Author Topic: My Personal Horrorfest  (Read 13099 times)

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Personal Horrorfest
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 12:12:27 AM »

Title: Jaws: Universal 100th Anniversary
Year: 1975
Director: Steven Spielberg
Rating: PG
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Engelsk: DTS: Mono, Spansk: DTS: 5.1, Fransk: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles: Engelsk, Fransk, Spansk

Stars:
Roy Scheider
Robert Shaw
Richard Dreyfuss
Lorraine Gary
Murray Hamilton
Carl Gottlieb

Plot:
Directed by Academy Award® winnerº Steven Spielberg, Jaws set the standard for edge-of-your-seat suspense, quickly becoming a cultural phenomenon and forever changing the movie industry. When the seaside community of Amity finds itself under attack by a dangerous great white shark, the town's chief of police (Roy Scheider), a young marine biologist (Richard Dreyfuss) and a grizzled shark hunter (Robert Shaw) embark on a desperate quest to destroy the beast before it strikes again. Featuring an unforgettable score that evokes pure terror, Jaws remains one of the most influential and gripping adventures in motion picture history.

º1993 Best Director, Best Picture, Schindler's List; 1998 Best Director, Saving Private Ryan.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Feature Trailers
Slettede scener
Dokumentar
Gallery
Outtakes/Bloopers
BD-Live
Digital Copy
PocketBlu

My Review:
This is one of the movies i've been looking most forward to this marathon. Its many many years ago since i last watched it. And finally i got to check this blurayset out. And wow what a movie it is! I just love almost everything with the movie! The suspence, and THE MUSIC IS LEGENDARY! (imo) And ofcourse how they have done the whole story with the shark attacks, and with the shark itself. Let me just say this, i wouldnt be near that wather at all! And what a beast it is. I love the special efects in this one. And what they have done with the bluray is amazing aswell! The picture and sound is just amazing. For you guys that like this one (who doesnt?) and have HD, you should check this out on bluray! You will NOT regret it imo! Highly recommanded!
And i think this is going to be a slow week for me. With so much shiitake mushroom going on this week! I will try my best to get in a few movies this week tho.

My Rating:
5/6

Movie Count:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 12:22:32 AM »
I haven't seen Jaws since it was originally shown in the theater. After mentioning it in a post recently I decided to correct that, watching it again last weekend.

I agree with your review Thomas - I too love this movie.

I don't remember being aware of how vital music is to film until Jaws. John Williams changed all that for me with his score for this movie. I have never been the same.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 12:35:54 AM »
Nice! I'm glad you loved it aswell Kate! (Can i call you Kate?)
This movie is a classic for so many reasons (imo) but then again,
Steven Spielberg is a genious. And what John Williams have done
with this movie and its music, he changed that for me aswell.
But i think what he did with the music in this movie is some of the
best music made in a movie today. Its just so perfect for the movie.
It just fits perfect with everything :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 01:53:40 AM »
Can i call you Kate?
Just don't call her Katherine and you will be fine :laugh:

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »
Can i call you Kate?
Just don't call her Katherine and you will be fine :laugh:

Hehe, i wont! ;)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 07:28:25 PM »

Title: Inside
Year: 2008
Director: Phedon Papamichael
Rating: 16
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Fransk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: French, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Elizabeth Rice
Thomas Dekker
Kelly Blatz
Laura Allen
Adam Goldberg
Margo Harshman

Plot:
Four months before Christmas, Sarah and Matthieu Scarangelo were in a car crash, of which Sarah and her unborn baby were the only survivors. On Christmas Eve, Sarah stays home alone, where she grieves her husband and prepares to go to the hospital the next morning for the delivery. As night falls, a woman knocks on Sarah's door asking to use the phone. When she refuses, the woman reveals that she knows Sarah and tries to force her way in. Sarah calls the police; they inspect the home and determine the woman has left, but promise to keep watch over Sarah through the night. The woman returns and tries to take Sarah's unborn child, but Sarah locks herself in the bathroom. The strange woman torments Sarah through the night and kills all who try help her.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Bonus Trailers

My Review:
Well, this was a blind buy again. But it looked like it had potential. The story seemed interesting enough. And i watched the trailer after i bought it. That too looked decent! And now i got around to it. Its a French horror movie this btw. (and i really liked Martys, a French horror aswell! Highly recommanded that one) So put it in. And i just have to say one thing really. WOW
What a stupid movie, i didnt like what they did with the story. They could have done something good with the story, but instead dull and boring (IMO) the music was out of place alot of times. And i have to just ask. What did the makeup team do? Horrible makeup, you could see it was a fake on a mile distance. The blood scenes wasnt even good. The actors looked like they didnt want to be in the movie. This a movie i was very dissapointed with. A horror movie, where the tings that could go wrong. Did just go wrong! I highly recommand AGAINST watching this one (IMO) but thats me.

My Rating:
1/6

Movie Count:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 12:20:28 AM »

Title: The Omen
Year: 1976
Director: Richard Donner
Rating: Rated NR : Violence: Frequent Strong Horror; Other: Horror, Supernatural
Length: 111 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Fransk: DTS: 5.1, Italiensk: DTS: 5.1, Turkish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Kommentar: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Kun musikk: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Fransk, Hollandsk, Italiensk, Norsk, Svensk, Turkish, Kommentar

Stars:
Gregory Peck
Lee Remick
David Warner
Billie Whitelaw
Harvey Stephens
Patrick Troughton

Plot:
Briskly paced and breathtakingly evil, The Omen is the first film in one of the most chilling horror series of all time. When Kathy Thorn (Lee Remick) gives birth to a stillborn baby, her husband Robert (Gregory Peck) substitutes an orphaned infant for their own - unaware of the child's satanic origins.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Slettede scener
Dokumentar
Gallery
Picture-in-picture

My Review:
Hoho, there is something wrong with Damien!! I havent seen this one before. But just heard great things about it! But i got one quastion tho. Why does this kind of movies always has be connected or filmed in Rome Italy? Just asking.. But wow, what a movie really. I loved it, the story was nice and chilling. It had my attention trough out the whole movie. And the actors did a great job aswell. And what about Damien huh? Talk about twisted stuff. The Devils work? Well, alot of stuff happend trough out, wich had me glued to the screen the whole time. And the movie had it scary moments aswell. And they just made the storytelling in a perfect way. The music and makeup too. Wow, great!
But the sound on this blurayset could have been better IMO. (i havent seen the dvd, so i dont have anything to compare it with, but a bluray should have a better soundsystem IMO) but its an old movie. Wich they got the maximum out of. A franchise i cant wait to watch. Looking forward to the second movie in the series! A movie that i highly recommand you guys to check out if you allready havent seen it!

My Rating:
5/6

Movie Count:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 12:30:17 AM »
Why does this kind of movies always has be connected or filmed in Rome Italy?
Because it was the cinema european capital in the seventies and early eighties... Also because the ratio price/quality was the best in the world, Italian crews are well known to do a lot with almost nothing. By example it was the same in England in the sixties or here in Canada since the mid-nineties (and also in the seventies)...

Almost nothing professional is film in the USA since the cost are too high and the crews not that effective for the price.

Looking forward to the second movie in the series!
The second parts is as good if not better, the third parts is ok but feels too rushed and the fourth one doesn't exist in my alternate reality.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:34:38 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »
Thank you Sir for a great answer! I didnt know that at all.
Hopefully i will get some time tomorrow to watch the number 2
Specially after you said that!  :-[
A number 4? The remake you are talking about? Or is there a
"original" number 4? I know there was\is a remake from 2006(?)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 12:45:05 AM »
It isn't the remake it's a TV film made in 1991 who is mostly a cheap version of the original but with a girl... But Pete loved it so at least that "film" give us a reason to tease him :laugh:

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 12:54:15 AM »
Oh.. I just checked it out, and i cant say so much about it,
since i havent watched the two last movies yet. But with
"Damien" as a girl. And what i saw, i dont think i will be watching it.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 01:09:51 AM »
But it looks like i might reach my goal of 20 movies watched
before the October ends, if i'm lucky!  :-[
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »
Sure since you're going well, 17 movies in eight days isn't bad at all...
I do it since 5 years and I have just 8 mores than you... but I've no life wich kind of help :laugh:

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »
Thank you Jim, appreciate it! :D
You see, alot of stuff is going on this week and next week.
So i wont be able to watch what i want, and with me i
kinda have to be in the right mood for some movies.  But
i'll be happy with 20+ movies, and i'll try to beat that one
next year  :-[
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »
I haven't seen Jaws since it was originally shown in the theater. After mentioning it in a post recently I decided to correct that, watching it again last weekend.

I agree with your review Thomas - I too love this movie.
I also revisited Jaws just about a week ago. It was the first movie I ever called "my favorite"! It is such a lean machine of a movie, pushing forward at an excellent pace. It is still amazing how things worked out. had the mechanical shark worked better we would possible just have a cheap monster film... It is still among my favorites!