes he likes films that I actually find very good, too, so I thought I'd give this one a chance. And Guillermo Del Toro usually makes films that I like. But not this one. In my eyes it was all style and no substance. Very impressive style, I have to admit, but that doesn't make it a good movie. Not for me.

Of the actors, only Idris Elba impressed me. I really liked him in the British TV show Luther, and I thought he was very good here as well.

So, if you're impressed by CGI special effects, this is a good movie for you. If not, well maybe not so much. I'm giving it three stars because it was darn impressive, but that's being generous.
My rating3 out of 5

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2013, 03:11:33 AM »
Thanks for that review Gunner ... Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing is exactly what i got from the previews and why i have not even bothered to see it when it has been on TV.  I am glad i was not wrong.
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2013, 09:22:55 AM »
Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing is exactly what i got from the previews
Yeah, that's the way I felt, too, but I expected something better from the actual film since I have liked Del Toro's earlier work. I guess I should have trusted my instancts...  :-[

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
TitleEpic (5-039036-062473)
DirectorChris Wedge
ActorsBlake Anderson, Aziz Ansari, Allison Bills, Jim Conroy, Todd Cummings
Produced2013 in United States
Runtime102 minutes
AudioEnglish DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, Audio Descriptive Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1, Other Dolby Digital 5.1, Czech Dolby Digital 5.1, Slovak Dolby Digital 5.1, Other Dolby Digital 5.1, Turkish Dolby Digital 5.1
SubtitlesEnglish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Croatian, Slovakian, Czech, Turkish
OverviewFrom the creators of Ice Age comes the year’s funniest, most exhilarating animated adventure! Transported to a magical world, a teenager (Amanda Seyfried) is recruited by a nature spirit, Queen Tara (Beyoncé Knowles), to help the “Leafmen” save their forest from evil warriors. The whole family will love this fast-paced thrill-ride, with its astonishing animation and an all-star voice cast that includes Colin Farrell, Oscar® Winner Christoph Waltz* and Steven Tyler!
My thoughtsI'm not a big fan of good-vs-evil stories where the good (”we”) are all good and the evil (”they”) are all evil. It's a very destructive view of the world that has caused a lot of grief (and still does). Yes, it's a fairy tale, and it's a common theme in many fairy tales, but I'm sure that it influences us in real life.

Still, I cannot dislike every story that has this theme. But it has to have some really good redeeming features to weigh up for it. This one doesn't. Not enough for me to really care for it.

Sure, the animation is good, but not spectacular. The voice actors are ok, but again not spectacular. There is just no ”wow” in it for me. I won't go as far as to say it's a bad film. I'm sure lots of people will like it. But it's just not my cup of tea.
My rating2,5 out of 5

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »
TitleA Hard Day's Night (065935-140146)
DirectorRichard Lester
ActorsJohn Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Wilfrid Brambell
Produced1964 in United Kingdom
Runtime88 minutes
AudioEnglish Dolby Digital 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1
SubtitlesEnglish
OverviewThis strikingly original classic captures all the fun, excitement and unforgettable music of John, Paul, George and Ringo at the height of Beatlemania! It's a wildly irreverent day in the life of the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band! As they prepare for a big TV appearance, the Beatles perform their songs, look for adventure… and try in vain to keep Paul's mischief-making grandfather out of trouble… all while avoiding hordes of screaming fans! Packed with all-time Beatle favorites including "A Hard Day's Night," "All My Loving," "Can't Buy Me Love," "I Should Have Known Better," "She Loves You," and "Tell Me Why," director Richard Lester's groundbreaking motion picture collaboration with the "Fab Four" is itself a treasured piece of rock history that remains influential to this day! This collector's edition includes "Give Me Everything!" - a companion anthology to The Beatles' first film - featuring hours of rare and new material.

Songs Include:
I'll Cry Instead
A Hard Day's Night
I Should've Known Better
Can't Buy Me Love
If I Fell
And I Love Her
I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
Ringo's Theme (This Boy)
Tell Me Why
Don't Bother Me
I Wanna Be Your Man
All My Lovin'
She Loves You
My thoughtsIt was the summer of 1964. I was 17. My first trip abroad. Four weeks in London. I watched the girls queuing in front of the London Pavilion to see The Beatles in A Hard Day's Night. “Bah” I thought, “I wouldn't queue to see that crap”. Well when I got back home to Stockholm curiosity got the better of me, and I went to my local cinema to see what all the hoopla was about. By the second song (“I should have known better”) I was sold. And I have been a Beatles fan ever since.

Next year marks the 50th anniversary of the film. But I couldn't wait for that. It's been 10 years since I last saw it, so I felt that it was time again. For those who were too young to experience the film at the time of release, I guess it's hard to understand what an impact it had. It set a style that would be copied again and again. It's kind of a mockumentary and farce mix, with some of The Beatles  greatest songs. I still get goosebumps when I watch the film, even though some of the comedy bits may seem a bit dated now. But the film as a whole is a landmark in cinema history.

Need I say that I love this film?
My rating4.5 out of 5

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2013, 04:22:19 AM »
I could not stand all the nonsense either .. but I loved their music.  And lots of other new sounds coming out (or that I could find).  It was August 22, 1965 when i got to see them (the only time i saw them all of them together) The Beatles in Portland, Oregon.  Second show was incredible.  And what supporting acts.  From the linked page ... 'The support acts on the bill were Brenda Holloway and the King Curtis Band, Cannibal & The Headhunters, Sounds Incorporated, and the Young Rascals."

But i really wish all the screaming wasn't going on.
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2013, 01:34:52 PM »
TitleTerror from Beneath the Earth (884501-139618)
DirectorChristopher R. Mihm
ActorsMike Cook, Elizabeth Kaiser, Michael Kaiser, Shannen McDonough, Elliott Mihm
Produced2009 in United States
Runtime68 minutes
AudioEnglish Dolby Digital 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary Dolby Digital 2-Channel Stereo
SubtitlesEnglish
OverviewThe filmmaker who brought you The Monster of Phantom Lake and Cave Women on Mars has done it again! Christopher R. Mihm presents another as-authentic—as-possible tribute to the "creature features" of the 1950’s!

After years of underground atomic testing, one of the animals living within the Wisawa caves has undergone a radical and unimaginably horrible transformation! While exploring the caves, Dr. Vincent Edwards (Mike Cook) and colleague Rosemary Bennett (Stephanie Mihm) stumble across evidence in the disappearance of local children. After reporting the find to the authorities, Dr. Edwards and Rosemary are tapped to lead a rescue attempt. Along with Sheriff George Elliott (Justen Overlander) and the children's father, Stan Johnson (Daniel R. Sjerven), the rescue party quickly comes to the realization that if the caves don't get them, whatever unseen terror lurking in the shadows just might!
My thoughtsSince 2006 Christopher R. Mihm has written/produced/directed one  film a year. It started with The Monster of Phantom Lake, and his latest cinematic effort is The Giant Spider. Terror from Beneath the Earth was made in 2009.

I guess most of his films could best be described as advanced home movies. They star Mihm's family and friends. None of them should give up their day jobs for acting. Still, these films have a certain charm. They are made with a love for 50's B-movies.

To date I have seen three of his films, the first, the latest and this one. The latest, The Giant Spider, actually has some qualities that makes it look almost professional. The same cannot be said for the two others I have seen. So you really can't judge them on the same scale as professional films.

Terror from Beneath the Earth takes place in just two locations; the sheriff's office and the Wisawa caves. By home movie standards, the cave set is quite good. I wish I could say the same about the ”creature”. It looks like a really ratty Halloween costume. And since the creature action is pretty much the only action – the rest of the movie is just talk – that's disappointing.

If you see this movie for what it is, an amateur production with a love for old b&w creature movies, it can be quite entertaining. If this had been a serious professional production I would have given it a half point. But for what it is, I'm giving it two and a half.
My rating2.5 out of 5

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »
TitleThe Killer That Stalked New York (043396-424661)
DirectorEarl McEvoy
ActorsEvelyn Keyes, Charles Korvin, William Bishop, Dorothy Malone, Lola Albright
Produced1950 in United States
Runtime76 minutes
AudioEnglish Dolby Digital Mono
SubtitlesNone
OverviewSheila Bennet (Evelyn Keyes, Here Comes Mr Jordan) returns to New York from Cuba with $40,000 in stolen diamonds, as well as something even worse — a deadly case of smallpox. Being trailed by both a treasury agent (Barry Kelley, The Asphalt Jungle) and a public health doctor (William Bishop, Top Gun, 1955), Sheila continues on the run, spreading the disease around an unknowing town. While Sheila is unaware of the severity of her illness, she is also fearful of her conniving husband, Matt (Charles Korvin, Berlin Express), who is looking to take the diamonds for himself.
My thoughtsFor some reason, Hollywood often seems to create similarly themed movies at the same time. This movie was made about the same time as Elia Kazan's Panic in the Streets. That one was about the bubonic plague, this one is about smallpox. This one was made on a lower budget, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's inferior.

It's a dark film noir with solid acting for the most part. Among the uncredited performances I'd like to mention Walter Burke as the rather slimy bellhop, and Jim Backus (Gilligan's Island) as one of the smallpox victims.

I found this film quite exciting. We may have other diseases to worry about today, but the theme is as topical today as it was back then. Recommended.
My rating3,5 out of 5
Trailer

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
Looking at upcoming releases at Amazon UK, I noticed a blu-ray release of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds - The New Generation: Alive On Stage. Being a long time fan of the record album, I was intrigued. But I noticed that they had replaced Richard Burton's narration with Liam Neeson. I was truly disappointed. When they had gone to so much trouble to incorporate Burton's narration into the original stage production, why on earth would they replace it? Now, I have nothing against Neeson, but Burton is so iconic and an integral part of the experience of the record. So anyway, this lead me to dig out the original 2006 show from my archive and watch it once again. And...

TitleJeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds: Live on Stage! (5-050582-456738)
DirectorDavid Mallet
PerformersLewis McCleod, Richard Burton, Justin Hayward, Alexis James, Anna-Marie Wayne
Conducted by Jeff Wayne
Produced2006 in United Kingdom
Runtime110 minutes
AudioEnglish Dolby Digital 2-Channel Stereo, English Dolby Digital 5.1, English DTS 5.1
SubtitlesFrench, German, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch
OverviewFilmed at Wembley Arena on 25th April, 2006, The War of the Worlds Live is a spectacular mix of live music, theatre, multi-media and visual arts on a grand scale. It combines the brilliance of the original performers including Jeff Wayne, Justin Hayward, Chris Thompson and even the late Richard Burton ('In Sight and Sound') along with a brand new cast, the 10-piece Black Smoke Band, the 48-piece ULLAdubULLA Strings and an unforgettable fully operating 30ft Martian Fighting Machine!
My thoughtsFor some reason I never bought Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds on LP when it was released, but I had of course heard parts of it. I rectified this when it was released on CD, and listened to it many times. I thought it was brilliant. So when the 2006 stage show was released on DVD it was a no-brainer. And I loved it! I still do. I get goosebumps every time I watch the show. It so brilliant. It is truly a one of a kind show.

It's about half a century since I read the book, but I think I can safely say that this show is more true to the book than any of the film versions (and there are at least four – depending on which ones you count - plus a tv series).

I don't hand out 5's lightly, but this DVD could have been a 5. The only reason I only give it 4.5 is that the music on a few occasions tend to drown out the narration, and there are no English subtitles. The album was better mixed. But that's a very minor complaint. One has no problem understanding what's going on. Judging from the reviews of the new version, I'd say it's better to stick with the original even if it's not available on BD. Essential viewing!
My rating4.5 out of 5

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »
Wow again it seems like you are writing my reviews <G>.  Except that I was lucky enough to be turned on to the lp when it was first release at a friends house in Munich.  Alway being a fan of Moody Blues and Thin Lizzy (and who isn't?) the lp became one of my favorites.  Then this live production ... media madness.  Wow they did it very very well. 

I am very happy you gave it a 4.5, it really deserves it.
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2013, 07:23:29 PM »
Wow again it seems like you are writing my reviews <G>.
Maybe I should get paid for writing your reviews for you...?  ;D