Author Topic: Journey 2: The Mysterious Island  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »

I went to see this one in the theater.  I saw the normal version, but it also played in 3D.  I noticed several things during the movie that would have really taken advantage of the 3D.  I think I should have seen this one in 3D instead of Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

This one is a sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth, though it can stand alone fairly well.  Sean is the only returning character, and his uncle isn't even mentioned in this one.  That does seem a little odd since their relationship was so much stronger by the end of the first movie.  There was a new Loony Tunes cartoon featuring Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd before the movie that I really enjoyed.

Sean discovers a signal that he believes is a message from his missing grandfather.  His mother Liz and stepfather Hank don't believe it, but Hank has the idea to go on a trip with Sean to bond with him. They arrive on the island of Palau and charter a helicopter to go to where Sean believes the island is.  They run into a horrible storm and crash on the island, eventually finding Sean's grandfather Alexander. 

The movie is a bit silly, but I think that works for the movie.  It is a fun, family friendly adventure movie that doesn't resort to crude or gross jokes.  Things from Jules Verne's books are mentioned at different times in the movie.  I haven't read any of the books, so I have no idea if they were accurate or not.  There is a bit of suspense in a few scenes, but the movie isn't suspenseful overall.  It is just a fun, entertaining movie.  I really enjoyed it and I'll probably add it to my collection at some point.  The characters are likable for the most part, though Luiz Guzman does get a tad irritating at times.  I did really like Dwayne Johnson as Hank.  It seems like he was having fun with the movie.

This one could be too silly for some people, but it is fun and enjoyable.  It does set up another movie at the end and I would see it if it gets made. 

I did get a longer review posted at Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.