Author Topic: Addicted2DVD's Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 16810 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2DVD's Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
I never gotten around to watching anything else since watching Trick 'r Treat yesterday. Brittany will be home in about 2 and a half hours. It is her 4 day weekend. She is spending it at her grandmother's house. So I will have almost no access to the internet once she leaves. She comes back Monday evening.

So... unless my new computer arrives before then.... you probably won't see me online much till Tuesday. Don't worry... I will update you all with what I watch this weekend when I get back online... like I always do.

One plus. I got to borrow Brittany's Blu-ray player till she comes home. I will be able to watch the 4 Blu-ray movies I have in my collection this weekend! I also want to try a few discs that refused to play in my player... see if they will play in her's.  :thumbup:

With any luck my computer will arrive before hand... but if not... I will see you all on Tuesday. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2012, 01:19:03 AM »
Catch-Up Post
Here is what I watched over the extended weekend without a computer...

Movies:
Splice - While watching this one I wasn't sure I should add this to my horror marathon... then I watched the last half an hour.  It definitely took a horrific turn. I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Recommended! - 4/5
Red Riding Hood - This one is pretty good... I have seen better but definitely worth the time. - 3.5/5
Love Object - A bit slow... but had it's moments. 3/5
Automaton Transfusion - Not bad... but I was somehow expecting more. - 3.5/5
Underworld: The Awakening - I enjoyed it... but the previous films in the franchise was better. - 3.5/5
Scre4m - I liked where they went with the latest sequel. It is a fun watch... kept my attention with ease. - 4/5

TV Eps:
How I Met Your Mother: Season 1: Slutty Pumpkin - 4/5
Angel: Season 5: Life of the Party - 4/5
True Blood: Season 2 (12 Eps.) - 4.5/5
American Horror Story: Asylum: Season 2 Ep. 1: Welcome to Briarcliff - 4.5/5
True Blood: Season 3 (12 Eps.) - 4.5/5
True Blood: Season 4 Disc 1 (2 Eps.) - 4.5/5
The Walking Dead: Season 3 Ep 2: Sick - 5/5
Talking Dead: Season 2 Ep. 2: Sick - 4/5

Count:
Movies: 26
TV Eps: 121 Completed Goal: Oct. 11th
Other: 19 Completed Goal: Oct. 5th
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2012, 03:03:54 AM »
     The Hollow (2004/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
First Look Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Kyle Newman
Writing:Hans Rodionoff (Writer)
Length:83 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Kevin Zegers as Ian
Kaley Cuoco as Karen
Nick Carter as Brody
Ben Scott as The Headless Horseman
Stacey Keach as Claus Von Ripper

Plot:
Restless spirits stir this Hollow's Eve, beckoning Ian Cranston (Kevin Zegers, Dawn of the Dead), the last blood relative of Ichabod Crane, back to Sleepy Hollow. Thundering hooves unleash a wave of bone-chilling screams as the ghost of the Headless Horseman rides again! Ian must try to save the town and his girlfriend, Karen (Karley Cuoco, "8 Simple Rules") and determine wheather the sword-wielding stalker is their clownish classmate, Brody (Nick Carter, Backstreet Boys) in costume, or the dark rider himself. If it's truly the Headless Horseman...how do you kill what's already dead?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I am watching this one for Kaley Cuoco who I know from the series Charmed (Billie) and The Big Bang Theory (Penny). I originally bought this movie (about 5 yrs. ago) because of her being in it. That and because I always like the story of Sleepy Hollow. Nick Carter played a real jerk in the movie... and he did a better then I expected job. Not a great actor... but not terrible either. I think Kaley Cuoco did a fine job as well. I have mixed feelings about the pumpkin head on the Headless Horseman... it was some pretty cool graphics for sure... but there just seemed to be something slightly off about it. The movie itself is no more then a fun... leave your brain at the door.. popcorn movie. One that I really like a lot. Probably a little more then I should. The DVD itself is fine quality wise.... just nothing really offered in the line of extras. This is now the 5th time I watched this movie since I bought it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movies: 27
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2012, 03:06:49 AM »
I saw this on tv when it first aired. 
I've seen this at Walmart for $5 this year...I've almost gotten it twice.  I'll probably break down and get it here soon...and I'll blame Jon..just because.  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2012, 03:08:29 AM »
 :laugh:  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2012, 12:26:22 AM »
     Bud Abbott and Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein: Comedy Legends (1948/United States)
Director:Charles T. Barton
Writing:Robert Lees (Screenwriter), Frederic I. Rinaldo (Screenwriter), John Grant (Screenwriter)
Length:83 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Bud Abbott as Chick
Lou Costello as Wilbur
Lon Chaney, Jr. [Lon Chaney] as Lawrence Talbot
Bela Lugosi as Dracula
Glenn Strange as Monster

Plot:
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein continues the horror-comedy series and features "the boys" with their usual quota of familiar routines providing the backbone of the plot by becoming Count Dracula's victim for a brain transplant. Lon Chaney, Jr. appears as the Wolf Man along with Dracula played by Bela Lugosi and Glenn Strange as the Frankenstein monster.

Abbott and Costello, as railroad baggage clerks, receive a strange shipment—the last remains of Dracula and Frankenstein's monster. But this deadly duo is still very much alive. So when the shipment arrives at the House of Horrors, the Monsters are not in their crates but have disappeared to a secret hideaway island. Blamed for the disappearance, Abbott and Costello follow their trail to the island where not only do they meet up with Dracula (Bela Lugosi) and the Monster (Glenn Strange), but a Mad Scientist (Charles Bradstreet) who wants to switch Costello's brain with that of the Monster. With everyone chasing each other, the Wolf Man (Lon Chaney, Jr.) shows up to scare them all. In the end everything works out: Costello finds romance and the Monsters find their final resting places…or do they?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Today I felt like a good... classic comedy horror. So I grabbed this one. It is a lot of fun. I enjoyed every minute of it. This movie of course has a few of the great classic horror actors... playing roles they are famous for. There is even a brief special "appearance" of Vincent Price as The Invisible Man at the end... which I liked a lot. A great comedy-horror that I feel safe recommending to anyone.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movies: 28
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
     Bay Cove (1987)
IMDb |Trailer
Director:Carl Schenkel
Writing:R. Timothy Kring (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Tim Matheson as Jerry LeBon
Pamela Sue Martin as Linda LeBon
Barbara Billingsley as Beatrice Gower
Jeff Conaway as Josh
Woody Harrelson as Slater

Plot:
When Linda and Jerry LeBon move to the quiet and peaceful community of Bay Cove, they welcome the town's centuries old charm, virtually untouched by the conventions of modern life.

But something is different about the small village; something dark is lurking in the shadows. As Linda begins to explore, she discovers that all the townspeople are members of a deadly witch's coven - and as they await the reincarnation of their leader at the next full moon, they are searching for their next human sacrifice...

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
As with most TV Movies this has it's share of familiar faces from TV Series. In this one we have Pamela Sue Martin (The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries), Barbara Billingsley (Leave it to Beaver), Woody Harrelson (Cheers), Jeff Conway (Taxi), Nigel Bennett (Forever Knight) and James B. Sikking (Doogie Howser, M.D.). This is one of my favorite TV movies in my entire collection. I have now watched it 7 times in the last 6 years since I bought it. I found the story to be interesting. It is not as scary as I would like... but there is a few eerie scenes. Unfortunately the DVD itself leaves a lot to be desired. No extras what so ever... not even any trailers. The Audio and video quality is fine but nothing to get excited about. But I guess that is to be expected from a low budget DVD release.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movies: 29
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »
     Summer of Fear (1978/United States)
Artisan Home Entertainment
Director:Wes Craven
Writing:Glenn M. Benest (Screenwriter), Max A. Keller (Screenwriter), Lois Duncan (Original Material By)
Length:98 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Linda Blair as Rachel Bryant
Lee Purcell as Julia
Jeremy Slate as Tom Bryant
Jeff McCracken as Mike Gallagher
Jeff East as Peter Bryant

Plot:
From famed horror master Wes Craven comes a chilling thriller starring acclaimed actress Linda Blair!

When Rachel's cousin Julia comes to live with the family at the farm, unsettling things begin to occur. Casting an alluring spell over everyone she meets, Julia slowly lures everyone away from Rachel. Terrifying instances of the occult begin to take place, forcing Rachel to fight for survival against what is revealed to be a horrifying demonic presence!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is actually an old TV Movie. Another familiar face in this movie is Fran Drescher (The Nanny) who has a small part as Rachel's friend. Surprisingly she don't have that nasally voice in this that she is now so famously known for. Which makes watching her in this a little more bearable. This is actually one of the few movies I have dealing with witchcraft... at least compared to other horror sub-genres. Being a '70s TV movie there is of course no type of gore and most of the bad things that happens occur off screen. But it is a good story with characters you care about. I enjoyed this one quite a bit... I would recommend checking it out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movies: 30
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »
     Shadow Zone: The Undead Express (1996)
IMDb |Trailer
Echo Bridge Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Stephen Williams
Writing:Roy Sallows (Writer), J. R. Black (Original Material By)
Length:98 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Ron Silver as Valentine
Chauncey Leopardi as Zach
Natanya Ross as Gabe
Tony T. Johnson as J.T.
Sherry Miller as Mom

Plot:
Out of the darkness, the grim reaper appears in a graveyard among headstones and gargoyles. Elegantly cloaked, but masked by shadows, his eyes burn yellow as he tells us we all have a little evil inside us. Take Zach Kincaid...

A lonely and intense 14-year-old horror movie junkie, Zach (Chauncey Leopardi) is a good kid but a little confused as a result of his parents' recent break-up. Perhaps for this reason, he often tends to stretch the truth. His friends, J.T. Heffernan, a computer geek, and Gabrielle "Gabe" Lattanzi, a lovely, intelligent athlete, humor Zach, but know just how much to believe.

On the way home one weekend, Zach becomes lost on a deserted subway platform. When he stops for directions he is attacked, but recued in the nick of time by Valentine (Ron Silver), a self-styled vegetarian vampire from the turn of the century. Finding cold comfort in Valentine's assurance of protection, Zach runs for the first available train. Unfortunately he steps onto the Undead Express, which is full of vampires who are not, apparently, vegetarian...

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This one is another TV Movie. One that originally aired on Showtime. From what I read it was actually supposed to be the first movie in a series (think Masters of Horror) called Shadow Zone. I remember seeing this movie when it first aired. And I remembered always liking it...and I still enjoy every minute of it. I was kinda surprise that for a vampire movie you only get to see one single person get bit. But that is probably because this movie was made with younger teens and families in mind. It was kinda in the same vein (sorry for the bad pun!) as goosebumps... but maybe a little more spooky then that.

As for the DVD itself... it is put out by a lower-budget company... so unfortunately there is no extras what so ever on this release. Not even the trailer. Which as most of you know is a pet peeve of mine. The video and audio quality was good... not great but more then watchable.Over-all was definitely worth the time I put in to watch this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movies: 31
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »
     The Big Bang Theory: Season 6: The Holographic Excitation
Leonard tries a scientific approach to seducing Penny, while the gang celebrates Halloween at Stuart's comic-book store.

Stars:
Johnny Galecki as Leonard Hofstadter
Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper
Kaley Cuoco as Penny
Simon Helberg as Howard Wolowitz
Kunal Nayyar as Rajesh Koothrappali
Mayim Bialik as Amy

My Thoughts:
Last night there was a new Halloween episode of The Big Bang Theory. While I enjoyed it very much... thought it was a fun episode... I have come to expect a little more from this series. I don't know why... really don't have any complaints about the episode at all. I just went in expecting more I guess.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Eps: 122 Completed Goal: Oct. 11th
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2012, 06:46:48 PM »
     The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Third Season: Discs 2-5
The sexy and supernatural cast of The Vampire Diaries are back with a compelling 5-DISC 22-EPISODE SEASON THREE. As Stefan succumbs to Klaus, Damon and Elena wrestle with the guilt of their growing bond while they work together to bring Stefan back from the edge. And when Mikael the Original vampire hunter, Esther the Original witch and their children arise from their caskets to resolve a 1,000 year old power struggle, Mystic Falls becomes a battleground for World War Vampire, with Elena caught dead center between them – and, as always, between Damon and Stefan.

Episodes:
6. Smells Like Teen Spirit
7. Ghost World
8. Ordinary People
9. Homecoming
10. The New Deal
11. Our Town
12. The Ties That Bind
13. Bringing Out the Dead
14. Dangerous Liasons
15. All My Children
16. 1912
17. Break On Through
18. The Murder of One
19. Heart of Darkness
20. Do Not Go Gentle
21. Before Sunset
22. The Departed

Stars:
Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert
Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert

My Thoughts:
Over the last couple days I been concentrating on finishing off this set. I just watched the season finale...and I must say...I am still enjoying this series quite a bit. It took me a little while to get into this show... but once I did... I was hooked. I now watched all the episodes I have on DVD and can now concentrate on the season 4 (current season) episodes which are recorded on my DVR. Which I am looking forward to doing... as yet another season ended in a great cliffhanger.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Eps: 139 Completed Goal: Oct. 11th
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2012, 04:42:57 AM »
I enjoyed the Big Bang episode.  Sheldon's costume cracked me up.

I saw the Halloween episode of The Middle on Wednesday..that was pretty funny too.  I mostly saw The Office Halloween episode last night too..though I was doing other stuff, so I missed some stuff. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2012, 01:12:38 PM »
Catch-Up Mini-Reviews

Vampire Diaries: Season 4 Eps. 1,2,3 — These are the episodes from the current season that I recorded on my DVR. I am now up to date on this series. I am still enjoying the show. Though it does seem weird to have to wait for a week for the next episode now. 4/5

True Blood: Season 4 Disc 2 (2 Eps.) — They added witches into the mix this season. So far I am still enjoying the show very much. It took some twists and turns I am not too sure about yet... but time will tell. 4/5

Count:
TV Eps: 144 Completed Goal: Oct. 11th
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
     Jeff Dunham: Minding the Monsters
Comedian Jeff Dunham returns with a haunted house full of his hysterical entourage: Walter gets grumpier, Bubba J rises from the dead and Achmed the Dead Terrorist is dressed to kill! Also, each character stars in its own horror movie trailer.

My Thoughts:
This is a video I borrowed out of my brother's collection. I few years back I got Jeff Dunham's Christmas special and enjoyed very much... but for some reason it is still the only release of his I have in my collection. But when I saw my brother had his Halloween special I had to watch it! I enjoyed this one quite a bit as well... but I think the Christmas one was just a little funnier. Definitely a fun watch though.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Other: 20 Completed Goal: Oct. 5th
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »
     Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981/United States)
VCI Entertainment, Wizan Film Properties (United States)
Director:Frank De Felitta
Writing:J. D. Feigelson [J.D. Feigelson] (Screenwriter), J. D. Feigelson [J.D. Feigelson] (Story By), Butler Handcock (Story By)
Length:97 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Charles Durning as Otis P. Hazelrigg
Robert F. Lyons as Skeeter Norris
Claude Earl Jones as Philby
Lane Smith as Harless Hocker
Tonya Crowe as Marylee Williams

Plot:
When young Marylee Williams (Tonya Crowe) is found viciously mauled, all hell breaks loose in her small rural town. Officious Postmaster Otis P. Hazelrigg (Charles Durning) leads a gang of bigots in pursuit of the suspect; her mentally challenged friend Bubba Ritter (Larry Drake). Finding him hiding inside a scarecrow, they exact brutal mob "justice"...only to discover a tragic mistake! Now a strange apparition stalks the land seeking each of them out, as the legend of the Scarecrow begins.

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is only my second time watching this TV Movie. And I must say... I enjoyed it just as much this time as the first time I watched it. It has an interesting storyline that keeps your attention from beginning to the end.

The first thing I did when I popped in the DVD is watch the original CBS promo trailer. And wow... did that bring back some memories... as I used to watch a lot of those CBS Saturday Night Movies. So to me while it is just a little thing... I really like having this extra on the disc.

It was fun seeing all the familiar faces in this movie. I really enjoyed Larry Drake for what time he was in this one. And then there was Lane Smith who was Perry White on Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. Anyway... as I said... I enjoyed this one very much. I definitely can see myself watching this one again. If you never seen this one I definitely recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movies: 32
Other: 20 Completed Goal: Oct. 5th
Pete