Author Topic: ImportCDs.com  (Read 6482 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
ImportCDs.com
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:40:31 AM »
When PlanetAxel shut down I was devastated because they had been my favorite source for R1 DVDs. I started looking for new online stores and ended up buying some stuff from Amazon, but I never really cared for them.

A few fellow collectors at a Swedish forum directed my attention to ImportCDs.com. I have now bought from them a few times, and I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised.

Pros:
Good stock
Really good prices
Fast - usually ships within 24 hours.

Cons:
Not very well organised web site
In order to put titles in your wishlist you have to put them in your shopping cart and then transfer them.
Wishlist nowhere near as user friendly as PlanetAxel's

They seem to ship to Europe and remail them within EU. So far I have had no trouble with VAT.
They are definitely worth a look.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ImportCDs.com
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »
I have never heard of them. Thank you for the info.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »
Thanks Gunnar! I'll have a look at them.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »
Thanks! I will take a look. I also liked to use PlanetAxel because of their customer service and no trouble with VAT and import taxes.
I love Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de. But Amazon.com and Amazon.ca is not so good as a German customer because of the VAT and relative high shipping costs.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:33:56 PM »
I love Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de. But Amazon.com and Amazon.ca is not so good as a German customer because of the VAT and relative high shipping costs.

I usually order TV seasons on amazon.com. I wait until they dropped below $25. At this price they are below the €22 VAT threshold*. So when you order something for $25 + $6.50 shipping you end up with a conversion rate of pretty much 1:1 (right now $25 + $6.50 = €24.58).

If you want to pay the same in the UK you'll have to wait until the seaons drops to £18 (£18 + £1.78 = €24.72)

*When the package value (that excludes the shipping fee) is below €22 you don't pay VAT. If it is above that then you pay VAT on package value plus shipping fee.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:36:46 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:20:57 AM »
Thanks! I will take a look. I also liked to use PlanetAxel because of their customer service and no trouble with VAT and import taxes.
Assuming DVDs/Blu-rays are not considered Heavy Items, ImportCDs' shipping cost seem to be between DeepDiscount and Amazon. Their initial cost for "first unit shipped" is higher than either of the others and than each additional item matches DeepDiscount, whcih is lower than Amazon.

So, it will depend on the prices of their products and the service that comes with it.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:06:23 AM »
No, standard DVDs and BDs are not considered heavy items. Box sets are. And DVDs that come with T-Shirt (I'm a sucker for those old B-movie T-Shirts).

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »
Placed my first order with ImportCDs today. upon comparison with Amazon it was about 10% cheaper; and that was before I applied the promo code for 10 additional 10% off the complete order (until November 20, I think).

Will see how quickly the stuff arrives. I might permanently switch!

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:57:18 PM »
I've used them once and the shipping took 10-14 days which is about the same as Amazon.com for me. Unfortunately, they haven't been cheaper on anything else I've needed yet so I've only ever placed the one order, though I do order often for a Russian friend as they don't ship there.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »
I've used them once and the shipping took 10-14 days which is about the same as Amazon.com for me. Unfortunately, they haven't been cheaper on anything else I've needed yet so I've only ever placed the one order, though I do order often for a Russian friend as they don't ship there.
I created a spreadsheet to does the calculations for me. At one point I realized that product prices alone are deceiving, so I include shipping costs when comparing resellers. The product prices were often near Amazon's but shipping per item is half price! Since my order had many low prices items the difference in the total was 10%.

10-14 days is about what I get with Amazon.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
I like ImportCDs because they seem to be more customs friendly than Amazon. It used to be that customs targeted Amazon (US) shipments for VAT here in Sweden. I don't know if that's true any more, but I just feel safer ordering from lesser known suppliers. ImportCDs re-ships from within the EU, so they should be safe. But on the other hand that procedure means that they take a bit longer to deliver. My experience here in Sweden is that 3 weeks is the norm.

I was really surprised to find a Deep Discount catalog including in the latest shipment. Seems really odd that they would include catalogs from a competitor.  :shrug:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 05:27:18 AM »
Deep Discount is currently having their 25% sale. But I checked a few items, even after applying the discount the prices were mostly still higher than at the competition. I don'y think I will bother with them anymore.

I live in Asia (Taiwan), so I am not sure yet if they will do any sort of re-shipping for me.

I used to order everything with express service so I would get it quick. But eventually I realized than waiting a little while really wasn't a problem and stopped with that nonsense. Now it's up to the retailer (e.g. amazon.ca seems to use DHL often).

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »
Something seems to be seriously wrong at ImportCDs.com!

I have a title that has been on backorder since Dec 22 last year. It came into stock on Jan 29, but did not ship. OK, so maybe they had a lot of backorders. Then it came into stock again last Friday. It is still listed as in stock. When it did not ship on Friday I emailed them. No reply. Still did not ship on Monday. I emailed them again yesterday. No reply, no shipping. I have another order placed on Feb 4. Of the three items two are flagged as allocated, one as backordered. The backordered item is in stock, but the order does not ship.
:redcard:

Both of these orders were prepaid with Paypal. I'm getting seriously worried, not only because I have money tied up, but also because I don't know any good alternative to ImportCDs. I'd use Amazon, but the problem with them is that customs are much more on alert when it comes to big retailers like Amazon, and not only is VAT 25% over here, but when customs taxes a shipment they also add a handling cost of SEK 100 (about US$ 15) and delays the shipment about a week.

Whenever possible I use Amazon UK, but obviously there are a lot of Region 1/A titles that I cannot get from them.

[Edit] Going thru my emails I see that I did actually get a shipping notice for that second order, so it may just be the order history at their site that is (seriously) out of date. No emails about the old backorder, though. [/Edit]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:26:08 AM by GSyren »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 06:26:51 AM »
I order some stuff earlier this week and all but one item go shipped the next day.

I like them quite a lot. The above-mentioned order contains seven items, and I found that I could have only ordered six of those from Amazon (achieving the same total price. In other words, they are cheaper with almost everything. In Taiwan I just have to try to stay under USD100 and will have no further issues with the import.

Anyway, good to see that in the end it worked out better than you had thought.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 07:45:12 AM »
Well, better is not good enough. The fact that a box set that I ordered and paid for in December does not get shipped when they receive stock is bad enough. In addition, they don't answer support email and the order history info is at least two weeks out of date. So, what info can you depend on?

I have ordered quie a lot from them the last two years, but now my confidence in them has been severely eroded.