• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Arrow
« on: October 29, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »

Arrow @ Wikipedia
Arrow @ IMDb

Five years ago a yacht sank in the middle of the ocean. Aboard were billionaire Robert Queen and his son Oliver, the girl Oliver was sleeping with (who's not his girlfriend) and at least one business partner of Robert's. Only Oliver survived and he washed up on the shore of an island where he lived for the following years.

Now he's back in his hometown but his life has changed. On the surface he's still the same playboy that he was before the accident (if it was one) trying to get back into the life of the high society and to reconcile with his former girlfriend Laurel who lost her sister on that yacht.

Beneath the surface Oliver has come back with a mission: To free the city of the corrupt and powerful who are destroying it. He becomes the Green Arrow, a mysterious vigilante who hunts down the people on his list until they're either properly prosecuted by the law or dead.

Both his lives aren't made any easier by the fact that his mother is somehow involved in the accident but also hired a trained bodyguard for her son (which makes it harder to slip away) but also the fact that his former girlfriend Dinah "Laurel" Lance is a district attorney and her father (who lost a daughter that fateful day) is a police detective who holds a serious grudge against both Oliver and the Green Arrow.

This Green Arrow is much more dark than his Smallville counterpart. He's not above killing his enemies albeit they've already turned it down from the Pilot. Anyone familiar with the comic book series (which basically portrays a modern-day Robin Hood) will already have notices some familiar names: Dinah Lance, the future Black Canary and future (ex-)wife of Oliver's, Deadshot and Tommy Merlyn.

But even without that knowledge the show works very well. It's dark in tone and style and similar to Nolan's interpretation of Batman.

It doesn't feel much like a comic book adaptation except for the fact that in modern days a bow wouldn't be the weapon of choice for anyone, especially for short-distance shoot-outs.

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Arrow
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »
Thanks! Forgot about that one. I heard about it a few month ago and wanted to check it out when it started to air.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
I wanted to check this one out and I keep forgetting.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
I have seen the first three episodes now and I must say that I enjoy it. Can't wait for the next episode. The last episode ended on a cliffhanger.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »
I have these recorded on my DVR but haven't watched any of them yet. Looking forward to them though.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 06:06:53 AM »
I'll have to find the time it is on here and set my DVR.

I did see something earlier tonight - I didn't read the whole story - but I think that John Barrowman - From Torchwood and Doctor Who - is going to be in at least one episode. 

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »
Is anyone still following this series? I stopped watching after the eighth episode because I got bored with this series. Am I missing out on something?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 08:23:29 PM »
I really enjoy it. It's certainly another take on the GA than either of the original comic books or Smallville. Let's just say that this GA wouldn't drink himself half to dead just because he killed Lex Luther like Smallville's GA did.

And even though I've been burned by mysterious islands with multiple parties and different agendas before *cough* LOST *cough* I'm really curious to find out what's going on on the island (in the past) and what John Barrowman's group is really up to.

But on the other hand, I've come to enjoy the new Beauty and the Beast for what it is as well, so ...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »
I really enjoyed the first five or so episodes. But then somehow I lost interest in it. I may give it another chance.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »
I've seen the first 7 episodes (#8 showing tonite here in Sweden).
So far I like it, but like DJ Doena I'm a bit apprehensive that it's going to go Lost on us.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 07:39:36 PM »
I've seen the first 7 episodes (#8 showing tonite here in Sweden).
So far I like it, but like DJ Doena I'm a bit apprehensive that it's going to go Lost on us.
Last weeks was really good but I too fear that it is going to drift.  I wonder if series like this doesn't have its only real end-of-life expectancy?
Thank you
David