Author Topic: Ted  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Ted
« on: July 04, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »
Ted

I went to see this Friday and loved it.  It is hilarious..truly one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time.  The theater was packed..more than I had thought it would be. 

The story is interesting and on the original side with having a wish make a teddy bear come to life.  That is covered well in the first few minutes of the movie, with a narration by Patrick Stewart.  By the time the credits are over, the movie has jumped forward and John is 35 and has a few issues to deal with..some of which are tied to the fact that he still lives with his teddy bear.  The movie is very funny, though there is a more serious bit that turns up later on.  That part doesn't blend as well with the funny stuff, and it does mess up the pacing just a tad.  The movie is very entertaining overall though.  The humor is a bit rude at times and some people will be offended.  Anyone that has issues with Family Guy should probably skip this one since the same type of humor is used.  The movie just goes further with the rudeness than the series can.  Some of what is done is definitely twisted...but it is funny.  The movie deserves the R rating and is definitely not a movie for families.  Ted may be a cute looking talking teddy bear, but he drinks, smokes pot, swears like a sailor, and picks up hookers.  He is light years away from Winnie the Pooh.

The characters are very entertaining and John and Ted are great together.  Lori, John's girlfriend, starts off being very understanding about Ted, but then that changes a bit.  Donny is sort of a fan of Ted's..and really creepy. 

This is a really good, entertaining, and funny movie that is worth watching.  It isn't for everyone and the movie will probably offend some people.  It is not a kid movie, but unfortunately, people have ignored the ratings and been taking little kids too it.

I did manage to get a review posted on Epinions - before the cable went down after the nasty storm.

Ted

Najemikon

Re: Ted
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Not expecting a masterpiece, but I'm easily amused by Family Guy so I recognise I'm the target audience and shouldn't resist!  :P

One comment I saw in another review I thought sounded perceptive and fair, was that Seth MacFarlane needs to move on from constant pop culture references and prove he can create genuine comedy from nothing. I mean, I do like that, it is the basis of Family Guy, but if he does rely on it throughout his other projects he'll limit himself.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Ted
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
I hope you like it.  It is very enjoyable if you like this type of thing.  It is kind of like Family Guy in places...but it is way cruder. 

That is very true about the pop culture references.  They work in Family Guy most of the time and the ones in Ted worked and I don't think the movie relied completely on them.  This is his first movie though - the first non cartoon thing he's created too - so he still has time to develop and move on.  Though I guess I don't mind them when they work well.