Author Topic: Oh Wow!  (Read 1185 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Oh Wow!
« on: March 28, 2008, 11:52:04 PM »
Not sure if many of you remember when I watched the classic movie Carnival of Souls... on which I really enjoyed a lot. Here is what I said about it...

Carnival of Souls (1962)
Mary Henry is enjoying the day by riding around in a car with two friends. When challenged to a drag, the women accept, but are forced off of a bridge. It appears that all are drowned, until Mary, quite some time later, amazingly emerges from the river. After recovering, Mary accepts a job in a new town as a church organist, only to be dogged by a mysterious phantom figure that seems to reside in an old run-down pavilion. It is here that Mary must confront the personal demons of her spiritual insouciance.

My Thoughts:
As soon as I popped this one in it looked vaguely familiar. Turns out at some point I did see this one before... not sure if I caught it on cable one evening... or if I watched this disc shortly after I got it... but I did remember it more and more as I went on. It is a movie that I enjoyed a lot! I would love to get a better version of it. The quality on this one left much to be desired... but it was better then I was expecting it to be. It felt like I was watching a VHS tape that someone had recorded... on the slowest speed. I also had to turn up my volume quite a bit since the audio was rather low. but other then that it was just fine. But as I said... I will be looking for a better version on this one... hopefully with some extras!

Anyway... James had me drooling over the Criterion Collection version after that post. Today while chatting with a good friend of mine I told her I was thinking about watching it again this weekend for my classics marathon. But she ended up talking me out of it... as she got me an early (2 months early) Birthday present.... yup.. she got me...

Only problem... she got it for me at amazon marketplace... slightly used (like new)... so I need to check it out when it gets here to be sure it is all good... so she needed to tell me about it. I am so hoping it will go without a problem... she did tell me it is advertised as like new... and the guy has a 100% positive rating. I am so excited!

But now I am not so sure I want to watch it this weekend when I should be seeing the criterion version so soon.  :P
Pete